Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Doing my duty for king and coutry since 86
I'm currently an engineer cadet on board this ship redacted we run a odd crew scheme by having twice as many junior officers as we need to. Due to the company that has hired/chartered the boat having run a safety analysis. We got captain, chief mate, two first and two second mates. Chief engineer, 1st engineer, two second engnieers, cadet (me) and a oiler apprentice.

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Jan 21, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

^^^^ What the gently caress, that's a lot of people. Don't seismic boats just make long lines in the water? Why the need for the extra manpower?

Safety analysis saying its less likely to get black out. If you get a black out while shooting on the (oil)field it will cost you more than the extra vages of the enlarged crew. We only have two AB's and we have a manned engine room during the night instead of E0.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

camino posted:

Which school are you at? Why did you pick that one over the others?

Went to University College of Vestfold (norway) the only school in the coutry that offers marine enginner education at bachelor level. In norway there is two ways of becoming a merchant marine officer. Either through going to college (bachelor and STCW papers) or by going to vocational high school studying maritime subjects then apprentice as either AB or Oiler for two years then go to trade school and recive your STCW papers. Unfortuanly there are no more dedicated maritme colleges in this country anymore. So we have to work out our cadet placements on our own.

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 1, 2011

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

^^^^ How do they figure two extra deck officer will help with black outs? Is the ship DP? Office people... :psyduck:

sorry I screwed up we only have one first mate (as I understad first mate and chief mate is the same rank in the US?)

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
put your hand in the air if you have the smallest/thigthest control room

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Click here for the full 2048x1536 image.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

an adult beverage posted:

Have any crazy crew stories? Any cool stuff that you've seen besides what you've already posted? How are the family lives of crew members? It seems hard to maintain a family with a lifestyle like that.

We had an AB get caught drinking on board the boat. we sort of knew he had a drinking problem when he was onshore (home). Now he he is in rehab with full pay so good for him.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

Per posted:

We got a few Norwegians running around down here in Svendborg, Denmark. Did you ever consider going that route?

SIMAC? Did not know about it untill the 2nd year of college, and only Denmark (Maersk) and France acknowledge dual certificates anyway. For engineers its no problem to get cadet placement (I was the last one in my class to get one about a month before graduation). For some of the deck officers it can be hard to get a cadet placement one of my roomates applied at 38 shipping compaines before he got one.

edit: det er deilig å være norsk i danmark ;)

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Mar 3, 2011

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
how does the whole working through the union hall work? we dont have it here we are either hired by the company and work a set shift onboard or hired through a crewing company temporary.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
engineer cadet my day goes like this

get up at 05:30 shower and breakfast

go to engine controll room at 06:00 start the daily inspection round refilling oil and cooling water (takes 60 to 90 minutes) then just general work from maintnance system or a large project (like replacing piston rings on a compressor etc)

break from 10:00 to 10:30

more work or continue on project

lunch from 12:00 to 13:00

more work or continue on project

break from 15:00 to 15:30

last 2,5 hours of the day spent cleaning up/washing in the engine room or sorting tools in the workshop

dinner and end of day at 18:00

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
I'm going to apply for a US job visa to work in the gulf. Is DHS going to rape me with a broomstick?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
on the ship I'm on we do 12 hours on and 12 hours off (the mates do 4 hour watch then 4 hour inspection/paperwork then 4 hour watch) our rotation is 5 weeks on then 5 weeks off. We also get payed during our off rotation (slightly less due to some legal/hazard mumbo jumbo)

edit: tomorrow I leave to join a subsea vessle for a week while its in dry dock, babies first five year IMO dock survey :smugdog:

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Oct 31, 2011

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
for ships electricians in norway they are just regular electricians who take an exam module covering maritime instalations and then "apprentice" for 6 months onboard a ship.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
how does military sealift command works? are the ships owned by the US navy then crewed by civilians or are they chartered from shipping companies.

