Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!

FrozenVent posted:

I've been sailing since 2004, and I've worked with two guys who were prior navy, out of... I don't know, 200, 250 seamen? This is Canada, mind you. If the navy gave you any STCW certification, good for you, otherwise you'll have to go get them.

Then you're still at the back of the line in the Union hall. If you haven't been to sea, then you definetly don't have any sea time, so that's bumpkiss help certificate / license wise.

Medical experience... Heh, if you're an officer it might come up once or twice in your career, but what the company needs is someone with a Person in Charge of Medical Care certificate, STCW such and such. (Or whatever the gently caress it's called, I'd have to reach into a drawer to look at it.) They don't actually care about wether or not you can stitch someone back together, as long as you have the paper that says you can.

In this domain, your resume doesn't count for much - If you're unlicensed, you still have to wait in line at the Union; if you're looking for work on your own, well... The first page of my resume is a laundry list of certificates and license, with a line about how many years of experience I have on what type of vessels. The second page is a listing of every companies and vessels I've worked for.

The offshore industry hires full time medics, I think. I don't know what they need exactly, but that might be worth looking into.

I can tell you a little bit about offshore medics.

My company provides medics to oil platforms, drilling rigs, dive ships, and pipeline barges and other similar vessels. We provide service to mainly the Gulf of Mexico, but we do have a few overseas contracts.

You'll need your TWIC card, and your MCPIC. MCPIC is a 45 hour Coast Guard course for experienced medical providers to deal with things like suturing, basic eye/ear/nose/throat exams, and some minor surgical procedures. It's not difficult at all, and you'll probably never use most of it in the Gulf since you'd just medevac anyone remotely serious.

Anyhow, it's easy work. Lots of free time. Not at all like being a street EMT/paramedic. You might have 1 or 2 patients a shift with minor complaints. Minimal paperwork unless it's something critical. Shifts are usually 12 hours. In general, you work 14 days on, 14 days off. Some jobs are 28 days on, 28 days off. The pay is a little better than on the streets, but nothing spectacular.

I've never heard of a large tanker/container ship having a medic... does that ever happen? I thought it usually just fell on the captain or another officer to play medic if the need arises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CombatMedic
Feb 26, 2004

ANUDDAH SUCCESSFOOL PRECEEDJUH!
I saw that Maersk Drilling was mentioned earlier.

Right now, they only have one US-based drilling rig in the Gulf. However, they are currently building 2 or 3 new drillships, at least one of which will probably end up in the Gulf. Maersk Group has been saying they want to focus on the growth of the deepwater drilling portion of their business in the next decade or so, so if you see something come up from Maersk Drilling, take it. They are a great company to work for.

• Locked thread