Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

lightpole posted:

Companies like to hire right out of school for some reason,

I've always heard it as "That way they have less bad habits to un-learn", but around here they can't afford to be picky anyway.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Aug 8, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
That makes sense, we are really well connected on the Lakes here which means great pilotage-required jobs for the deck grads, but a lot of us on the engine side have been talking about finding out more about other jobs too (other than MSC).

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
US shipping companies:

Polar Tankers
SeaRiver Tankers
Chevron (MEBA but I believe they have right to hire)
Army Corps of Engineers
MSC (Government)

Unions:
MEBA
AMO

Rigs:
Transocean
Maersk Drilling

Field Service:
Solar Turbines
GE
Siemens
Local 39 International Union of Operating Engineers (California/Nevada)
Power Industries Consultants
NAES
Warstila
MAN

Ive heard of some tug&barge companies needing engineers that pay well. Thats a short list but I havent looked for a job in awhile.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Just finished packing my winter gear suitcase. 35 lbs.

-Full size floating winter coverall (Think Mustang, the Korean rip-off)
-"-100C" winter work boots
-Over-the-brim hard hat "liner"
-Ski mask, polypropylene
-Ski mask, polar fleece
-Gloves, fur lined
-Mittens, fur lined
-Gloves, light
-Glove liner, wool (Three pairs)
-Long underwear, poly propylene, two sets
-Long underwear, heavy, two sets
-Socks, heavy wool / synthetic space stuff, six pairs
-Socks liner, six pairs

The winter jacket goes on my back, sweatshirts and regular stuff go in the regular clothes suitcase. Anybody knows of a place where I can get ski goggles that'll fit over my glasses?

Yes, I get cold real fast.

Also, this exists: http://toronto.flyerland.ca/products/marks-work-wearhouse-dakota-thermalectric-rechargeable-heated-workboots-product-6143015

Yes, you read that right. Heated work boots. 350$ a pair; I saw them in a store earlier. Thought about it, but a) what if the batteries run out? The insulation doesn't look that great and b) seriously, plug your boots in after your watch? :wtc: It's a neat idea, but I'll wait for somebody else to give them a try.

Also, I don't think they're intrisequely safe. Not that it makes any difference on a bulk carrier, but...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
REI has some FV you could check there.

FrozenVent posted:

I've always heard it as "That way they have less bad habits to un-learn", but aroundd here they can't afford to be picky anyway... They'll take anyone.

Worked five years as an engineer on a fishing boat? Alright buddy! Here's a two-stroke slow diesel, have at it!

...no, that's not the engine, that's the cooling pump. (True story. :eng99:)

Ive never understood this, if someone is teachable, has a good attitude and work ethic there shouldnt be much difference in between a new grad or someone who has been out for awhile but it appears to be the standard.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

The winter jacket goes on my back, sweatshirts and regular stuff go in the regular clothes suitcase. Anybody knows of a place where I can get ski goggles that'll fit over my glasses?

A lot of the ESS tactical goggles are cheap and great over glasses, but those aren't cold weather oriented. Rugged though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The operative word is "Cheap" because this trade involves me spending a lot of time right next to a cargo chute telling the loader to move the drat chute this way or that to keep the boat straight... Or standing under the unloading boom (No remote control, natch!) trying to fit 26 000 metric tons of rock in a 100 ft x 100 ft square without going above the light poles, please. (Spoiler: It won't fit.)

Sticky cargo that sticks to your glasses, too. I'll check the local sporting good store... Or just use the OTG safety goggles they just issued us, even if they're uncomfortable as gently caress.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Aug 8, 2014

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

This is the worst thing about cruise ships - I just failed a cabin inspection for my desk being messy. Sorry that I keep everything I use daily on my desk, I guess.
Apparently the hotel manager was actually offended at my room.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two Finger posted:

This is the worst thing about cruise ships - I just failed a cabin inspection for my desk being messy. Sorry that I keep everything I use daily on my desk, I guess.
Apparently the hotel manager was actually offended at my room.

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA - I failed one for "Bed not made!!!!", with the exclamations and all. It ended with the Chief Officer laughing in an housekeeping super's face.

Take the slip to your supervisor (I'm guessing Chief Engineer or first engineer?) and have him tear it up. You're Marine Division, you don't have time for this cleanliness bullshit!

The last room inspection I had was a drug and alcohol search by the Captain (Long story). I had magazines laying all over the place, the floor was covered with dirty laundry and everything stank. I think I had like five dirty plates just sitting there. No fucks were given that day.

Cargo boats forever. :c00lbert:

(Yes, I am a disgusting pig. Why do you ask?)

