Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skinner
Oct 22, 2003

I'm in a similar situation as shovelbum and thinking about either getting a job with a cruise line (American Cruise Line, specifically) as a deckhand or going to Maine Maritime and going deck. I've got a Bachelors that's doing me nothing and currently work as a deckhand on an 80 foot landing craft. I plan on getting my 100-ton Masters license relatively soon but there's just not much room for advancement around here. I could also do Maine Maritime for about $7000 a year as an in-state student.

Is it worth it to go further into debt for another degree? Or would it be better to start as a deckhand and work up from there? I know that takes significantly more time and effort. Talking to a deckhand who works on the vessel I'd try to work on it seems like alright work and good pay.

Also, this ship is near-coastal so I guess that would disqualify me from 3rd Mate Unlimited if I went the deckhand route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

How crazy would it be to get into the quickest deck program there is now? Is the DP salary and hiring a flash in the pan? I'm currently a captain at a small company transporting commercial vehicles to islands but there's really no place for me to advance so I'm leaving the job anyway. I can get in-state tuition at Maine Maritime but that's still pretty expensive. The SUNY graduate program looks interesting too but I'm not sure my BA in poli. sci. will cut it there.

skinner
Oct 22, 2003

localized posted:

Even with previous sailing experience the fastest you can get through the unlimited deck program at Maine Maritime is three years. The limited side you could probably do in two, depending on what type of license you have currently/how badly the school fucks you over when transferring credits. MMA also offers a two year graduate program that gets you a Masters in business and a 200T mate ticket, but as far as I know that is quite expensive.

I've been looking at the graduate program at MMA but can't find any sort of information on the career options and outlooks except for their own claims. Have any of you run into people who've done a program like that at one of the academies? The SUNY program looks interesting too.

The graduate programs are more realistic for me as I only have a 100 ton license.

• Locked thread