Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

Economist has pieces on this every now and then. It was a driving factor for Hanjin and then NOLs sale to CMA CGM. The top three are profitable due to scale but the industry is fragmented and ship building and shipping is subsidized by governments that view it as a strategic/national/ whatever priority.

It's also causing the terminal issues on the west coast when it's combined with vessel sharing agreements. This all is what I wrote about in my grad school capstone. I think most of THEA is now profitable too. But I still see an empty MSC ship everyweek, hasn't even been down to LA yet when I see it. They're playing a very dangerous game if we have a fall off in global trade, what a trade war especially one trying to reverse the globalization of supply chains, might cause.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
I'm hearing that this summer is not looking good but it's still early.

I have two months to fill in between quarters and should probably go find an internship with a tech company. I did bring up heading to Vanuatu to work for a friend and that's extremely possible due to the difficulty in getting engineers down there. I don't think it pays though.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That's an actual place I thought it was just a made up registry

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

The sensible small pacific island registries locate everything in London or DC.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

The sensible small pacific island registries locate everything in London or DC.

Like God intended

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Welp, looks like I'm going aboard ship next week, doing some automation work on a tanker that's under conversion to FSO for oil&gas extraction.

They're talking about some sailing as well, that'll be fun to negotiate compensation for :v:

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Contractual monthly day off, hell yeah.

fibblins
Dec 21, 2007

party swan
How do you have a successful marriage in this line of work? Asking for a friend.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

If you find the answer to that, well...

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
First, find a job ashore.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

fibblins posted:

How do you have a successful marriage in this line of work? Asking for a friend.

Marry a sailor work opposite hitches rake in the dough and never see each other

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

shovelbum posted:

Marry a sailor work opposite hitches rake in the dough and never see each other

Don't get married.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Go immediately to shore side employment and never sail on your license.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Get one of the decent licenses first though. This has a huge impact on your earning potential ashore, more so than university degrees.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Get one of the decent licenses first though. This has a huge impact on your earning potential ashore, more so than university degrees.

Does it really

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah, because you have “management experience” and an advanced qualification.

The people I see go ashore with just an OOW and no degree tend to stagnate career wise, making AB wages suffering the grand plans of some hot shot with a business BA.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Yeah, because you have “management experience” and an advanced qualification.

These are the magic word hoop to jump through.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

These are the magic word hoop to jump through.

Will keep that in mind. I want to pick up a relief first job and try it out but I keep getting like actual good lower jobs and I'm seeing the reason a lot of people stay second assistant forever

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
You have to make it an actual point and hold out for it. There will be APL jobs if you took the flex class with the reflags.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

How China Got Sri Lanka to Cough Up a Port https://nyti.ms/2lwfNHU

This was a good read.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...I7OFvI3&ampcf=1

Last bean boat to beat the tariffs.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Bloomberg posted:

A U.S. Cargo Ship* Is Racing to China to Beat the Clock on Tariffs
*Liberian flag.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah I know that irritated me too.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
The wartsila techs pronounce IFA as eefa instead of the letters, going to do this forever now

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
What are you on and are there any jobs coming up? I need to get on a ship till mid September when I need to get off and go to class. And gently caress the APL reflags.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
Is it a better gig working on cruise ships over cargo ships?
Do you guys know anything about luxury yacht crews? Sounds like being on standby 90% of the time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Do you guys know anything about luxury yacht crews? Sounds like being on standby 90% of the time.

hooooooooooooooo boy

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

What's your nationality?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKfupO4ZzPs

Having seen the fallout from yacht work, you don't want to work a yacht and be beholden to a billionaire ogliarch on his yacht.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

lol it all sucks

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I did a run as a cadet on one of the worlds biggest cruise ship, I barely even hesitated when it came time to chose between a job on a cruise ship and a job on a boat hauling coal on the Great Lakes.

Guess which one paid twice as much and had dental.

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

hooooooooooooooo boy

Opening a can of worms?

BrandorKP posted:

What's your nationality?

Irish.

FrozenVent posted:

I did a run as a cadet on one of the worlds biggest cruise ship, I barely even hesitated when it came time to chose between a job on a cruise ship and a job on a boat hauling coal on the Great Lakes.

Guess which one paid twice as much and had dental.

Ya but did they have a dentist on the cruise ship? :smugjones:

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Onboard medical staff will only see you for no poo poo emergencies. We didn’t have a dentist.

Oh and the retirement plan was something like “if you work for us for twenty years we’ll give you a check for $10k.”

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Onboard medical staff will only see you for no poo poo emergencies. We didn’t have a dentist.

Oh and the retirement plan was something like “if you work for us for twenty years we’ll give you a check for $10k.”

Sounds like the "support" offered for studying for a higher ticket: a loan of 25% of my daily wage while in school. Not enough to pay tuition, nor living expenses, nor even enough to make payments on my extant student loans. They sure liked to talk it up, like they were the most supportive company ever.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Last place I sailed for would just send you a cool check for $4k once you were done with the ticket so that was nice.

Cruise ships would offer you a nice word of congratulation.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Fancy_Breakfast posted:

Opening a can of worms?

Irish.

Ya but did they have a dentist on the cruise ship? :smugjones:

i earnt my name, put it that way

yachts are everything that sucks about real boats, except now you're fighting against an owner who can't understand why his luxury yacht that cost so much money needs constant upkeep

also basically everyone is raging alcoholics, more so than cruise or cargo

when i was on the Slavic Crime, we were down to one generator for close to three months because the high pressure fuel lines ruptured and the owner didn't want to fork out for new ones

i don't think my stress level has ever been so loving high

oh and i'm still owed about 3k and have effectively no recourse because it isn't an amount worth chasing with a lawyer

at least i got the other 13k i was owed!!

in case you think i'm joking, the stewardess was drunk with the owners on board (which is pretty much an instant firing offence), set the fire alarm off by smoking out the galley drunk off her rear end four times, the first time was bad enough but being constantly dragged out of your bunk at 3am by a loud clanging bell isn't the best experience, neither is having to wonder if tonight is gonna be the night she succeeds in setting fire to everything

the captain gave less fucks about his job than anyone i've ever met, it was about a 50/50 if he would actually show up for work any given day of the week, dropping to 80/20 on a friday, but he sure did like emotionally abusing his crew and i seriously thought he was going to hit me a couple of times, that and he refused to sign my discharge book when i left

there are good yachts out there but in all seriousness there are so many loving cowboys i could not in good faith recommend that industry to anyone.

that's to say nothing of the amount of power-tripping captains who just love sexually abusing all the hot young stewardesses who come on all starry eyed

gently caress yachting

i realise i had a particularly bad experience compared to some, but hey you asked for opinions

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jul 15, 2018

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
Isn't there some reality TV show about luxury yacht staff?

Edit: Below Deck. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Below_Deck

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Isn't there some reality TV show about luxury yacht staff?

yes it's almost completely fake

they completely underplay everything

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

yes it's almost completely fake

they completely underplay everything

Well, being reality TV, I didn't expect it to be anywhere close to accurate or real. Especially since it airs on Bravo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

i may actually appear on the next season

they were filming in tahiti when i was there

• Locked thread