Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yep, there's a reason why one of the other cadets at my school earnt himself the name "Fingers".

As far as what you're taking away - take some sort of long replayable computer game. I highly recommend Civ IV for this, and if you want to learn another language, you'll have plenty of downtime.

I'm a little jealous, I REALLY want to go back to sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

The polite term is "Cadet".

Yeah, yeah, yeah...

As to shaft generators I haven't personally worked on a ship with one, but the simulator at our school it draws around 5% load which I assume is somewhere in the realm of possibility.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Out of curiosity what makes you decide to go for deck?
Engines not really your thing or what?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

localized posted:

I love engines and industrial stuff, but as FrozenVent said I would rather be outside than cooped up in the bottom. I am thinking I am going to do a minor in the engineering side so I can have experience in both departments. The guy who I interviewed with at the academy said I could always switch my major anyways, and my sister's boyfriend who is also a deckie said your first semster is the same for everyone anyways.

Do you guys get your work through unions or do you search out work on your own?

I'm not sure about where you're studying but the Dutch academies do a joint engine/deck qualification. You could ask your master/chief engineer when you get on board if you could spend two weeks on the bridge/engine room.

I got my cadetship through my school - a representative came down to interview us and I was one of the ones he picked. Some of my other classmates had to search out their own jobs and do all their own legwork.

FrozenVent posted:

There's also many days where I loving wish I was inside, in the engine room, where it's warm and there's light and no loving snow in my buttcrack.

Warm isn't really the word I would have picked, not sure about other ships but our engine room tended to sit between 45 and 55 degrees centigrade. gently caress Panama.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

lightpole posted:

From my experience with academy girls and his whining Im betting she is twice the man he is.
There is no doubt about that. There's a total of one girl in my class and we all thought that she was a man for a week or two, and she's also better in the workshop than almost all of us.

lightpole posted:

On diesel ships you will usually have an 8-5 schedule with 15-30 minute coffee breaks at 10 and 1500 and a 1 hour lunch from 12-13. This can vary depending on what your chief/1st wants.
Yeah, on my ship I worked a six hour watch and usually 5-6 hours of overtime. The midday-6pm watch is the best one.

goku chewbacca posted:

Let's say I'm not interested in going to any more university, but wouldn't object to a couple of years of technical education. On the job would be even better...through a walk-on apprenticeship and then sitting for exams and certifications sounds perfect. How soon can I be making $US60-70k? What does it take to make $100k+? Where does it top out after that? Do the captains get to keep smoking hot wives in every port?
Offshore supply is probably what you want to look at if you want the big money, that or oil and gas. Generally engineers make more at the lower ranks, I think you have to hit master or chief officer level to equal with your equivalent engineer. Correct me if I'm wrong.

goku chewbacca posted:

Also, spending months on end in close quarters with the same (more likely) men sounds like it could be challenging. What's the social environment like? Please don't be offended, but I imagine reactionary conservative blue-collar types are common. Would women, minorities, gays, or people with non-conforming beliefs/personalities find the environment confrontational and uncomfortable?
I had no trouble with it. Honestly, you judge people more on their work ethic and how easy they are to chat to rather than their beliefs or whatever - you live and work in close environments so everyone just straight up understands that you have to get on or it's gonna be real uncomfortable for everyone. Cruise ships are a bit of an exception because of how large the crew is - that leads to a lot of cliques forming.

FrozenVent posted:

An entry level ordinary seaman in Canada makes something like 6 - 9K a month, depending on overtime and that probationary pay thing they've got.
If you want good money, don't go cruise. The pay is a LOT less there. There are women, though.

FrozenVent posted:

The food... Heh. It ranges from "Five star restaurant" to "I'm gonna buy Kraft Dinner next time we make port", with the average in my experience being somewhere around "lovely high school cafeteria" There's usually plenty of it, tho.

There have been cases of crewmembers having pizza delivered via the pilot launch, however. Make of that what you will.
That rules, seriously. The food in general was pretty average on my ship, everything was cooked in butter or oil and it was pretty drat repetitive after about the first two weeks. Whenever we went to San Diego I'd eat three or four meals while I was ashore.

FrozenVent posted:

You sound like my mother. Your girlfriend's safe, she has access to laundry, and she eats her fill every day the cook doesn't gently caress up. Calm down.
Backing this up... You've got absolutely nothing to be worried about.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Eventually you develop "Boat social skills", as opposed to normal people social skills. These includes knowing which seat to take in the mess, how to disarm or cause a situation that would be reported as "Assault and death threat" ashore...

Yeah, I still laugh about the time the chief elec choked me out on the floor of the bar, but everyone I've told the story to back home thinks 1) i'm insane 2) he's a murderer. It was just a good laugh.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I think the lesson there is don't assume you can take someone on just because you're bigger than them, particularly not if they do a lot of jiu jitsu. But your answer is pretty good, too.

