Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
J Corp
Oct 16, 2006

I risked hypothermia and broken limbs and all I got was this shitty avatar and a severe case of shrinkage
Southampton, England.

I've slept for 7 hours over the last 3 days, non-consecutively, so of course I'm at a bar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

J Corp posted:

Southampton, England.

I've slept for 7 hours over the last 3 days, non-consecutively, so of course I'm at a bar.

Smart thing to do, they can't make you work if you're not onboard! How long you got left?

The manning situation in Canada is still retarded, and getting worst. As in they can't provide reliefs for third mates. I know guys who've had four weeks off, non-contiguous, since March. I managed to get my month off anyway. :smug: Temporary job supremacy!

And I'm supposed to go back for like four months starting in November :saddowns: That's what I get for taking October to June off work to do something else, I guess.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Been off for 3 weeks and its almost time to look for work again. I need another 50ish days this year. I realized I get a little weired and grumpy after about 100 days or so.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Heard from recent grads that they are working without relief on the lakes as 3rd assistants, too, as far as America goes.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

(Edit: Removed some stuff)

Seriously, if anybody in Canada is considering a career at sea, let me know, I'll do what I can to help.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 13, 2013

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm currently sitting in Tauranga harbour and I'm mad as hell.
I can see those loving morons sitting on the reef from our bridge. There is HFO globs floating in the loving harbour and god drat I am mad as gently caress about this. This is a well-known, well-documented, highly visible reef that some idiots smashed straight into, Maritime NZ has done precisely gently caress and all about pollution prevention and we're looking at anywhere up to 1400 tons of HFO being dumped into the ocean on one of the best diving spots around Tauranga. What in the gently caress is wrong with those morons I hope every single jackass on that boat gets a loving reaming and loses their tickets for life. I'll get some photos when I go ashore later today.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

Maritime NZ has done precisely gently caress and all about pollution prevention and we're looking at anywhere up to 1400 tons of HFO being dumped into the ocean on one of the best diving spots around Tauranga.
What do you mean, they don't have booms out yet?

And don't worry, it won't dump the full 1400 tons. I doubt they breached ALL their tanks, and I heard they were already offloading the poo poo to barges.

(For the record, 1400 tons of HFO is about a month and a half worth of fuel for a ship like that.)

quote:

What in the gently caress is wrong with those morons I hope every single jackass on that boat gets a loving reaming and loses their tickets for life.
:laugh:
The Captain and the OOW might get fired. If they don't go to jail, they'll be back on a boat in a couple of months at the most.

Welcome to the maritime industry! But don't worry, we'll all get a lot of half-assed circular letters on Bridge Ressource Management, ECDIS use or, my favorite, fatigue, to make sure this doesn't. ever. happen. again. Because that would be bad.

I'd be curious to see pictures, tho, if you do end up getting them.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

From what my lecturers (former masters) have told me, they think it's pretty likely that the ship could break up. There's already major cracks in the hull.

And no, no pollution booms. It's absolutely unbelievable.

But yeah, barges are there offloading which is something, I guess. But honestly, this is a loving travesty and I simply cannot believe how pisspoor maritime nz's response has been.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
What happened? Post pics.

FV NZ is pretty short on engineers currently right? Whats it take to get a job down there coming from the US? Any idea?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...o-1226164873611

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15212641

lightpole posted:

FV NZ is pretty short on engineers currently right? Whats it take to get a job down there coming from the US? Any idea?

I'm in Canada; I don't know what it takes to come here from the US; I've never met anyone who's done it. Isn't there something about how the US isn't a signatory to STCW or something like that that makes it more difficult for you guys? I think I heard that somewhere.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Oct 13, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...o-1226164873611

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15212641

I'm in Canada; I don't know what it takes to come here from the US; I've never met anyone who's done it. Isn't there something about how the US isn't a signatory to STCW or something like that that makes it more difficult for you guys? I think I heard that somewhere.

Sorry meant Two Fingers. All my STCW's are up to date as far as I know, I was under the impression that the USCG was fairly tough. Up until recently the exchange rate worked against mariners working foreign and living stateside but now Canada, Australia and I think even New Zealand are all looking pretty good and I wouldnt mind living in any of them, especially NZ.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I didn't get any pictures sorry, was preoccupied.

I'm meeting with a couple of my lecturers in the next few days so I'll ask them about a US ticket coming down here. Might be easy, might not. I'll see what I can do.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011
This thread is awesome. I was a 3/m for Chevron, just quit. Working for Transocean now.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Chevron still has tankers? I thought all the oil companies had gotten "out" of the transportation business after that one incident in Alaska...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Chevron still has tankers? I thought all the oil companies had gotten "out" of the transportation business after that one incident in Alaska...

