Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

This thread has been a great read so far; thanks!

Out of curiosity, engineery-type guys:

What does the work of an engineer look like?
How do you spend your working time?
Do you have any technical education or experience beyond your respective academies, etc.?
What goes into the curriculum at those academies?

edit: I realized there might not be any specific engineer guys here, so if anyone else has information on this I'd love to hear it. Also more funny crewmember stories, and interesting ports/places you've been.

walrusman fucked around with this message at 17:59 on Mar 30, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

walrusman
Aug 4, 2006

Thanks for the replies, guys. To clarify where I'm coming from, I'm not looking for a fun diversion or gap year (god I hate that term) bullshit. I'm just sitting on an engineering degree that I can't seem to put to work, and I'm at a phase in my life with few connections and a thirst for -- yeah I'll go ahead and say it -- adventure. I have experience working in close quarters, I get along with everybody, and I find I really like a mix of manual labor and brainy poo poo. What's not to love about a high-demand field that pays you poo poo-heaps of money and then gives you several months off with which to enjoy it?

In reality my pursuit of this field will likely end at reading this thread, but in the meantime I appreciate you putting it up.

• Locked thread