Edit: Nah, I tapped out eventually after realising I couldn't get out of it. Like I said, it was just a laugh.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I haven't been to Asia, however. The worst I've seen with regards to visa and poo poo is, frankly, the United States. It's the only country I've been where I've been photographed and fingerprinted by immigration... In any port, I'd say you have about a 50% chance of being able to get off the boat, between immigration and the goddamn TWIC. They do *not* like foreign seamen.

Christ don't even loving start. I was going to go stay with a friend of mine in the States after I left my ship in Lauderdale... well, long story short I would have had to leave the states and then reenter so that I could stay as a visitor. Apparently they can't reissue you a visa without you leaving the country :psyduck:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

^^^^ Have you checked with an actual marine medical examiner? You'd be surprised what you can get away with. poo poo, I had a Captain who was on like his third bypass.

Hahaha, holy poo poo.

FrozenVent posted:

Unless it's color blindness, then you're well and hosed.

Not in the engine room!

FrozenVent posted:

It was just one finger, I can't recall which one.

Huh.... I had to show two.

FrozenVent, where in Canada are you? My next contract should be starting around August sometime, want to grab a beer if I'm close by and you can bear the shame of drinking with an engineer cadet?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah cruise, might be the Eurodam this time around which actually does that coast of Canada. I'll flick you a message if I'm anywhere near the major centres ay?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

4 years? Mine's only three...

But yeah, I agree, probably one of the quickest paths to earning 6 figures I can imagine. One year after this one for me!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Aha, that would be the difference - I don't walk out with a degree in engineering, just my ticket.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What kind of route are you following there, lightpole?
Enjoy, it's funny... I just can't wait to get back to it, but then I'm a cadet, so yeah.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey buddy, whereabouts are you working at the moment?
Seismic sounds like something worth getting into, I hear there's some pretty good money there.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

So what's the figures... we've got FrozenVent on the deck side with his license, lightpole in engineering? Also with his license, me as an engine cadet, pazrs I guess as an engine cadet as well, magpie a deck cadet, poo poo, we're getting a few in here.
That 10:1 is ridiculous, everywhere I've heard of is really hurting for qualified engineers and deck officers both. I have HEARD that engineers are in greater demand but certainly nothing like that.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I somehow completely missed the part about that being for cadet applications.
You're right about the dropout rate though. We had 22, we're down to 17 in the second year, and there are at least 5 I can point to that are going to find it extremely tough to make it through. I expect we'll be below 10 when we graduate.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pazrs posted:

I'm hoping to go straight into the offshore industry, where in Australia the standard swing is 5 weeks on 5 weeks off or the med swing 3on-3off-3on-6off (which I was use to from platforms).

Yeah, this is what my brother does. Work is kinda so so but the money is awesome.

I'm thinking I may go into it once I qualify. I'll probably do a year on the cruise ships then head to offshore, but I haven't decided yet.

Whereabouts in Aus are you located man?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Backing up what FrozenVent said - don't look at all my pictures of me getting drunk in Mexico and think 'wow, that looks awesome!' He's dead right about the life being routine - that suits some people such as myself, doesn't suit others. Are you interested in Deck or Engine more? I can't say poo poo about Deck but Engine is a lot of fun if you're that way inclined.
We did have someone from the US in here a little while ago, if they come back they'll be able to give you more specific information on the way things are handled over there.
But basically, find a maritime college (I think one's in Maine?), study and work your rear end off, get your license, earn money.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

It's routine but important work which is why I like it. I struggled with office jobs because I always felt like the work I was doing wasn't actually worth anything.
Sure, on a ship my work might be routine, but it's important stuff - wiping up an oil leak can help prevent the spread of fire. Noticing a higher temperature can help prevent a bearing burning out. Smelling something unusual can prevent a big problem.
See where I'm coming from?

But then there are times when you're sitting in the bunker break for hours on end watching a pipe, which sucks balls. How old are you?
What have you done previously?
Any seagoing experience at all?

You've got a few options as well - you can look at cruise ships which is what I'm working on at the moment, cargo/container/tanker vessels which I believe FrozenVent works on, or Offshore supply, which my brother does.
The money is the lowest on cruises, but there are women. I believe offshore pays the best but the work can be tough.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Well, the sea is not going anywhere anytime soon, that's for sure. The majority of the world's transport is done by sea and that is unlikely to ever change, so you aren't wrong about it being a growth industry.
I was 23 when I started studying marine engineering, and although my circumstances were different it was the best decision I've ever made.

If you can, do your cadetship on cruise ships. It's a good time.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

Edit: It's 1130 and I have an assignement. :smug:

Enjoy, mate. What sort of route are you doing, do you know?

Hey Fish Shalami, I've heard words that American licenses are not recognised internationally and vice versa. Any truth to that?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Honestly the kind of money we can make in this career is so loving sweet.
I take it you're up in Maine, or is that just where you studied?

I guess what I'm asking, is with my New Zealand licence (well, once I qualify anyway), can I work on American ships?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Sorry to hear that, dude. You can't look at corrective surgery or anything?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

What's a valve again?