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

localized posted:

I have no idea where Cal Maritime is going this year. I heard that they were hurting for cash so they weren't doing a Pacific crossing. Our training ship is the TS State of Maine, which is a sistership to the Golden Bear, just repowered with a lovely six cylinder ferry engine. Our cruise is heading south this year, visiting Galveston, Texas, Caracao, Bermuda, and Charleston, South Carolina.

spent two weeks in dry dock in Curacao before christmas be sure to visint Campo Alegre :pervert:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Le_Mirage

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

StopShootingMe posted:

I'm flying out to Norway next week to pick up a ship, sailing back to Sydney via the Cape, no Suez because pirates. 13,500NM voyage, apparently.

some sort of offshore supply vessel?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
For how long time does one stay onboard ships on the great lakes 4/8 week rotation or for the entire season?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

StopShootingMe posted:

Yeah, big DP ROV vessel, multiple moonpools, heavy crane, helipad, all that. I've been on one like it from the same yard, beautiful build quality. Polished wooden floors and glass throughout, paperless bridge etc...

Is it an X-Bow?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
spent 10 hours unclogging toilets yesterday not putting anything but toiletpaper in a toilet must be rocket sience for someone :argh:

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
yes hamworthy vacum system we belive the culprit is a tampon deposited by one of the (female we hope) seismic geologist onboard

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

StopShootingMe posted:

Crossing the Bay of Biscay on the way from Alesund, Norway to Cape Town. We'll be taking a look at the Madeira Archipelago and the Canaries on the way through. Beats working in a cubicle.

Can you go from Ålesund to Cape Town with out refueling?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

StopShootingMe posted:

Yep, and we'll take bunkers there to do a run from Cape Town to Sydney, another six and a half thousand miles or so. Just passing through the Madeira islands as I write this. The main island is in the distance and we won't pass it during daylight, but drat it looks big. Just a big mountain rising out of the sea.

What's your ship called, I'll look out for it on the AIS. And are you a mate? What watch are you on? I'll be on the 12-4. I have a fridge in my cabin. This Norwegian built ship is bullshit. There's an integrated entertainment system (so movies and TV on demand in all cabins), many lounges around the ship, accommodation for 100 but only 19 of us aboard.

do you mind taking some pictures of your cabin and the accomondation?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

Two Finger posted:

Home stretch. I will likely be qualified in six months.

congrats! I sent in my application 6 weeks ago

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

aqae posted:

I'm an integrated rating in the Australian industry. Currently floating around off the coast of Indonesia doing seismic surveying. Nearly 4 weeks into the 5 week swing (posting to you from the engine control room!)

sup seismic buddy currently on a norwegian flagged vessle (changing to FOC in August/September and replacing all the junior officers and AB's) on your ship is it the engineers or the seismic crew who has the responsibility for the seismic compressors?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
is it now that I reveal that in the north-sea (norwegian sector) it's 2 weeks on and 4 weeks off for rigs

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

Per posted:

Any goons working out of Aberdeen at the moment? The weather is crazy nice today, so I'm not regretting not requesting a transfer to more southern climes. Bet I'll change my tune when the autumn storms come though.

I might go on a spot marked PSV in Aberdeen just waiting for confirmation from the office

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
welp looks like I'm going on PSV in the north sea in november cant wait to get sea sick

Viking Lady http://vikinglady.no/

then in december I'm going to a new built subsea vessel Seven Viking launching in january

http://www.subsea7.com/files/docs/Datasheets/Vessels/Seven_Viking.pdf

has anyone done the whole commissioning/test trial thing?

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 14:27 on Oct 5, 2012

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

flashman posted:

Nice couple of gigs you landed. Weird that OSV has the superstructure at the stern all here on the Grand Banks are superstructure up forward. Whats the tonnage on that OSV? November in the North Sea shouldn't be too bad; most of the vessels head to aberdeen or surrounding anchorages during any sort of blow so it's not like you'll be jogging around in 15 meters (unless you get unlucky and on standby).

