Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr_cardholder
Jun 30, 2009

Oh well. It's humanity's problem now.
Sup, fellow boat goons!

I don't have a lot to share right now since I am currently in the middle of my first rotation as a processor on a seismic vessel but I will be certain to keep up with this thread.

If anyone has any questions for a first timer, I will be happy to answer them as best I can. Bear in mind that I'm not a part of the marine crew so I may be unable to answer questions about licenses and such since I have none other than my offshore safety certification.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr_cardholder
Jun 30, 2009

Oh well. It's humanity's problem now.

Two Finger posted:

Hey buddy, whereabouts are you working at the moment?
Seismic sounds like something worth getting into, I hear there's some pretty good money there.

Sorry I've been out of touch for a while. Been living it up in Las Palmas for the last few days. Our boat was in for some work so we got to go on shore leave for a while after shift.

We're currently going north up to the coast of Ireland to begin our next project. I will only be on board a few days during shooting before crew change and flying back home.

The money is definitely good (highest paying job I've had so far) but the kicker for the deal is that you are only supposed to work on a 5 week rotation. This means you are getting a full years salary and are only supposed to be working half the year. It varies based on company whether you have to go into the office to do work during your off time.

FrozenVent posted:

I keep getting recruitment emails for seismic jobs, I haven't bothered applying because I've got no offshore experience...

Is seismic as boring as it sounds? How are the conditions?

I had no offshore experience either before joining up so I can relate.

With the boring question, it depends on what you define as boring. If you mean that the work is repetitive and you are usually doing the same thing for 12 hours a day every day of the week for 5 weeks then yes, it can get very boring. On the other hand, you can be called out to assist on deck or with unloading or loading the boat so there is definitely some variability in the work routine.

Most of my off time I spend either sleeping or eating so boredom is not too big of an issue. There is also a gym on board that I frequently use. The boat itself is very nice: it's a brand new boat with a lot of comforts in the cabins like TV's, dvd players and game consoles in the TV lounge. Food is also excellent but that is because we have an unlimited food budget and a 5 star chef on board so your mileage may vary.

One other thing: if you have never been offshore before and have not had your tonsils out, be prepared to be sick as a dog when the weather picks. You will get seasick at some point, just a matter of when. Today was my day so I'm writing this in between my sessions of praying to the porcelain gods so be ready for that.

• Locked thread