I kind of like his way of doing it, to be honest. I knew so little when I went out on my first cadetship, it was ridiculous. And he gets to earn money, like he says.

Any photos, man?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I've known marine engineers who have gone ashore to work in power stations and the like. Marine engineering is a jack-of-all-trades job and you pick up an awful lot of knowledge that covers a wide range of fields, so you're pretty employable.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Less than two weeks to go now. Can't wait!

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Did you do a cadetship on the Golden Bear?
She was in Auckland last weekend with 240 cadets on board. So naturally we showed them a good old Kiwi time - most of our maritime school took them out and we all got absolutely hammered.

Took a photo just because.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Aug 4, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I could see the point for the first time out, but still holy poo poo, 240 loving cadets. That's like 10 times my graduating class, all on one boat... there's not enough booze in the world.

It was actually a dry ship, but goddamn it was a good night when we all went out. My credit card took an absolute pounding.

Pants, Grandpa! posted:

Yeah, I did my freshman and senior cruises on the Golden Bear, good times; absolute poo poo shows in every port we went to. I probably know a couple of the senior Texas students that were on there.

I'd ask you about a few names but honestly I can't really remember any of them, it was that kind of night.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

pazrs posted:

Had my second of three Engineering Exams this morning, it basically consisted of:

*Forces in helical and double-helical (herringingbone) gearboxes.
*Stern tubes.
*Flow paths in water tube boilers.
*Survey requirements for (main 60 bar) boilers.

And a bit of other crap, was a lot easier then expected. Tomorrow is support systems and electrical.

Are you doing a steam ticket man? I haven't heard of a 60 bar boiler on a commercial diesel ship in a while.

shovelbum posted:

Tell me what I am missing here, I was away from home 9+ months a year just to scrape up a 20 grand salary as an archaeologist, when I could find work at all, is there a catch to this or is it seriously a reasonably-paid field that people actually don't want to do, with jobs out there for new grads?

No, this is pretty much it as far as I can tell. There is a massive shortage of marine engineers worldwide and companies are absolutely screaming for people. As near as I can tell, nobody wants to do it. It seems like everyone has this idea in their heads that IT/Law is where the huge money is so everyone runs off to those careers.
Let them, I say, I'll enjoy my time on the ocean.

Congratulations, by the way. You'll have a blast.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Haha, we have a lecturer just like that. It must be something about older people. He's an incredibly onto it guy though. Anything I've ever needed to know about boilers or steam he has been the man to ask.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

I had a lecturer obsessed with steam too, and I'm deck. They're just one of those cliché characters, like how there's an engineer on every boat who's obsessed with the poo poo bacterias. (Best trolled b loudly asking the cook for some Ajax)

gently caress, you had one of those too? Every time I went to take a poo poo I'd tell him I was feeding the bacteria, and he'd get a big happy grin.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If you do a Golden Bear cruise and it comes down to NZ, let me know - I'll make sure to meet you for a beer.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Yeah, we had one guy who had literally never been in the water in his life. Watching him do his survival training was hysterical, we honestly thought he was going to drown - in a lifejacket. It's a lot harder than a lot of people expect it to be. I've made it through second year, but I'm not looking forward to all the insane maths+physics in third year.

It's just not what a lot of people expect, I think.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

As you should be. Can we get a count here?
Deck: Frozenvent, who else?

Engine: Me, you, pazrs, and was someone else one as well?

Might be worth updating the OP? Not really sure if you want to do that, FrozenVent.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Aug 9, 2011

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

You might be better to ask in the Legal Questions Megathread over in BFC. I don't really know, sorry, it's not something I've ever had to deal with.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I have a question...

Why does my life kick so much rear end?

Oh yeah, because I have no responsibility and work on a cruise ship.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I'm currently sitting in Tauranga harbour and I'm mad as hell.
I can see those loving morons sitting on the reef from our bridge. There is HFO globs floating in the loving harbour and god drat I am mad as gently caress about this. This is a well-known, well-documented, highly visible reef that some idiots smashed straight into, Maritime NZ has done precisely gently caress and all about pollution prevention and we're looking at anywhere up to 1400 tons of HFO being dumped into the ocean on one of the best diving spots around Tauranga. What in the gently caress is wrong with those morons I hope every single jackass on that boat gets a loving reaming and loses their tickets for life. I'll get some photos when I go ashore later today.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

From what my lecturers (former masters) have told me, they think it's pretty likely that the ship could break up. There's already major cracks in the hull.

And no, no pollution booms. It's absolutely unbelievable.

But yeah, barges are there offloading which is something, I guess. But honestly, this is a loving travesty and I simply cannot believe how pisspoor maritime nz's response has been.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

I didn't get any pictures sorry, was preoccupied.

I'm meeting with a couple of my lecturers in the next few days so I'll ask them about a US ticket coming down here. Might be easy, might not. I'll see what I can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Tell me about it, man. Look up a ship and find out about the accident they had last year, and then I have to do lifeboat lowering for my taskbook. Sitting in that thing was loving nerve-wracking.

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Sep 7, 2015

• Locked thread