Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005
I sure hope I don't get banned

cheese eats mouse posted:

I don't have archives so can I bump for things to do around New Year's Eve? Is it worth the headache to go to Times Square for the ball drop? It's sort of a bucket list thing for my boyfriend and I.

Huge pain. Tightly packed, massive annoying security apparatus, freezing cold most years or rainy. But hey, you've got to do it once.

quote:

I'll be going with more to spend so I'm looking for consignment stores to shop for used designer clothing. Oh and sweet, sweet record stores. It's looking like Dec 28/29-Jan 3/4 for our time span there.

Then DEFINITELY check out the Macy's on 34th street. It's like Christmas Mecca.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Illegibly Eligible posted:

I'm leaving Green Bay, WI and heading to NYC tomorrow and will be there for five days. I'm staying at the Wyndham Times Square and have an entertainment budget of about $100/day. I'd (mostly) like to avoid having to take a cab anywhere. Any bars with amazing drink specials? Any ideas for activities? I prefer to be active and/or have my mind stimulated - I'm not a huge fan of going to the movies or other "passive" entertainment but will gladly hit up an indoor driving range, arcade, or art gallery. A non-pretentious coffee shop where I could get in a game of chess would be nice.

"Amazing" drink specials will run no less than $3 a beer and $5 well drinks during happy hour. $8 beers and $14 well drinks are not uncommon. Try college bars around NYU (near Union Square, Astor Place, Gramercy, etc), or most anywhere divey in the East Village. You're going to get absolutely gouged if you go bar-hopping in Times Square or Midtown. I'm a big fan of the shittiest bar in the world called The Continental, which gives you 5 shots of anything for $10 on a tray you're guaranteed to spill before drinking half of it. It's a reasonable place to pre-game if you'd rather not pound a bottle of vodka in your hotel room, and there's a 50/50 chance they'll be showing Scarface on the projector screen when you go.

If you want to check out art galleries, see the MoMA (53rd st) or the Guggenheim (Central Park east). There's loads more to see as well if that's not enough for you; the Metropolitan Museum of Art (call it the "Met") is another biggie, and their Cloisters (a medieval themed botanic gardens) is pretty cool too, but it might be closed this time of year. But get outside man. It's Fall in New York. Go to the park and play chess there.

quote:

Is it hard to find :420: in NYC if you don't know anybody and want to avoid potential injury?

Not really, but you know the rules here.

quote:

Also, I have a large unkempt beard which hides a clean-shaven neck... will I be more likely stereotyped as a bum or a terrorist? I'm white and it's been 10 years so I'm thinking bum, but I like to wear nice clothes and lack the smell of urine.

You will look like a normal everyday hipster, except for the clean-shaven neck. You'll probably get fewer disdainful looks than other tourists.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bobula posted:

Things I need to eat the most delicious of in NYC:
Cheesesteak
Pizza/Italian (within budgetary reason, not more than $20 pp tops)
Hamburger
Ramen??

I'll offer what help I can;

Cheesesteaks aren't really a big deal in NYC, so I'm not really sure on this one. Find yourself a crowded greek dinner and get theirs.

The BEST pizza is Di Fara's in Brooklyn. The lines are long and most people get the Sicilian, so it's not really archetypal NY-style pizza. But it's a pilgrimage worth making. For simplicity, I like a place called Sacco on the West Side, but it's hard to go wrong. Stay away from chains or any place that claims to be "Famous" or "Rays".

The BEST hamburger is the lamb burger at The Breslin. This is not up for debate, but it's on the pricier side.

Add bagels and hot dogs. For bagels, I like Bob's Bagels on East 10th street (though I'm sure there's plenty just as good all over the place). For hot dogs, find a dude on a the street with a cart and get it with the works.

quote:

e: Also, any tips if I'm hoping to see The Book Of Mormon while I'm there for like, less than a hundred bux? It looks pretty... sold out.