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

drug and alcohol search by the Captain (Long story)

Sounds interesting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

AHAHAHAHAHHAHAAHA - I failed one for "Bed not made!!!!", with the exclamations and all. It ended with the Chief Officer laughing in an housekeeping super's face.

Take the slip to your supervisor (I'm guessing Chief Engineer or first engineer?) and have him tear it up. You're Marine Division, you don't have time for this cleanliness bullshit!

The last room inspection I had was a drug and alcohol search by the Captain (Long story). I had magazines laying all over the place, the floor was covered with dirty laundry and everything stank. I think I had like five dirty plates just sitting there. No fucks were given that day.

Cargo boats forever. :c00lbert:

(Yes, I am a disgusting pig. Why do you ask?)

haha the senior second just laughed at me and said i'd have to look after my room better from now on since the hotel manager cancelled our room steward
except our room steward is the fuckin man and just cleaned our room anyway

but i totally loving agree the hotman can get hosed, it's a loving room not a cell, if i have poo poo on my desk it's because i need it

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Oct 30, 2011

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Per posted:

Sounds interesting.

It's really not - A guy got caught with alcohol onboard; when it was reported to the office they came back and told the Captain to search everyone.

Well, the whole story is probably a bit more interesting, but I'd rather not tell it in an open forum since it involves disciplinary actions and poo poo.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

It's really not - A guy got caught with alcohol onboard; when it was reported to the office they came back and told the Captain to search everyone.

Well, the whole story is probably a bit more interesting, but I'd rather not tell it in an open forum since it involves disciplinary actions and poo poo.

Good times all around.

Haha room inspections!

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Interesting thread- there's always been an allure of ships and the sea for me.

General working question:

On a ship (medium and large ships), how are work hours organized? I'm assuming that people would work wierd staggered shifts (like five days on, one day off) sort of thing like that.

On a major ship, is there any way to accommodate people who have possible religious restrictions to working certain days (Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, mutually exclusive, of course) or is that simply not feasible on a ship where a finite number of people need to get work done on an ongoing basis?

Electrical question:

What sort of electrical system is used on larger ships? Are the generators themselves high voltage (like 4160V) and then the voltage gets stepped down a little unit substations throughout the ship? Are there ships that simply have a bigass generator and use something like a synchronous motor (via a large variable speed drive, like an ABB Megadrive) to turn the propellers?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 30, 2011

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Three-Phase posted:

On a ship (medium and large ships), how are work hours organized? I'm assuming that people would work wierd staggered shifts (like five days on, one day off) sort of thing like that.

It depends; some companies you're six hours on, six hours off and you get say 28 days off after 28 days of work.

Other, more traditional places are 4 on, 8 off, 4 on for say three or six months, with unpaid time off. You also get overtime; I'd say the average work day is about 11 hours or so. Legally we're capped at 16 hours, sorta. I think it comes down to 14 in a few years, or is that just Canada?

Some guys, like certain deck hands, cooks, electricians and so on, work days. Essentially, 8 - 5, with lunch breaks and all. Captains and Chief Engineers are on cal all the time.

Cruise ships have weird schedules.

Three-Phase posted:

On a major ship, is there any way to accommodate people who have possible religious restrictions to working certain days (Friday, Saturday, or Sunday, mutually exclusive, of course) or is that simply not feasible on a ship where a finite number of people need to get work done on an ongoing basis?

I've never seen it done; basically if you take a day off somebody else has to work to cover you. Ships do not stop for silly things like holidays.

I'll leave the sparky question to the engineers.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Three-Phase posted:

Interesting thread- there's always been an allure of ships and the sea for me.

General working question:

Electrical question:

What sort of electrical system is used on larger ships? Are the generators themselves high voltage (like 4160V) and then the voltage gets stepped down a little unit substations throughout the ship? Are there ships that simply have a bigass generator and use something like a synchronous motor (via a large variable speed drive, like an ABB Megadrive) to turn the propellers?

Depends on the ship. Most work 8-5 with overtime after. You theoretically dont have to work overtime/weekend overtime but OT can make up 1/3 of your pay and you are stuck on the ship anyways so usually you work every chance you get. In a weekend I can make the same amount of money I made working the 5 weekdays if I didnt work OT.

Theres no need for high voltage for the most part however some ships are starting to use electrical drives like you are talking about. Most ships carry a bow thruster which means they can call one less tug and save a bunch of money. When it comes to generators there are always multiple since they always need maintenance and you always want a backup. If you lose your electricity then the plant goes down and you are in the dark.

Usually you are generating 440v and the size of the generator depends on the ship. A cargo ship carrying refrigeration containers might need quite a lot of power so they might have 3 MAK's generating 1.5-2MW or so each. You can also have a shaft generator hooked to a synchronous condenser that can carry most of your load and allow you to run without the DG's.

