Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Cukel posted:

Going to spend 4 days in New York in a few weeks, most likely solo. Thanks for all the suggestions in this thread, looks like I'll have a lot of things to do! More won't hurt though, so if anyone has any suggestions for good cheap places to eat (like 10-20 dollars) or bars/pubs, I'd be thankful. My hostel is in the very upper Upper West Side so places around there would be the most convenient, though I guess I might as well tour around Manhattan as much as I can :)

A personal favorite that I don't recall being recommended in any of these threads is Croxley's Ale. In my opinion the best wings in Manhattan, and frequently very cheap -- 10c wing nights on M/T and sometimes W, and 20c wings on weekend afternoons. They also have a great, thoughtfully constructed beer menu with a special focus on Belgian beers. Can get a little crowded especially if a major sporting event coincides with cheap wing time, but the bar is friendly and it's a pretty good place for flying solo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod
The old asylum is luxury condos now and the smallpox hospital ruins are fenced off from pretty far out. The tram might be worth riding once if you've never done it before, but once you get there you might as well just ride back.

quote:

If we want something that is fairly good "luxury for the dollar" how is the Waldorf Astoria? With my Hilton members card I can get $280 for the single night stay there. My wife likes the idea of the decorations.

This is probably too late, but: on the one hand, it's the Waldorf, which is kind of fun just to be in and say you've stayed at; on the other hand, a lot of the rooms really show their age, and not in a good B&B/antique way. A lot of people I know who have stayed there recently have been pretty disappointed.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Miranda posted:

My mum and I are going to NY in December. I live in Savannah, GA now and she is coming to visit me (from Aus) so we're going up for a few days. Now we were thinking of saving money by taking the train, which I'm cool with also because of seeing the countryside. But we do lose days that way...is it worth it??

Can anyone suggest affordable hotels/hostels that aren't awful?

You not only lose days but I'm guessing if you compare flights the price will be similar. If you can get up to Atlanta, it will probably be cheaper than flying out of Savannah.

I don't know much about the hostel scene, but in my experience the biddingfortravel/betterbidding and priceline combo works great for NYC.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

CaptainPsyko posted:

Recommendations

Wow, I think we must have the same taste buds because this is almost word for word what I would have suggested.

A few more things to add:

-- Of the traditional NYC style coal oven pizza places, I'd usually recommend Lombardi's to tourists because it's easy to get to and you can frequently get in without a crowd (although if you really don't want to go out of your way the Totonno's chain locations in Manhattan make a surprisingly good pie too). The other advantage to Lombardi's is that its right across the street from another favorite for dessert -- Rice to Riches. Picture Baskin Robbins but with rice pudding.

-- Shake shack is probably my favorite fast-food style burger anywhere, but I think there is a little variance among the locations. The Mad Square Park one is probably both the most consistent and unique, but it tends to be mobbed on nice days, and, well, it's outdoors on not-so-nice days. It's not a huge difference, but I have generally thought the UWS location to be the best combo in terms of consistency and also avoiding crowds (although all of them can get crowded)

-- Like somebody said elsewhere cheesesteaks are more of a philly thing, but if you decide you must have one Wogie's is probably the place to go. A wide variety of other monstrously unhealthy but delicious choices there too.

-- If you are focused on experiencing some fast food style deliciousness, and the questions above seem like you are, definitely go to Katz's. It's touristy as hell, but the kind of place that is touristy because it can be. The pastrami really does measure up to almost anywhere and the brisket (Jewish not Texan) is awesome too.

-- Also, I'd recommend taking an evening to wander around and then just stop in somewhere random that doesn't look like much from the outside but has an interesting menu. I found so many great little spots this way when I lived in the city, and it's one of the things I miss the most because there are few other places in the U.S. where you can do this kind of thing. Just a tiny restaurant that can barely fit two tables across, but has delicious food at reasonable (for NYC) prices and treats you like a regular -- that's the quintessential NYC dining experience from my memory.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

CaptainPsyko posted:

Totonno's Manhattan locations closed a year or so ago. He couldn't make rent on them. :(

Well drat, I moved a year and a half ago :(. I lived near the one on 2nd in the 80s and also for a couple of years near the one on 2nd in kips bay. Always a great place to get a beer and a decent pie with no wait or hassle, although the lack of a wait may point to why he couldn't make rent.

Guess it's a blessing and a curse how dynamic the city is. My favorite Thai place just about anywhere closed a week or so before we moved.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

bobula posted:

So I "reserved" tickets for a Colbert Report taping in January, and the email they sent said "Tickets will be given out on a first-come, first-served basis. All shows are overbooked to ensure capacity and no one is guaranteed entry."
The email also said "we recommend you get in line no later than 15 minutes prior to 6 pm"
Realistically, how early should I get there in order to get in?

e: also, average tipping rate in NYC.

This is anecdotal as I never attended a live Colbert taping, but from what I've heard I'd say realistically about an hour early, closer to 2 if you want to be safe.

The tipping rate is similar to anywhere else in the US, without starting a huge tipping flame war 18%ish won't get you evil stares anywhere.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

dsh posted:

Sorry if this is off topic, but I'm interviewing for a job in Brooklyn in a few weeks and need to catch a flight out to Utah immediately after. How long will it take me to get from New York Methodist Hospital (506 6th Street in Brooklyn) to JFK airport taking a cab around 5pm? My flight leaves at 730 and I'm concerned I will miss it. Thanks!

edit: This would be a Thursday.