Probably not gonna happen, but there's a box office in Times Square that sells same-day tickets if you're lucky. If you can't see Book of Mormon, see something else!

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bobula posted:

I'm getting hungry just reading this :9
I'm not a fan of lamb though, so if you got a beef burger suggestion I'd like to hear it.

Don't be thrown off by the lamb. It tastes like ultra-tender beef, and it's probably in the top three best burgers I've ever eaten in my life.

It really depends on what your preferences are; Are you looking for a 50s-style burger place that does it ultra greasy with a mountain of fries and serves milkshakes and poo poo too? Or are you looking for a monstrous steakhouse-style you need to eat using a knife and fork with thick-cut fries?

Alternatively, if you're going to have a car or you don't mind wasting a few hours figuring out how to navigate the public transit in New Jersey, this place has literally the best sliders on planet.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

bobula posted:

I'm looking for something just plain delicious and not overly greasy, with good ingredients. My favorite burger here is In-N-Out, so it doesn't have to be high class. But since you say the lamb isn't lamby, I'll probably try that. I just had issues with the texture of it but it probably doesn't matter when it's ground up.

Then I think you want Shake Shack.

The lamb burger at the Breslin is pretty high class. From their menu; "Chargrilled lamb burger with feta, cumin mayo and thrice cooked chips $21". It's insanely good and unlike any burger you've had before, but it's not a simple grab 'n go type deal.

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 10, 2011

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Illegibly Eligible posted:

Not NYC specific ... so if you're going to a strongly ethnic restaurant you may want to familiarize yourself with specifics.

Don't do this. Tip the way New Yorkers do, regardless of how ethnic the restaurant is. Nothing for fast food or any self-service, 15-20% at restaurants depending on service, $1 per drink to bartenders (or more if you're feeling generous or want to get served faster).

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

emtoor posted:

Also ice skating in Central Park would be ideal!

They might still be doing ice skating in Bryant Park as well if Central Park gets really crowded (which it probably will).

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

SkunkDuster posted:

I'm not at all familiar with the buildings of NYC, so this my be kind of dumb, but is that the Empire State building just to the right of the New Yorker building in the fist picture? What is the other tall building just to the right of that?

Yes, that is the empire state building. As for the other, if you're talking about the tall building in the background where you can just barely make out the spire, that's the Chrysler building. If you're talking about the boxy building closer to the foreground with the ambigram of "1" in red, that's One Penn Plaza.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

CaptainPsyko posted:

Are you sure that's the Chrysler?

Looking East from the West side, wouldn't the Chrysler be to the left of the ESB? It's about 10 blocks to the north after all.

Well I'm not sure any more

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Ommin posted:

1. Where is the best place to be for the firework display over the Statue of Liberty?

2. What advice can locals give to someone with social anxiety and a fear of crowds heading to NYC?

1. It's always been my opinion that the best place to see it is on TV. The fireworks usually aren't over the Statue; the barges are anchored in the Hudson between 23rd and 59th street. Most of the piers will be hosting private events, but the West Side Highway is closed down and allows pedestrians.

2. This is a tough one. Everyone will look irritable, move quickly and ignore you unless you are in their way (and you will perpetually be in someone's way). Just chill out and realize that this doesn't mean you're doing anything wrong. Everyone in New York is an a-hole and idiot, including you, when moving from place to place, but awesome and super nice once they get there. New York city will be crowded and touristy as all gently caress - a full-on throng of people on every sidewalk and every corner. That's the experience. Embrace it.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Mr_Zombie posted:

3) What's Coney Island like? Anything to look out for if we head that way?

Russians :haw:

But seriously, if it's a nice day, I guess it could be worth your while. The boardwalk area still has a Roaring 20s era/carnival feel to it, so that's cool. Maybe try to catch a Cyclones game? I've only ever been there as an adult during the height of summer, when it's a bit more happening. There's always the aquarium, but there's a lot more attractions elsewhere in New York that would be higher on my list if I were visiting for the first time.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

dmccaff posted:

Going to New York from Ireland with some family in July, first time in the USA. I'd like to catch a Broadway show - do I need to book online now? Also, is there a dress code or anything for Broadway? I don't think I'd be bothered going if I have to pack a suit.