Verger
Oct 23, 2010
On the religious restrictions bit, during my work i have visited ship that was being built for the Middle East, and that ship had separate facilities to accommodate both Muslims and non-Muslims. (at least, that was how it was explained on the shipyard)
I guess its a matter of what-the-owner-orders-he-gets.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Verger posted:

On the religious restrictions bit, during my work i have visited ship that was being built for the Middle East, and that ship had separate facilities to accommodate both Muslims and non-Muslims. (at least, that was how it was explained on the shipyard)
I guess its a matter of what-the-owner-orders-he-gets.

That's weird as gently caress, never heard of that. How does that work? Like a separate galley and poo poo? Or do they somehow need different rooms or something?

Most I've seen is a guy that keeps Halal up to an extend, the cook just makes sure there's a meal choice he can eat. He'd stash his food during Ramadan and eat after sundown, too, but he still stood his watches and poo poo.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

best thing about cruise ships - crew parties

one of the worst things - the hangovers

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

lightpole posted:

Usually you are generating 440v and the size of the generator depends on the ship. A cargo ship carrying refrigeration containers might need quite a lot of power so they might have 3 MAK's generating 1.5-2MW or so each. You can also have a shaft generator hooked to a synchronous condenser that can carry most of your load and allow you to run without the DG's.

Wow, they use a synchronous condenser rather than a capacitor bank for VAR compensation?! I guess it makes sense now that I think of it because:

1. If you have a lot of refrigeration, you're going to have a ton of induction motors operating at around 0.8 pf (lagging)
2. You can dynamically react to changing VAR loads and maintain a unity power factor, where as even with a few stages of capacitor banks you'll end up lagging, or leading, especially since you aren't hooked up to an "infinite bus"
3. You avoid nasty transients from switching in/out capacitor banks

If I did the math correctly, 3MW at 480VAC (unity power factor) is about 3500A. Would it be safe to assume that over 1MW you're probably going to be generating at 4160V or 2400V rather than 480V?

EDIT: It looks like Cummins makes 690V generators as high as 6000kVA, which sounds absolutely insane for anything less than 4160V. It's a combination of how expensive copper is, and how much money you need to pay for to get a low-voltage, very high current circuit breaker. (I've seen a few places where the solution is to place (matched pair from the factory or unit specifically made for this) two breakers in parallel with a ganged trip mechanism, but that gives me the heebie-jeebies.)

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 22:34 on Oct 31, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
We generate at 440. There is no transmission, it goes from the gen to the buss. The biggest shipboard generator Ive seen is around 2 MW although they do get bigger. Almost all motors run on 440. All your primary equipment from pumps to purifiers to reefer compressors are going to be 440 coming from one of generally 2 main buss' and an emergency. Remember, those pumps are necessary to start up the plant and in a worst case scenario you will rely on your emergency DG to start up. The EDG is usually a small medium speed CAT with very limited generation. Lights and room sockets are stepped down to 220 or 110 depending on the ship. On the car carrier I was on gens ran at 440 carrying around 700 amps. The DGs themselves were fairly small, like 1MW max. When the bowthruster was running the amperage came up to around 2-3kVA. Since it was a car carrier it did not need a large amount of power, mainly just car hold lighting with the biggest loads being the bowthruster and the car hold fans which were used in port to clear vapors. 200-300 reefer containers can create a large amount of load, especially in the Gulf and Asia.

The shaft generator is in a different class. Generally the main engine is a slow speed engine without a reduction gear, just a direct shaft from the crankcase to the propeller. This means it is generating at speeds of around 85-100ish RPMs depending on design. You also have to remember that while the governor is trying to maintain the set speed, wave action, prop moving up and down, wind and other variables all have an affect.

Almost all your load will be 3p induction motors. Critical navigation and engineering equipment is run off the battery banks which are trickle charged from the emergency buss.

Edit: Most engineers on ships arent very good at electricity for several reasons and its been years since Ive really had to remember my theory so Im trying not to look too dumb. Just sent in my application for High Voltage Electrical Propulsion so ATC can try and get me on board. Ive never worked in a plant like you were talking about and am looking forward to it.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 31, 2011

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
on the ship I'm on we do 12 hours on and 12 hours off (the mates do 4 hour watch then 4 hour inspection/paperwork then 4 hour watch) our rotation is 5 weeks on then 5 weeks off. We also get payed during our off rotation (slightly less due to some legal/hazard mumbo jumbo)

edit: tomorrow I leave to join a subsea vessle for a week while its in dry dock, babies first five year IMO dock survey :smugdog:

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 31, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ugh pension is going to be frozen and changed to defined contribution. The only pensions left are going to be public and the clock is ticking on those.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

This is why I max out my RSRP's and TFSA. The engineers got hosed big time on their pension a couple years back, it was amazing. Their entire union essentially went under; the Guild and the SIU went into an awesome pissing match trying to sign them up. (They went guild.)

