Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
I'm applying for a deck officers cadetship with SSTG (UK). I recently dropped out of uni (just not for me) and in my perusing the merchant navy really stood out to me as a good career path.

Is there anything I can do to get a taste of the lifestyle or to make my application sturdier?

I'm also in two minds as how to present my year at uni and how I ended up looking at boats. In truth I had never really considered the MN until now, but I'm really up for it and am keen to start a career.

I have some business management qualifications prior to uni which I thought might (with some massaging) support a deck officer application due to the role of responsibility etc etc inherent in the role.

Thanks for any advice or titbits anyone can offer, I'm really in knowledge assimilation mode as far as this goes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Wow thanks, lots of information. My SSTG application is on the rocks as I got a C in high-school maths (requirement is B). I phoned them up and had a chat with a guy who says I can organise a resit and put in my predicted grade so I guess I'll do that. He also said they have a 10:1 applications to places ratio for deck so gently caress me (30:1 in ETO).

Magpie which agency did you go through? Yeah I would be going for the foundation, its obviously the better qualification and you can upgrade to a bachelors. I watched Mighty Ships when I first got interested, great show! Just started The Merchant Navy so I'm getting a full TV education going.

He didn't give me a figure but said that engineering had a lower ratio. He also said to stick to my guns. I mean I would consider engineering, I just thought I'd be better on deck. But what do I know.

I'm planning on applying to every agency and getting a MN medical asap - already have a passport, but I think most people in the UK do as out country is so small.

Another thing he said another thing I should do is make my application stand out, I guess this is the personal statement section he's referring to. I got very good at this for journalism but I'm kind of in the dark as to how to present myself as an inspired potential sea person.

Tactical Grace fucked around with this message at 10:30 on Jun 3, 2011

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
In the UK at least the recession is really kicking in. Apparently the application rate has "exploded" in the last year.

Tactical Grace
May 1, 2008
Why are there such high drop out rates? Are they specific to the USA?

• Locked thread