If there's something in particular that you want to see, then yes, try to book it now. Otherwise, there are "TKTS" booths littered around touristy parts of the city (e.g. there's a famous one in Times Square) where you can buy same-day tickets or next-day matinees to whatever shows happen to be unsold at the time. The line could take like an hour or so, but if you just want to spontaneously pick a show this basically the only way to do it without actually going down to the box office of every theater and seeing if they have seats available.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

screenwritersblues posted:

9/11 happens to fall on that Tuesday, so that's out of the question

Is this some kind of superstition thing?

quote:

I know that they are going to want to go to the top of the Empire State building, are we better off buying tickets in advanced if we want to go or are we better off buying them the day of.

Depends, but I guess it couldn't hurt. http://www.esbnyc.com/buy_tickets.asp

There's usually some dudes in red shirts on the streets near the entrance that sell tickets on the spot, so unless its obscenely crowded you shouldn't have a problem buying the day of. Be prepared to wait in line though.

quote:

Also, what would be some cool things, besides Times Square, because I know that I have to take him there, because he's never see it before, that a person who has never been to NYC to experience.

I'm thinking about taking them downtown after doing the "touristy" stuff. Is this a smart idea or should I just stick to Midtown since he's never really been to the city.

Where do you mean by downtown? The Village? Chinatown/Little Italy? The financial district? There's touristy stuff to do all over the place. All of those will be pretty cool culture shocks to a Texas recluse.

quote:

Finally, should I have the two of them make a list of things that they would like to see or is this not a smart idea.

Why would that be a bad idea? New York is massive, and not every person gets as excited about Rockefeller plaza as the person standing next to them, so finding out what they want to do will make it much, much easier. If they come up with something that strikes you as unusual, you can always ask about it here.

quote:

Also how safe is Central Park? I have a feeling that he might want to see and I never really had the urge to go there.

The rule of thumb is that if the sun is out it's fine, but it's sort of a dated one at this point. If there's a big night event going on like a concert or something, it will be perfectly safe basically at all hours.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Mephysteaux posted:

Also, does anyone have much experience with the Chinatown bus? I figure it'll save me some cash. I'm a bit wary of it, though, just because a few years back I was living near DC, and my then-girlfriend took the Chinatown bus to visit me, and one of her rides ended up leaving 2 hours late. I don't know if that's a regular occurrence, or if she was just unlucky.

They'll usually leave on time nowadays, but that doesn't mean they'll arrive on time.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Ormy posted:

2. Aside from all the touristy stuff; is there anything we should really do while we are there? It will be my first time in America and basically I would like to be American for a week!

If you're gonna be in the neighborhood of Rockefeller Plaza (and why wouldn't you?) try riding the mechanical bull with the bankers at Johnny Utah's. That's pretty American right there.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

clockworkjoe posted:

Also, I did manage to score a ticket to see the daily show. How early should I show up?

Early enough not to have your space taken by a stand-by.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Shane-O-Mac posted:

Also, how do transfers work when going from subway to bus and vice-versa? MTA.info makes it out like transferring from subway to bus is free, but I don't see how that's possible because you need to leave the station to get on the bus.

It's done by time. You can transfer from subway to bus or vice-versa within two hours of swiping the card to get into/onto the first leg.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

I'm heading into NYC on Friday and have to get up to The Met by 10:00 Am for a 10:15 tour. I'm catching an 8:12 out of the train station near my home in NJ. I then have to walk to Grand Central from Penn, which is fine, and catch the 6 train up town. However my question is where is the 6 train in Grand Central? I've looked for a map to help me find it, but I've had no luck in finding on. Can anyone help me out at all or is it pretty easy to find?

