Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Being an American at least there are good wages but the best you can hope for is really an ok day job with normal people, but every day for months with then (and this is why I do this) an equal time off. Like it's not really romantic, it's basically grade school for adults, just grinding it out until summer vacation

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Re: billionaire yachts, read The New New Thing

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

With yacht people just remember they think they own you. Anything at all to do with them, even if you aren't even working for them, they think they own you.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

BrandorKP posted:

With yacht people just remember they think they own you. Anything at all to do with them, even if you aren't even working for them, they think they own you.

Yeah I like being owned by a faceless shipping company thru layers of management much better, unironically. Yachts never appealed.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Keep it between the buoys
I'm a member of a major US officer's union and have worked pretty much exclusively on government ships so this is all pretty :eyepop: to me

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Spent about 30 minutes in the hall last week and all my reasons for going to school came right at me. Drunken wreck of an ex chief engineer that alienated his family and is just trying to hang on till retirement if his liver holds out that long? Sure. List of shipboard accidents or fuckups from pure incompetence? Yes! Just go down the list and check that poo poo off! So glad I'm in grad school and not an engine room.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

Spent about 30 minutes in the hall last week and all my reasons for going to school came right at me. Drunken wreck of an ex chief engineer that alienated his family and is just trying to hang on till retirement if his liver holds out that long? Sure. List of shipboard accidents or fuckups from pure incompetence? Yes! Just go down the list and check that poo poo off! So glad I'm in grad school and not an engine room.

I almost got smashed by a fuel pump that we were lifting wrong because we were stupid and also a decrepit Chinese chain fall decided to die lol

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Rotary shipping especially means everyone (even you, reader) is basically guaranteed to be incompetent most of the time via unfamiliarity, exhaustion, or both

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
At some point after the tenth captain insisted nobody but himself knew what they were doing I realized nobody knew what they were doing.

Then I went in the office and realized this is pretty true of the entirety of human civilization.

Everybody is winging it

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

FrozenVent posted:

At some point after the tenth captain insisted nobody but himself knew what they were doing I realized nobody knew what they were doing.

Then I went in the office and realized this is pretty true of the entirety of human civilization.

Everybody is winging it

That doesn't really absolve anyone though, there are places and times even in this industry where people are by and large winging it much less than others, you know? It's just expensive to get the personnel and materiel you need in one place for long enough to make anything but bare viability possible

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Polikarpov posted:

I'm a member of a major US officer's union and have worked pretty much exclusively on government ships so this is all pretty :eyepop: to me

gently caress yeah! Gov ships are the way to go. If no other reason than the three most beautiful words in the English language: defined benefit pension

There are also a host of other reasons why they are a far better work environment than commercial/private vessels.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

B33rChiller posted:

gently caress yeah! Gov ships are the way to go. If no other reason than the three most beautiful words in the English language: defined benefit pension

There are also a host of other reasons why they are a far better work environment than commercial/private vessels.

Minimal pay and vacation?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
Was considering taking an open board 1st's job on the Green Bay last week. In between the low pay, no pension contribution, lack of knowledge of the schedule and crew and my memories from my first job with Central Gulf when we ran out of food cause they didn't want to spend the money for dock space, I said no and started to seriously consider a PhD.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Sounds about right. Probably pays less than being a trash can third somewhere more lucrative.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Being able to yell at blowboaters on 16 that they're violating a 300 yard Naval Vessel Protective Zone and watch them tack in panic and miss stays never gets old.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Going from being at sea for 8 months/year and filling in as 2nd eng on a cruise ship to working as an entry level 4th class for 4.5month of my first year with the :canada: government netted me an increase of CDN$10k salary. Now, full time indeterminate contract, I'm at work for 5 months per year (in 2 week stints), and around $70k base salary. There's overtime to be made too. I bank it and take even more paid time off, due to not trusting the lovely fire chicken to pay out (phoenix pay system is the biggest drawback to my job now). It really is a super sweet gig. The pay is comfortable, not "good money", but it's a far sight better than what Poor & Old cruises used to pay.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

Wow, 2 week hitches? We do 120 days on 120 days off on the MSC contracts. I'd agree with the pay being comfortable, especially considering the amount of work we do. I've been on special mission ships for awhile and not having to work cargo is excellent.

There's also the benefit of not worrying about losing your job because the market did an oopsie or a Saudi prince sneezed.

Polikarpov fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Jul 16, 2018

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Two weeks and two weeks was too fast for me, I liked the six weeks and six weeks better, but I never managed to make indeterminate so...