Jones Act means companies need US flagged tankers. Polar is ConocoPhillips, SeaRiver I think is Exxon, Chevron has their own. Theres also ATC and OSG.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Edit: Good lord I posted some silly stuff a couple years back.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 13, 2013

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

lightpole posted:

Jones Act means companies need US flagged tankers. Polar is ConocoPhillips, SeaRiver I think is Exxon, Chevron has their own. Theres also ATC and OSG.

Yep, Chevron's fleet is in the 20's but that is international. US fleet consists of four product tankers bought from seabulk.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PowerJew posted:

Yep, Chevron's fleet is in the 20's but that is international. US fleet consists of four product tankers bought from seabulk.

SeaRivers fleet consists of all of ATC's old steamers that have to last till at least '14 when the ships they just ordered will finally be built.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

SeaRivers fleet consists of all of ATC's old steamers that have to last till at least '14 when the ships they just ordered will finally be built.

That sounds like the entire Canadian fleet. No joke, the first boat I worked on was 25 years old, and it was a "New" boat.

That's not even bringing up the lakes, where we have 50 year old things still going around... Keep in mind that the Canadian GL fleet also trades in salt water at times. Yeah. The boat I'm currently "assigned" to would give you tetanos just by looking at it.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

That sounds like the entire Canadian fleet. No joke, the first boat I worked on was 25 years old, and it was a "New" boat.

That's not even bringing up the lakes, where we have 50 year old things still going around... Keep in mind that the Canadian GL fleet also trades in salt water at times. Yeah. The boat I'm currently "assigned" to would give you tetanos just by looking at it.
You on the lakes?

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Just sent off my paperwork to USCG to upgrade to my 2nd Engineers Motor and Steam, hopefully there are no hold-ups.

Thinking about dumping the union and getting into the drill ships for a little bit, those guys are pulling in some serious cash.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

Fish Shalami posted:

Just sent off my paperwork to USCG to upgrade to my 2nd Engineers Motor and Steam, hopefully there are no hold-ups.

Thinking about dumping the union and getting into the drill ships for a little bit, those guys are pulling in some serious cash.

You MEBA? I am. Though i don't work through them. The drillships pull huge money. Problem is many of them are international flag and have Chief's, firsts and some QMEDs. The ship i'm headed to is diesel electric and plant load is controlled by the mate on watch/DPO.

Best of luck with the USCG, those guys are changing everything right now.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

The 3rds are doing like 90k for 6 months or around the same as the union working 12s right?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

PowerJew posted:

You on the lakes?

Mostly, yeah, but I try to do as much coast as I can.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
FrozenVent, do any of the Canadian Lakes bulkers have free-fall lifeboats? We kind of learned about them as these voodoo wizard future man devices we'd see on the Lakes about the time our ships were replaced by flying atomic cars but I swear I've seen some pictures of Canadian lakers with 'em.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

FrozenVent, do any of the Canadian Lakes bulkers have free-fall lifeboats? We kind of learned about them as these voodoo wizard future man devices we'd see on the Lakes about the time our ships were replaced by flying atomic cars but I swear I've seen some pictures of Canadian lakers with 'em.

The newer boats that are being built in China have them, seeing as they're bulk carriers and have to be somewhat SOLAS compliant to be hauled over there. The newish tankers all have them, and so do those tiny new project cargo boats.

Lake boats per se aren't required to have lifeboats anymore, just life rafts and a rescue boat of some sort. The Canadian lakers you see with life boats are either deep sea boats that were repurposed as lakers, old ships from before that law got changed (Where they haven't removed the lifeboat for sentimental reasons, I guess?) or newer boats that were built in China.

I can't remember if thousand footers have life boats, but I think I've seen some American boats with them. The traditionnal kind, I mean, with gravity davits and all that.

Never actually been in a freefall being launched, the Captain of the only boat I've been on that had them chickened out every loving drill. I'm told it's quite fun. They're no longer woo-woo special technology by any sense of the word, anyway... I kinda like them as a concept, personally, but the only time I could see them being useful on the lakes is in the dead of winter... And even there, some people would argue that liferafts would have better insulation.

Personally I'd rather be in the solid shell with an engine.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

The newer boats that are being built in China have them, seeing as they're bulk carriers and have to be somewhat SOLAS compliant to be hauled over there. The newish tankers all have them, and so do those tiny new project cargo boats.

Lake boats per se aren't required to have lifeboats anymore, just life rafts and a rescue boat of some sort. The Canadian lakers you see with life boats are either deep sea boats that were repurposed as lakers, old ships from before that law got changed (Where they haven't removed the lifeboat for sentimental reasons, I guess?) or newer boats that were built in China.

I can't remember if thousand footers have life boats, but I think I've seen some American boats with them. The traditionnal kind, I mean, with gravity davits and all that.

Never actually been in a freefall being launched, the Captain of the only boat I've been on that had them chickened out every loving drill. I'm told it's quite fun. They're no longer woo-woo special technology by any sense of the word, anyway... I kinda like them as a concept, personally, but the only time I could see them being useful on the lakes is in the dead of winter... And even there, some people would argue that liferafts would have better insulation.

