Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Hey guys, I learned Chinese so that I can write shame in another language

Sheep-Goats posted:

prix fixe (it's French and basically pronounced "price fix"

man, it really is quite amazing how often you manage to be wrong on top of misogynistic/racist :(

(It's "pree fix" if you must mangle the French)

hitension fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Sep 21, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Some say 15% is standard, some say 20% is standard. You can't really go wrong with tipping on the high end. I worked as a server in the US and I usually got 20% tips (to the point where if I got a 15% tip, I'd wonder what I'd do wrong) but I was a really kickass server too. If you get bad service obviously it's okay to tip less like 10-15%, but I would never not tip as servers are paid less than minimum wage and must use your tip to make their wages.

On the plus side, the server is AT YOUR WHIM and if you do get bad food or something, you can usually complain and get a replacement for free (doesn't work so well at inexpensive non-chain restaurants). American service culture is pretty weird.

hitension fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Feb 19, 2012

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

http://supervegan.com/restaurants.php
Seriously there are SO MANY vegan options in the NYC area and lots of them are just as good as non-vegan food. It's a little tough on a traditional holiday such as Christmas, but I go get vegan food with my bff all the time and I am an omnivore who is very happy with 99% of the options.

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

Despite the reputation I think New York is a great city to do on the cheap. Try walking around, Canal Street (Chinatown) has lots of little shops, the Staten Island Ferry is free, tons of great parks (Central Park obviously), the Met has a "suggested donation" and you can pay as much as you can afford.

You have to plan carefully to make sure you don't walk into a $200 a plate restaurant or something but there's so much cheap food to be had too, of basically every kind you can imagine. I was gonna put some recommendations but good cheap restaurants are so plentiful. Well, I can try: Shanghai Asian Cuisine, Cafe Habana, Yakitori Taisho... Don't know what you like to eat but just yelp the food you want and select the single $ option and you won't be disappointed.

hitension fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Apr 28, 2013

hitension
Feb 14, 2005

I speed run museums as much as anyone and 2 hours is not enough for the Met. Try 6-8 and you still won't see everything.

• Locked thread