Turns out I was not heading for the North Sea but the Barents Sea now its a snow storm and 16 meter waves. we are still at the base waiting for the weather to clear. The ship is 6100t (gross) putting the superstructure at the stern is supposed to give it a smoother ride and more comfort for the crew.

http://www.ship-technology.com/projects/viking2/

sister ship of the one I'm on with diesel electric propulsion instead of dual fuel diesel/LNG electric propulsion

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
my_brain_is_full_of_fuck.jpg :psyduck:

how large a crew does one of these river barge tugs have?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
not to derail the entire LNG_chat.txt but I'm currently on a norwegian flagged LNG powered ship. The main reason for having LNG on this ship is that there is a tax break for lowering NOX emissions. It got dual fuel engines so we have to carefully take note of when we are running on LNG and we are running on diesel only. The engines consume very little lube oil when running on LNG(have only refilled on engine with 50 liters in 4 weeks I've been here) and the machinery spaces are much cleaner than on a regular diesel ship?

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Nov 11, 2012

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
I can take some pictures with the EX camera no flash on that camera so the pictures might look weird

edit:

I accidentally invented instagram

Trench_Rat fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 11, 2012

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
rough weather in the Barents Sea today we moved 16 nautical miles in 15 hours and got nine meter waves :gonk: also did I mention the 40 knot winds and the snow storm :killme:

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

Grey Skies posted:

Jesus Christ. I feel that this would be a perfect time to post the "FUUUUUUCK SHIIIIT DAAAAAMMN" gif with the lasers, but alas I do not have it.

it wasn't really that bad the design of the ship sacrifices speed (7-9 knots "economical" speed) for crew comfort with the wheelhouse and crew quarters placed in the aft compared to traditional OSV's

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
Looks like Tote is building a new LNG powered container ship to run on the west coast (California to Hawaii?)

quote:

SAN DIEGO – General Dynamics NASSCO, a wholly owned subsidiary of General Dynamics (NYSE: GD), announced today that it has finalized a contract with TOTE, Inc., for the design and construction of two 3,100 TEU LNG-powered containerships, setting a new benchmark in green ship technology. When completed the 764-foot-long containerships are expected to be the largest ships of any type in the world primarily powered by liquefied natural gas (LNG). Construction of the first containership is scheduled to begin in the first quarter of 2014, with delivery to occur by the fourth quarter of 2015; the second ship will be delivered in the first quarter of 2016. The contract between NASSCO and TOTE Shipholdings, Inc., a subsidiary of TOTE, Inc., includes options for three additional ships.

edit: running from Florida to Puerto Rico

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
show me your teak floored ballroom ECR not seen on the photo is the couch/coffe break area and the 63" TV

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
is it a babcock boiler?

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

Trench_Rat posted:

show me your teak floored ballroom ECR not seen on the photo is the couch/coffe break area and the 63" TV

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

StopShootingMe posted:

Looks like someone else is on a ship built by STX/OSV. Love those Stress Less chairs. Our wheelhouse is full of them.

the competition Ulstein :ssh: but still STX/OSV design is the official smugdog of OSV

:smugdog:

fake edit: someone make an animated gif of a pair sunglasses falling down on the bridge and saying deal with it

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

Sludge Tank posted:

are you serious? is that a loving ECR? that is amazing.

when there is a 78% illegal trade distorting subsidy tax refund for "investments" in the offshore industry you get to have nice things

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006
I've been geeking out lately on marinetraffic.com and seen alot of UK flagged tankers operating both in the north-sea and international. Are these ship UK crewed or is there some sort of "international" (filipinos and eastern europeans) UK flag and domestic UK flag

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trench_Rat
Sep 19, 2006

afen posted:

Nice thread!

I work as an Electrician on the worlds largest AHTS, we tow oil rigs around and anchor them up.

Here's a picture of my ship towing a rig into Rotterdam:

KL Sandefjord?

also PYF ocean going vessle flagged in a land locked country

http://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/no/shipdetails.aspx?MMSI=253383000

I cant find it now but a Swiss flagged tanker just past us a couple of days ago

• Locked thread