Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!
Hello all. I'm looking at going to New York this coming weekend (probably Saturday afternoon - Tuesday afternoon). I'm looking for recommendations on hostels to stay in. I'll be traveling alone and am looking forward to exploring the city alone, but meeting some new people would be awesome and probably easier in a hostel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

QuantumDeep
Dec 15, 2005

Dude! I'm about to bust a mad slizzice in ya insides!

SwivelTits2000 posted:

Sorry it's a little late, but for future reference:

Hosteling International has a location up around 103 & Amsterdam that is cheap and reasonable. By "reasonable" I mean that it's technically adequate. There's hot water, in-room lockers, organized tours, and a high level of safety. The building is also interesting and it has the biggest age range of hostelers I've ever seen. The bathrooms are outdated and cramped with poor ventilation. The heating makes it an inferno all year long; you will sleep with your window open when it's 20 below outside. But I still recommend it as an absolute minimum standard because the surrounding neighborhood is great. You'll get the true NY experience of having everything you need within a block or two. Restaurants, barbers, c-stores, hole-in-the-wall restaurants, dive bars, chain stores, you name it, walk no more than three blocks in any direction and you'll find it. There are two subway stations within easy walking distance on Broadway.

Haha, this is actually where I ended up staying. Everything you said is pretty much accurate. It had the bare essentials in terms of the rooms, and I can attest to the rooms being VERY warm (the four of us in the room unanimously decided to keep the window open all day and night). Met a bunch of great people on the tours and pub crawls. Paid $60 per night including tax and the HI "Temporary membership" fee. Would definitely recommend it to someone who's just looking for a bed for the night but still wants to meet people.

• Locked thread