Personally I'd rather be in the solid shell with an engine.

I make it a point to never be in a life unless its in the water or locked in the cradle. Why would you ever want to voluntarily launch in one that poo poo is dangerous.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tell me about it, man. Look up a ship and find out about the accident they had last year, and then I have to do lifeboat lowering for my taskbook. Sitting in that thing was loving nerve-wracking.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 7, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Aw, come on. While launching lifeboats is, statistically, the most dangerous thing we do, it's not that bad if you're careful and you know what you're doing... And the ship's not too old.

I went up and down in the lifeboats a hundred times when I was on that cruise ship (I'm not exagerating much, it was pretty close to a hundred time) and we never had a problem - Except a few weeks before I joined, a steward stuck his hand in the block for some reason :wtc:

You just have to be extra careful. Didn't they change the regs that you don't have to launch every months now? It's every three months for cargo ships, don't know what it is for cruises these days.

Now dropping in the FRC, *that* was scary.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Aug 8, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent, look up the accident from last year and you'll see why I was nervous about being in the boats when we launched.

We're still missing number 7, by the way.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Sep 7, 2015

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

How the gently caress do you snap a lifeboat fall? Did it get stuck somewhere? What the heck...

Kind of surprising that they'd allow you to go so long with a missing lifeboat.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:29 on May 13, 2013

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

PowerJew posted:

You MEBA? I am. Though i don't work through them. The drillships pull huge money. Problem is many of them are international flag and have Chief's, firsts and some QMEDs. The ship i'm headed to is diesel electric and plant load is controlled by the mate on watch/DPO.

Best of luck with the USCG, those guys are changing everything right now.

Yea I joined MEBA in 09, group II now. I was sailing foreign flag on when I was working as a permanent on that Exmar/Alaris LNG contract we have but I got laid off after they cut the number of ships we could go on from 7 to 2.

Who do your work for? You just staying in the union as an insurance policy or do you work on a union ship?

lightpole posted:

The 3rds are doing like 90k for 6 months or around the same as the union working 12s right?

One of my classmates on there is clearing 120k a year for 6 months. What do you mean by working 12s? I worked about 5 months this year as a third and pulled about 60k, kind of crummy for this industry, but I also took a very low paying ship just to get my diesel time for upgrading.

Fish Shalami fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Oct 25, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
There go the Horizon D-8s. Ugh, jobs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, I had to dodge one last week. Even after four years, it still feels weird to turn down work... I need to get my rear end in gear and start working for real, my firends are all working 7 months and up while I start bitching at 5. I need to get serious if I ever want to make Chief Mate. (The only reason I want to make chief mate is because the sea time counts double. I could have my Master Mariner by... Oh God, I am a gigantic slacker.)

Gonna hit five this year, with three "Sorry I can't do it", and a three month period of not even answering my phone. And a month of training. And a few week of exams and related poo poo. So overall, I only grabbed it for... Seven weeks or so?

Shipping back out next week sometime... gently caress my life, I don't want to go back. Although this time I might actually have Internet access! IN MY loving ROOM, BITCHES!

Edit: VVV Oh, that sucks ball. Sorry to hear.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 26, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Horizon is (most likely permanently) laying up its 5 D-8 class vessels because they are broke so less jobs to go around.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011
I just got hired on with Transocean one one of there drill ships in west africa. Couldn't be happier. The money is stupid good.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

PowerJew posted:

I just got hired on with Transocean one one of there drill ships in west africa. Couldn't be happier. The money is stupid good.

You know someone with the company or did you just keep applying online?

Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.

PowerJew posted:

One of my friends just got hired on with Transocean....we worked at a different drilling company and the awesome/weird thing is that Transocean and the company I work for pay the same but are the lowest paying drilling contractors out there....and the money is still loving amazing. Nowhere to go but up in the oilfield.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Also interested in hearing about breaking into the oil field jobs, what has been helpful in landing those for people? I'm just a scrub-rear end cadet so I figure better start asking this stuff early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Also interested in hearing about breaking into the oil field jobs, what has been helpful in landing those for people? I'm just a scrub-rear end cadet so I figure better start asking this stuff early.

Last I heard Transocean hired 3rds out of school for the most part although sometimes they have listings on their site. Im betting PowerJew got in as a 2E through their site. I have another friend working for Maersk Drilling, he said internet applications are pretty much where its at, just try to get in and get experience wherever you can. Make sure you go to whatever job fairs your school has and pay attention to when companies come around for interviews. If you have a career center make friends with the people there and see if they can help. Otherwise your teachers might know people as well. If you have an interest in a particular company that doesnt recruit out of your school try to work with someone on campus to set up a contact/interview.

Companies like to hire right out of school for some reason, at least for 3rds, so sometimes it best to get your foot in the door early, set up contacts and maybe even see if they take cadets on as interns.

• Locked thread