Well first, don't walk from Penn to Grand central. That'll kill ~25-30 minutes when the subway will take half of that.

Take the 1, 2, or 3 uptown towards times square (should be one stop), then transfer to the Shuttle (will be labeled as "S"), then follow the signs to the 6 uptown (you can also take the 4 or the 5, which are express, and will just slightly overshoot the stop you're planning to take to the Met.

If you DO decide to walk it, the subway entrance will be indoors at the southeast side of the station. On google maps, it'll be in the corner where 42nd street meets the elevated park ave viaduct (ground-level is called the "42nd street passage"). There's an entrance there, and the subway will be immediately on the right.

If you enter the station from a different point, go to the main concourse (the place with the central clock and star mural on the giant ceilings. You'll know). Look for the Apple store, and walk underneath it on the right-hand side. The arch above that passage should read "Lexington Passage, 4,5,6,7 Shuttle", or something similar. Take a right once you go through, and the stairs/escalators to the subway will be on your left-hand side near the exit doors at the end of the hall.

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 15, 2014

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

Holy crap, this is what I'm going to do. Thank you so much.

Alternatively, you can skip grand central altogether, and just walk from Penn a few avenues over to whichever station with a 6 is closest. 33rd and Park, I think. Depending on the weather, this could be a lot simpler.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

This is much better. I'm gonna do this instead. It's gonna be a lot faster too from the look of it.

Eh, I think it'll take about the same amount, since during rush hour you won't have to wait more than a minute or so for transfers. But just walking to the 6 will be loads less complicated. Do that. Unless you want to go to the Zaro's/Junior's at grand central or something.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

Looking for a recommendation for a place that has a giant selection of unique beers anywhere in Manhattan.

Also, can anyone offer a suggestion or two for a half fancy kind of meal in Manhattan? I'll be vacationing with three friends for five days, all weekdays, and we'll be eating slices of pizza, food cart/truck food, deli food etc for 90% of the time. We were thinking of having one semi "nice" dinner one of the nights. Preferably Italian or American. Our budget would be around $50/person on the high end.

Do you know around where in Manhattan you'll be staying? There's a trillion great places, but it'll help to know around where might be most convenient for you.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

nWoCHRISnWo posted:

New Yorker, but we'll be in most areas of Manhattan south of Central Park at at least one point during our trip, and in Brooklyn once or twice as well.

The Breslin.

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

I'm going to be coming into new york through jfk, then taking public transit to astoria. I'm planning on taking the airtrain to the jamaica station, then catching the E train and transfering to the NQ and getting off at the Ditmars stop.

Anything to be aware of? Like what appear to be a a couple weird transfers?

Yeah, it's just a couple of weird transfers. If you're travelling with anyone else you should just take a cab. It'll be way simpler and save you like an hour (traffic notwithstanding).

bam thwok fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Apr 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bam thwok
Sep 20, 2005

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Cool, yeah it's just me so I'm trying to avoid dropping a hundo on a gypsy cab while I'm all tired and jet laggy. Public transit it is.

Taxis are pretty tightly regulated in NYC, especially at the airports. As long as you go to the taxi stand instead of saying "yes" to the first person at baggage claim who tries to manhandle your luggage and asks if you need a cab, the chance of getting swindled is effectively 0%.

If I had to choose between spending $10 plus 1.5 hours of groggy bag-hauling through multiple transfers versus dropping $50 bucks on the taxi and not worrying about anything by the skyline for the 20-30 minutes it would take, it'd be a no-brainer. But I don't know your budget.

quote:

What are some good concert venues in the like, 5-10$ range?

Depends on where you're going to be spending most of your time/what you like. Don't really have any advice if jazz clubs are your thing or something. For rock dive venues in lower Manhattan, I like the Mercury Lounge and Bowery Ballroom. More like $10-$25 though. There's cheaper stuff in Brooklyn, but I don't have direct experience.

• Locked thread