Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

How important is the neighbourhood you stay in to you guys? We're ready to put down our booking in airbnb now, but still not set on where exactly to stay. Not because nowhere looks right, but more that everywhere looks cool. Two places I'm looking at at the moment couldn't be more different (one on Orchard St, LES that's pretty small but the street itself looks great, and one on the Williamsburg Waterfront that's twice the size but in a quieter looking area).

I'm guessing easy access to the subway kinda lowers the importance on where your base is? I thought staying out of Manhattan would make life a little bit harder, but it really doesn't seem that this is the case. The more I look around street view, the more I realise just how little time 7 nights is for a city as big as this. The only concern I have is getting back home after midnight - I know the 7 day unlimited travel card only runs up until 12am and that the subway is a little sketchy then, especially as we're likely to have at least a few drinks in us. Having a good nightlife in the local area would probably help out in that respect, but I'm sure everywhere has good bars (or a liquor store at least!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Ah sorry, just a 7 day vacation. Thanks for the info on the subway, a bit gross I can handle to be honest! Regardless of where we stay, I think we'll be heading out to as many of the different areas as possible... I watch too much Bourdain to really care that much about landmarks and getting to the tops of towers, I just want to explore, eat and drink!

Now to start making insane lists of everything I want to do in each area, because it's likely that once we've finished for the day, there won't be time to go back!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I think that's pretty much the plan, fill my travel app notes with more stuff than humanly possible for each area then narrow it down to something big for the afternoon/evening with ideas for food and a few drinks.

Sleep No More does sound really interesting, and definitely not like anything I've ever done before. I'll throw the link to the site to my friend, and see if he's up for it. I take it the $95 ticket price is pretty much the lowest you can get it? It is quite expensive, but I'd like to give it a shot.

Haha yeah I know Katz' from TV shows and friends, I watched some show where they had a blind taste test between them and the 2nd Ave lot. Both looked awesome to me, so hope to hit at least one of them!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I'm throwing everything I have at the trip, definitely don't want to come back thinking 'drat, I wish we'd done x'. Only problem is I was relying on a few months of overtime rates to pay for all the awesome stuff, and guess who's had all their overtime cut? Great timing. At least the flights are paid for, and hoping to cover accommodation and some of the other expenses with Christmas money. January becomes eBay time and hunting for extra work!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

You're probably best asking in the LAN NYC thread, they're always talking about where to move to there.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Strangest post of the day alert:

When I was waiting in the Metro and hearing the subway trains leave, the noise they make to me sounded just like the first note of Moby's Extreme Ways. My friend didn't know the song so he couldn't confirm that I'm not just a mad person.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICjyAe9S54c

Feel free to have me locked up.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Haha awesome, I remember hearing that signature on some of the trains but I don't really know WSS that well so didn't connect the two.

I was mainly riding the L so I managed to find a clip on YT that has the signature I recall, just after about 45 seconds in you can hear it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1dyPcpy8K0

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I listened to the embedded radio clip on the earlier piece, can definitely hear Somewhere in it. I think I must've heard it when I was on the 4. The sound on the L is different though, that's the one I think sounds like the first note of the Moby track (which is then repeated straight away, all happens in the first second or so).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTIkDmNVJeA

Maybe this one works in the US? I know all too well about it being a pain in the rear end when YouTube clips won't work in my country!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I found hopstop to be my favourite way when I visited.

Found the cabs a nightmare personally, but we were heading outside of manhattan and into williamsburg. This seemed to confuse the crap out of lots of cab drivers.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah we went to Barcade on our last night, a Monday. It was pretty quiet, all the games were 25c and in perfect working order. Really fun place, we don't have anything like it here as it would get overrun with morons who'd break the machines and clog them with sick.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Sounds like Sleep No More.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Digger posted:

Also a list of cool galleries, experiences and bars would be appreciated. I am absolutely going to be checking out Barcade with a bag full of quarters!

When we went last year we stayed in Williamsburg - like karl fungus says, it's stupid easy to get into Manhattan and a bit cheaper. We had a really nice apartment that was a few minutes walk from the Metro, which was then 1 stop away from Manhattan. We went to Barcade on our last night, it's a super fun place and the games are 25c each. The best thing about it was they keep the cabinets in immaculate condition, all the controls work perfectly and you'll have a blast if you like classic video gaming. The beers decent too, and I couldn't help but pick up a T-shirt to advertise them wherever I may go.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Seconded. Upside down crosses for the toilet door handles, too cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

That one on Kent Ave might be a place I used last year. One of the economy, but still nice imo, apartments in The Edge. Amazing view of Manhattan at night, nice dude as the landlord and a few minutes walk from the Bedford Ave Metro, and the next stop you're in Manhattan.

• Locked thread