They did tell me I was topped out on days as a mate for the year and would love to have me back as an AB until the next fiscal year. I basically moonwalked off that boat.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

Two weeks and two weeks was too fast for me, I liked the six weeks and six weeks better, but I never managed to make indeterminate so...

They did tell me I was topped out on days as a mate for the year and would love to have me back as an AB until the next fiscal year. I basically moonwalked off that boat.

You're costing us too much money, we'd sure like it if you would come back and work more for less. How about it pal?

I agree 2 and 2 is a bit quick at times. I find myself driving home for my days of rest thinking "gently caress, I've got to go back to work in 2 weeks." Other times, I'm run so ragged after 14 days, I really need some time to decompress.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Generally speaking I’m glad I have a decent office job now. Work way less for the same amount of money, and I’m home every night.

Once in a while the weather’s just right and I smell the sun on painted steel or warm diesel or whatever they use to clean floors on a cruise ship and I have that moment. You know the one.

So I crack open another beer, and call the girlfriend over.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Oh hey this thread. As I posted earlier a few months back im starting maritime college in Norway. Signed up for math tutoring before start since I've done nothing but patch stab wounds and hand out antibiotics in refugee camps for years now.
I'm sure in three years there won't be any cadet placements and I'll end up under a bridge somewhere.

Someone got some good online esources for the maths and physics poo poo?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Find the pony locker :eng101:

Find a good classmate to work with.

Once you get into actual classes, I'd imagine some of us can help.

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

You can download a free PDF of Bowditch from the NGA website but I don't know if that will actually help. msi.nga.mil, under publications

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If you’re not learning the American way of doing things, I’d advise against Bowditch. It’ll just confuse you.

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Nuclear War posted:

Oh hey this thread. As I posted earlier a few months back im starting maritime college in Norway. Signed up for math tutoring before start since I've done nothing but patch stab wounds and hand out antibiotics in refugee camps for years now.
I'm sure in three years there won't be any cadet placements and I'll end up under a bridge somewhere.

Someone got some good online esources for the maths and physics poo poo?

Maybe try Kahn Academy?

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Polikarpov posted:

Wow, 2 week hitches? We do 120 days on 120 days off on the MSC contracts. I'd agree with the pay being comfortable, especially considering the amount of work we do. I've been on special mission ships for awhile and not having to work cargo is excellent.

There's also the benefit of not worrying about losing your job because the market did an oopsie or a Saudi prince sneezed.

Special mission ships = secret squirrel mud boats?

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Special mission ships = secret squirrel mud boats?

http://www.msc.navy.mil/PM2/

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Nice! I was on the Dominator's civilian sister for a few months. Related to the Black Powder etc too.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Contractual monthly day off that can't be cashed in for anything else you are my spirit animal

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
Contractual monthly day off that can't be cashed in for anything else you are my spirit animal

Polikarpov
Jun 1, 2013

shovelbum posted:

Nice! I was on the Dominator's civilian sister for a few months. Related to the Black Powder etc too.

I should've clarified that I work on the unlimited tonnage ships in that program, the T-AGS mainly.

Moatman
Mar 21, 2014

Because the goof is all mine.

Didn't make it https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/details/ships/shipid:410512/mmsi:636018233/imo:9634830/vessel:PEAK_PEGASUS

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah I feel bad for them. Probably out of refrigerated stores at this point.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Somebody elsewhere pointed out that the owner is still ahead because soybean prices are up significantly more than the cost to rent the ship since they’ve been idling (ignoring the new tariffs).

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

Yeah I don’t know what that thing was fixed for but daily rates for a Panamax are roughly 16.5k a day right now, and they’ve been trending upward for a while.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

PCjr sidecar posted:

Somebody elsewhere pointed out that the owner is still ahead because soybean prices are up significantly more than the cost to rent the ship since they’ve been idling (ignoring the new tariffs).

Eventually that grain will get ruined by condensation on the bulkheads though.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

If it was properly loaded that’s gonna take a hell of a long time. Grain absorbs a gently caress ton of humidity and if the holds are cubes out there’s not a whole lot of air in there to carry humidity.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most chinese grain discharge ports are draft restricted at 13.00. A panamax will have one or two slacks. Might have some ballast in also depending on vcg of fuel oil tanks and hold moments.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/08/11/farmers-china-soy-bean-market-share-734773

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Good thing Europe has had a really bad year for anything that grows :v:

• Locked thread