Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Tactical Grace posted:

Wow thanks, lots of information. My SSTG application is on the rocks as I got a C in high-school maths (requirement is B).

Really? I got a cadetship with maersk starting this september at warsash and im pretty sure for an hnd you only need standard grades (scottish 4th year exams) and that highers (5th and 6 year)were only a req for a foundation degree which at the end of the day is pretty much the same thing except I get paid slightly more and can do a little extra to get an honours degree in marine engineering. On a side note I just got my uniform through and my god I loving love this jumper. I love jumpers man.

Oh and when you interview make sure and say you think college will be a lot stricter and more work than uni. They love that. Its also true if you didn't do some hardcore degree.

As for a background in sea I have literally none and when they asked I just talked about how the grandad was in the navy and how im from glasgow and always saw the docks and loved going to museums with engineeringy stuff in them as a kid. I did a degree in business and hated it and now im doing this so I just presented myself as someone who was kinda lost then realised they could do something interesting like the merchant navy. You definatly do not need a sailing background in the slightest.

Try applying to clyde marine and maersk aswell as sstg, they asked me if I had applied to others when I interviewed and seemed happier that I had because I was taking it seriously. I am flying to london on sunday to get my american visa. Pain in the rear end.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 6, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Bawjaws posted:

Glasgow nautical. As bad as I hear?
What's the worst college to end up at in the UK? I've heard some grim tales about warsah too, particularly the accommodation block.

Warsash is quite nice really, the accommodation isn't too bad although they do charge far too loving much for it. Rent a 5 bedroom house nearby now with other cadets and its way cheaper.

I am actually from glasgow and I have never had a high opinion of the nautical college and neither does anyone I know who has done anything there. I know for a fact that Maersk refuses to send cadets there anymore. The phantom shitter story at warsash is true by the way, knew who it was as well, total oval office.

Warsash is nice in that every person there is doing maritime stuff as opposed to hairdressing. Its not strict either, the days of manditory morning jogs are long passed. Wear your uniform, don't poo poo in the tumble drier. A lot of the teaching stuff are old merchant/royal navy guys so they know their stuff.

Whether you think it deserves it or not warsash is still considered the best in the uk for the training.

Southampton city itself is a dump though, they only time you will ever make that journey is to visit the worst/best club in the uk, jesters. Glasgow would be way better if you want an awesome city.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 10, 2012

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

pazrs posted:

Who's hanging out for the 'Captain Phillips' movie?

Why do radars in movies always go ping ping ping ping?

I was theorizing earlier that the chief made the deck cadet do the noises to give them something to do after making the tea.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

This may be a daft question regarding career advice but maybe some of you can give me some insight. Currently an engine Cadet in the UK so they have me on the foundation degree course. My sponsor company has flat out said they won't pay for me to do the top up to the full degree and has indicated to the deck cadets that they would be unlikely to enforce the 2 years or so we are supposedly bound to work for them at the end of the cadetship. They haven't said anything to the engine side but it's not a stretch to assume the same for us. The question really is how much value would I actually get out of topping up this foundation degree into the full honours degree in terms of a career at sea and ashore in comparison to not doing it? If the company is ready to cut us all loose as it seems and I have the means of paying for it myself would it be worth my time? It seems like a good thing to have given that I will likely end up working ashore down the line. It's not even a particularly huge amount of work to get on top of the FD.

The only reason I would see not to chase it is if really it is worth dick all. Would I be better served trying to get my first ship as a 4th ASAP either with the company or someone else if they cut me loose? The company is Maersk for the record, I would also be interested if any of you guys have anything to say about working for them in comparison to heading elsewhere.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My EOOW orals are in less than a month, so riddle me this because I am getting told completely different things; If you have a fire in the uptakes do you want to run the soot blowers as part of your response? I've got a couple of people insisting that you absolutely shouldn't but up until this point I had considered it a reasonable thing to do. Additionally what is generally considered a reasonable answer if they ask you how long you should leave the engine to cool before approaching the crankcase in the event you are dealing with an oil mist alarm? I was going to say at least an hour but it pays to check I guess.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Oh jeese, it's things like that that will end up throwing me off. Sure I can explain a hydrophore tank but if I had gotten blindsided with that I would be stumped on the exact pressure as well. Pressures in general are throwing me off, thinking back for other systems i'm left going "uh yeah it was....what was it, 1 or 2 bar? I think? gently caress".

Edit: Does 6 bar sound right for a hydrophore tank? Thats what my tattered old scribbled notepad from ship says.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 01:49 on May 4, 2014

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

pazrs posted:

Always been told never soot blow with an uptake or economizer fire. Just boundary cool, reduce load blah blah.
Additionally, cover your turbo intake once the main engine has stopped. Twenty minutes for an OMD alarm is considered the minimum, but in your answer make it clear that longer is always better!

Some other interesting questions:

Can you depart port without a working turning gear?
What could you do to regulate the temperature of the Superheater, if the Attemperator control valve fails?
When must you take main engine crankshaft deflections?
What happens when one of your main engine fuel pump cam followers doesn't move to ahead after running astern?

