Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011
This thread is awesome. I was a 3/m for Chevron, just quit. Working for Transocean now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

lightpole posted:

Jones Act means companies need US flagged tankers. Polar is ConocoPhillips, SeaRiver I think is Exxon, Chevron has their own. Theres also ATC and OSG.

Yep, Chevron's fleet is in the 20's but that is international. US fleet consists of four product tankers bought from seabulk.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

FrozenVent posted:

That sounds like the entire Canadian fleet. No joke, the first boat I worked on was 25 years old, and it was a "New" boat.

That's not even bringing up the lakes, where we have 50 year old things still going around... Keep in mind that the Canadian GL fleet also trades in salt water at times. Yeah. The boat I'm currently "assigned" to would give you tetanos just by looking at it.
You on the lakes?

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

Fish Shalami posted:

Just sent off my paperwork to USCG to upgrade to my 2nd Engineers Motor and Steam, hopefully there are no hold-ups.

Thinking about dumping the union and getting into the drill ships for a little bit, those guys are pulling in some serious cash.

You MEBA? I am. Though i don't work through them. The drillships pull huge money. Problem is many of them are international flag and have Chief's, firsts and some QMEDs. The ship i'm headed to is diesel electric and plant load is controlled by the mate on watch/DPO.

Best of luck with the USCG, those guys are changing everything right now.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011
I just got hired on with Transocean one one of there drill ships in west africa. Couldn't be happier. The money is stupid good.

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

lightpole posted:

Port of Oakland is moving slow. The Pacifics sailing time has been pushed back from 1700 today to 1100 tomorrow which kind of sucks since the 16-00 relief will stand the whole night and I dont get anything. The crew on there is stuck which really sucks for them. Tomorrow will be interesting and Im really glad I didnt pick up anything. They are letting people through it sounds like but not cars.

you being slowed up by your fellow 99% huh?

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

shovelbum posted:

Also interested in hearing about breaking into the oil field jobs, what has been helpful in landing those for people? I'm just a scrub-rear end cadet so I figure better start asking this stuff early.

Deck or engine?
Offshore is booming. Just got hired by transocean as a thirdmate on a drill ship in west africa. Pay is stupid good. Industry is hurt for DPO's as a result of a some new laws. Honestly if you can get into drilling i don't know why you would go any place else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PowerJew
Oct 19, 2011

tworavens posted:

I'm graduating school this month with an Associates Degree from a tech school in Electrical Technology which is basically a bunch of industrial electrical classes, some commercial, and residential with a healthy dose of the NEC. Is there a school or apprenticeship program for becoming a marine electrician? I'm perfectly willing to spend money on classes provided I can do it while working or on some distance learning program.
google QMED (qualified member of engineering department). It is an unlicensed rating. One of which is electrician....along with pumpman, machinest, ect. Lots of places offer classes.

• Locked thread