A cab trip to JFK can be unpredictable at rush hour that's pretty close and you should be OK. Should be mostly local streets. I have no idea how easy it is to hail a cab in that part of brooklyn at that time of day.

quote:

Everything else is more expensive, too.

Yeah this is something I don't think people moving to the city consider. It can be punishingly expensive in almost every respect. The expensive rent is well known, but I think a lot of people don't understand how ridiculously expensive other basic things like groceries, booze, entertainment, etc can be. A 30 day metrocard means transit can be less expensive than other cities, but the MTA can be a huge pain in the dick and you will have to be disciplined to get the most out of it. There are other ways to budget and save money, but again, it will require more discipline and sacrifice than most other places in the country and you will find it difficult until you have some experience and know the right tips and tricks.

Before that happens, you can start hemorrhaging money and not even realize it. You'll go for a simple little Thursday night out with some friends, and you start putting away a few domestic beers, then you are buzzed and it's cold and you don't really want to deal with waiting for the train so you hail a cab, then you have the munchies so on the way back to your apartment you grab some falafel and maybe stop at the bodega for some more beer and a pack of smokes, and then before you know it that simple little night out has become a $75-100+ affair without having really done anything unusually decadent. Trust me, when I moved to NYC, I had a 6 figure job lined up and found myself running out of money the first few months. Even on that sort of salary I had to budget judiciously. And it's just hard to realize how the expenses will pile up and how is best to minimize them until you've experienced it. You may find yourself just tearing through your savings and not being familiar with the ways you have to budget, save money, and otherwise stop the bleeding, the city will tear you up and spit you out with frightening ease.

I second the advice to speak with your cousin, and if you are close maybe see if you can crash with him for a few weeks just to get a feel for things. Try to use this time to get a job lined up. I would never feel comfortable advising anybody moving to the city without a job and a good, realistic budgeting plan unless you have ridiculous amounts of money saved up.

If I sound like I'm biased or ranting a little bit, that may be true, because my wife and I moved from NYC recently because of how expensive it is. But it's an incredible city and I'd hate to dissuade anybody from spending a few years of their life there. And it's so much unlike anywhere else in the world that you may find you never want to live anywhere else. There are many things I miss about it frequently. I still check and post in this thread out of nostalgia. But you're not going to be getting the most out of the amazing city if you are jobless, budget-challenged, and generally getting beaten up financially and feeling like you are in constant survival mode.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Busy Bee posted:

Looking to get from 116th and Amsterdam (Columbia University) to JFK on Monday morning. So far my best bet is the $45 flat rate Taxi. My flight departs at 9:25 am. What's my best bet and how long should I expect for it to take me to get to JFK?
Could I prepay for my taxi ride with a credit card before they pick me up?

In addition to the fact that you will be traveling in rush hour, keep in mind that hailing a cab can take a while at busy times (god help you if it's both rush hour and bad weather), so budget in a little time for that as well. You won't be able to pre pay but all city cabs have card readers now (the rare driver may bitch and moan or even try to claim the reader is broken but if you have to pay by card, pay no attention)

Car service is a little more expensive in my experience, especially to JFK because of the flat cab rate, but has the advantage of a pickup at a set time. You can decide how much that is worth to you.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Banannah posted:

I'm booking a trip to New York through Expedia and they offer a shuttle service from JFK to the hotel and vice versa for around $20 (including tolls and gratuity) each way. I'm not too bothered about getting a shuttle to the hotel but my flight back to the UK is at 7pm and I'm not sure how easy the subway would be to navigate at that time on a Saturday with a suitcase. Would it be worth booking the shuttle for the trip from the hotel to the airport?

The subway will be fairly quiet at mid afternoon on a Saturday, but depending on how much luggage you have and whether you have to make any transfers it can be a little bit of a hassle any time of day. So it's always a question of cost vs convenience. Note that the airport shuttles can vary some in quality too depending on how tightly they pack people in.

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

Tigertron posted:

Does anyone have experience with paid iOS apps. I have picked up most of the free ones but I would like to know if there are any must have apps for tourist travel?

Also, I have been reading up on subway fare and for a 5 day trip, the 7-day unlimited is a no brainer am I correct?

7 day unlimited is a great deal so long as you are disciplined and use the subway/buses to get around. Per ride it often winds up being a better deal for most tourists than unlimited monthly or prepaid cards are for residents.

I've never used any paid NYC tourists apps but the not for tourists guide is a pretty solid book and I would expect the app to be decent. The standard map app plus a good subway and bus route map should get you a long way if you otherwise plan out what you want to see.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VonHugenstein
Feb 16, 2004
They Call Him Monsterrod

SimonNotGarfunkel posted:

I'm sure this has been discussed but I'm on a lovely Internet connection so cant look through the whole thread.

I'd like to go see a
Broadway show preferably death of a salesman but cheap tickets are hard to come by online.

Am I best queuing up at one of the ticket offices on the day?is there a best time to go?

TKTS is the best option for discount theater tickets. Just go early.

• Locked thread