1. I don't know if there is any regulation that says you can't. I suppose if it was just to do with the need to turn the engine over you could suggest manually barring it over as an option. I also know for a fact that the ships I've sailed on turn the drat thing over on air with the cocks open to check they are clear rather than do it on the gear. Not that I would ever say that in the orals.

2. Reduce the load and or something something burner tilt angles?

3. Aside from regular intervals (Im not actually sure how often this is) i'm thinking after grounding/collisions and possibly if you have had a hot spot set off your oil mist alarms?

4. I don't quite follow, my understanding was that when switching to forward/reverse the cam shaft itself is moved along to present a set of cams in a different orientation that will give the correct order of injection for what you are wanting to do. When you say the cam followers aren't moving are you referring to the cam shaft or am I totally off base here. This one is probably really obvious to you guys but I've actually only sailed with electronically controlled slow speed diesels, the things don't actually have cam shafts.

Edit: I suppose if the result was that one unit was injecting at the incorrect time you could cut the fuel supply to that unit until you could carry out a repair?

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 16:49 on May 4, 2014

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

My experience with hydrophore tanks mainly came from my second ship where they had decided to extend the height of the accommodation block several decks higher and kept everything else the same as the rest of the ships in the class, the result of which was an extremely upset captain always complaining he never got hot water in his cabin. Mind you this was also the ship where one of the toilets would flush with scalding hot water because I assume they hooked the loving thing up to the wrong line when they built it.

Edit: I see how the reverse is working now, you either need to shift the position of the cam follower or the other way is hydraulically rotating the cams like this http://www.marinediesels.info/2_stroke_engine_parts/Other_info/lost_motion.htm

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 20:45 on May 4, 2014

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Just popping in to say I passed my Orals, no idea what to do with myself now that I don't have to study all day.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I don't suppose anyone could give me some career guidance based on their own experience? I have a British ticket and I'm about to do my second trip as a 4th eng with Maersk Line, if hypothetically I wanted to ditch Maersk containers what are my best options to consider? My current plan is to fix up my CV and just fire it at everyone that owns a ship and see what if anything bites. Also if anyone has experience of escaping to a shore job I would be interested in hearing about it.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I have thought about supply, I don't actually know how hard it is to move around inside Maersk. I almost landed in Maersk tankers before some other sod swiped the job and the gist of it then was 'yes maybe one day'. In a slight change of topic, supposedly we get a half day on Sunday. I can count the number of times I got the drat thing in my last trip on the fingers of a rude gesture. I know its petty but having that rest time taken away on the flimsiest of excuses every loving week is depressing as gently caress. If something goes wrong and I have to work extra time that's fair enough but 9/10 its some nonsense that will still be there on Monday. It's not like they give me it on another day because obviously Sunday is the sacred rest day and if you miss it tough poo poo. I know its minor but I wish they would just stop promising it if they aren't going to loving deliver.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

lightpole posted:

Purifier room accident. The video was something else. Not my ship.

What was the story on this one anyway? I am convinced those westfalia purifiers exist only to cause human misery and suffering. As an aside the guy who wrote the diss-assembly manual should be locked in a basement until he can open one with the tools they give you. About the only reliable way I've found of getting into one is heating it up with the gas axe and taking turns sledge hammering it. The bolts holding the tool down only last a few good hits before you are in danger of shearing them as well.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

lightpole posted:

I've never had a problem with Westfalias although one of my chiefs was from New England and pronounced them Westfailures.

Maersk has a video of it happening we got to watch and it was kinda frightening. So those purifiers discharge into a common line. There's a valve at the outlet just before the braided hose you can see but that only let's you work on the purifier without shutting the others down. The 2nd was pulling the braided hose for some reason while he was on watch and was one of the only ones around. He was not aware that the purifiers had a common discharge so when the line came off, black oil spraying everywhere. He 1st tried to hold the line and get it back on before retreating and trying to figure out where the oil was coming from.

That's all RMK 720 and it's 100C and he took a shot to the face. When he was running around trying to figure out where it was coming from he was sliding around like he was on ice. Luckily he only sustained burns to his hands, probably from trying to hold the braided hose, and no damage to his face.

Watching it at first it was kinda funny but after thinking about it for a bit I decided I would approach every such scenario from the point of already having hosed up instead of saying I'm too smart to do that and that puts it in a very different perspective. If that was me I would be loving terrified, making GBS threads my pants wanting to curl up in the corner and cry probably. Obviously I would wait till everything was handled and I was in the shower before doing so but the point remains. Anyone that goes out to sea for any length of time is almost guaranteed to run into a situation where their knowedge, experience, skills and brain just aren't quite ready for their confidence and they make a mistake.

That's the gist of it. 2nd pulled a line without a complete knowledge of the system while on watch in the engine room alone. I have no idea what pressure he was under to do that at night, how much sleep he had since he would be 4-8 etc etc so I have withheld any feelings on his skills.