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
AMO has been up poo poo creek for awhile but MEBA has been fully funded for the last 20+ years. Most pensions are starting to hit the red and with companies needing to contribute they said gently caress you and your contract, youre switching to defined contribution or we will gently caress you next time we negotiate.

I am really bitter, I loathe 401(k)s and while I have no trouble saving, I have no idea what to do with the money since theres no place to put it.

Two Fingers give me some NZ contacts!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Edit: Nothing to see here.

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 13, 2013

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

Nevermind that they can't hire people to cover vacation, where the gently caress are they gonna find scabs? :negative:

Use strike to justify destroying cabotage laws, hire 3rd worlders?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

shovelbum posted:

Use strike to justify destroying cabotage laws, hire 3rd worlders?

Yeah, that's the thing that scares me, really. Rumour has it they had a bunch of foreign tankers just chillin' near Escoumins when the mates of the two tankers companies around here gave their 72 hours notice. (Canada allows coasting by foreign ships if you can prove there are no canadian ships available)

FrozenVent fucked around with this message at 05:34 on May 13, 2013

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

I don't have any illusions, their won't be any more first worlders in ANY business in fifteen years.

Fixed that for you! Daily dose of optimism!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

AMO has been up poo poo creek for awhile but MEBA has been fully funded for the last 20+ years. Most pensions are starting to hit the red and with companies needing to contribute they said gently caress you and your contract, youre switching to defined contribution or we will gently caress you next time we negotiate.

I am really bitter, I loathe 401(k)s and while I have no trouble saving, I have no idea what to do with the money since theres no place to put it.

Two Fingers give me some NZ contacts!

Not really the best person to ask, I work for HAL and all my friends work for australian companies... I think OMS are hiring though and the money is excellent with them.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Night job in Oakland, I hope I can hit the hall before the fun starts!

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

lightpole posted:

Night job in Oakland, I hope I can hit the hall before the fun starts!

There's fun in the halls?

I'm flying out tomorrow to wait for a boat. Literally, "Fly out, and uh, when we get there... We get there... And then you can join... Think of it as taking a vacation in *The middle of nowhere*!"

Not quite sure yet if I want them to show up tomorrow, or take their time...

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?
Apparently there is going to be a strike in the port of Oakland tomorrow? Anyone know any details on this?

Also, anyone know of any marine engineering companies in SF area that would be willing to do an internship for ~2 weeks?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

Apparently there is going to be a strike in the port of Oakland tomorrow? Anyone know any details on this?

Also, anyone know of any marine engineering companies in SF area that would be willing to do an internship for ~2 weeks?

The Occupy Oakland protest is calling for a general strike today. I have heard one goal is to shut down the port but I really don't have much other than hearsay. I know Matson changed their schedule to accommodate and the hall is closing early. I don't know what's going to happen and am eager to learn more from a safe distance.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

Also, 2 weeks what the hell...

Talk to the ferries or tug companies maybe? You wont be able to get a deep sea gig with that timeline unless you get in good with a chief on a pineapple run or something.

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

lightpole posted:

Also, 2 weeks what the hell...

Talk to the ferries or tug companies maybe? You wont be able to get a deep sea gig with that timeline unless you get in good with a chief on a pineapple run or something.

I want to do something shore based, I already work at sea. I don't really care if it's paid, just something to do and throw on a resume or get some contacts.

Fish Shalami fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 2, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Port of Oakland is moving slow. The Pacifics sailing time has been pushed back from 1700 today to 1100 tomorrow which kind of sucks since the 16-00 relief will stand the whole night and I dont get anything. The crew on there is stuck which really sucks for them. Tomorrow will be interesting and Im really glad I didnt pick up anything. They are letting people through it sounds like but not cars.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

lightpole posted:

Port of Oakland is moving slow. The Pacifics sailing time has been pushed back from 1700 today to 1100 tomorrow which kind of sucks since the 16-00 relief will stand the whole night and I dont get anything. The crew on there is stuck which really sucks for them. Tomorrow will be interesting and Im really glad I didnt pick up anything. They are letting people through it sounds like but not cars.

you being slowed up by your fellow 99% huh?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I just had night work but I have a friend out there who's not going anywhere. It sounds like ILWU had a sickout/slowdown to support the protests. Doesn't really affect any of us, I know a bunch of people headed down to show support after job call. I was up all night so I went to bed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Yep generally everything is 440V. Shaft generators are generally rectified then inverted to keep them consistent. All 'domestic' power is off the same generator however its just one of the phases.

Some big self unloaders run a 11kV system as well.

• Locked thread