There is nothing but that valve on the discharge side of the purifier between it and the common line to the service tank? I'll probably be made to watch that video when I'm back on board by the same chief who insists I should 'just know' when I want to take some time to go over the pipeline diagram before I start loving with something new.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Out of curiosity did you ever see that report going round maersk a few months back with the damaged piston rod? The official line was that the crew had taken off the lower clamp and to their shock found the surface of the rod horribly mangled beneath it. We had a good laugh because they managed to take a photo showing the stuffing box which they had obviously just taken off after stowing the piston with it left on sitting in the corner. Or how about the accident report with the lathe where they claimed the guy had turned the chuck over with the key and trapped his finger with enough force to essentially sever the thing, which was clearly what happened as opposed to some idiot turning the lathe on with the chuck key still in and cut out on the guard not being functional.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I wish I had the pictures because it would be a lot easier than describing it. The claim was that the wood it was resting against where it was held in place did the damage. The damage was obviously further up than that and was the exact dimensions of the stuffing box, it looked like horizontal bands gouged into the surface where you would expect points of contact to have been. I admit my limited experience on this one as we don't store our pistons with the box mounted so I don't know if its actually a common practice. The story they gave was obviously bollocks though, the pictures they took were taken after the piston had already been moved and placed through the platform next to the engine and as I mentioned the stuffing box was sitting next to the thing having clearly just been taken off to reveal the damage.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Got a working hours question to pitch to you guys. I work on container vessels and since switching to another fleet within the company my standard working day as an engineer has switched from 8-5+UMS to being 6-5+UMS. In addition i've gone from 30 min coffee breaks and one hour for lunch to 15 and 30 mins respectivly. So my average day with zero additional breakdowns has become 11 hours. How exactly does this fit with MLC working time rules which state that a 'normal' day for seafarers is 8 hours? The company has chosen to operate on the minimum rest hours rather than the maximum working hours as stated in MLC but I was under the impression that the minimum rest hours rules were a hard minimum that you can't violate unless its a total emergency rather than a goal to try and hit every drat day.

Quoting the relevent section of MLC2006 below.

1. For the purpose of this Standard, the term:

§ (a) hours of work means time during which seafarers are required to do work on account of the ship;

§ (b) hours of rest means time outside hours of work; this term does not include short breaks.

§ 2. Each Member shall within the limits set out in paragraphs 5 to 8 of this Standard fix either a maximum number of hours of work which shall not be exceeded in a given period of time, or a minimum number of hours of rest which shall be provided in a given period of time.

§ 3. Each Member acknowledges that the normal working hours’ standard for seafarers, like that for other workers, shall be based on an eight-hour day with one day of rest per week and rest on public holidays. However, this shall not prevent the Member from having procedures to authorize or register a collective agreement which determines seafarers’ normal working hours on a basis no less favourable than this standard.

§ 4. In determining the national standards, each Member shall take account of the danger posed by the fatigue of seafarers, especially those whose duties involve navigational safety and the safe and secure operation of the ship.

§ 5. The limits on hours of work or rest shall be as follows:

§ (a) maximum hours of work shall not exceed:

§ (i) 14 hours in any 24-hour period; and

§ (ii) 72 hours in any seven-day period; or

§ (b) minimum hours of rest shall not be less than:

§ (i) ten hours in any 24-hour period; and

§ (ii) 77 hours in any seven-day period.

§ 6. Hours of rest may be divided into no more than two periods, one of which shall be at least six hours in length, and the interval between consecutive periods of rest shall not exceed 14 hours.

The way I read that picking which way you like in section 2 is not a mutually exclusive thing from section 3. Is there any explanation that clarifies this unambiguously? Because otherwise the office seems to think they can work me 14 hours a day 6 days a week and they can gently caress right off.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Heres a question, on my last ship I got into a heated debate about firefighting door entry procedures. I've always been taught that the correct method on an outward opening door is for the No.2 to be positioned "behind" the door and to open towards himself a small amount and the nozzle man to be on the other side ready to give it some bursts before slamming it shut again, repeat etc. However all the danish crew from the cadets to the chief engineer were insistent that they were taught never to have anyone behind an opening door, their reasoning behind that if there was a backdraft they would get crushed. Call me an idiot but I'm fairly sure that getting hit by a door is the least of your worrys if a backdraft blows up in your face and in general whats far more likely to occur is that since you don't have a chap behind the door doing the opening and closing you are going to encounter situations where you lose control of the door and it fully opens when you really don't want it to.

It really winds me up because our fire drills are completely worthless and stuff like door entry isn't even discussed, let alone things like "should we even open this door?". All we do is wank out rigging up the hoses and putting on the BA sets and send the teams charging into the space so we can finish before lunch. I'm sick to death of all the drills being planned and conducted by apathetic chief mates to tick off a box.

Mr Teatime fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Fire teams never get radios unless you start shouting about it in maersk line. During an actual real engine room fire we had literally every radio vanished into the hands of the deck deparment, everyone from the third mate up had one so they could act like they weren't being completely useless but the fire team didn't get didly.

• Locked thread