Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".
US Academies-

West Coast-

Cal Maritime

Gulf Coast-

Texas A&M

East Coast-

Maine Maritime
Mass Maritime
SUNY (I think they are still around?)
Kings Point (Federal)

I might have missed one, please correct if so.

I can speak about CMA if there are questions.

Choosing an academy-

Usually they are cheaper if you are in state so I would go with cost since most people keep an eye on that.
Second, look through the programs that are available. There isnt too much difference but I think there are some like Power Engineering available at some of them.
Third, check on training ships and cruise destinations. This is pretty unimportant, the academy experience is not going to be very fun no matter where you go but if you can choose anywhere you want to go and cant decide then this might make a difference.
Fourth, Kings Point. They are a federal academy that takes a congressional appointment or something. I would look to the state academies first but if you can get in and want a free education and dont mind owing some sort of service then have fun.
Fifth, part of the country you want to end up in. Im not an east coast fan and would recommend CMA because of that. Some schools have certain companies or regions that recruit from them. If you want to find a cake job as a stationary engineer in the SF Bay Area then CMA is the place. I dont know much about the east coast though.

Thats about it. There will not be much difference between them otherwise.

"BUT I HEARD THAT [ACADEMY] IS poo poo YOU DONT KNOW WHAT YOU ARE TALKING ABOUT"

There is some difference in the regimentation of each school, CMA was known to be much more lax than other academies. They are currently tightening the regs and changing the school a lot. I have not compared the regimentation at each school so I dont know.

As far as academics are concerned, F=MA is the same in Europe or the US and the Otto Cycle does not change just because you went through the Panama Canal. You should probably not listen to anyone who tells you different.

My last Chief was a KP dropout who went to the MEBA school and he was pretty sharp but had no problem admitting his ignorance. He was of the opinion that anyone who could do their job and was willing and able to learn could not be a bad engineer. At the same time, unless you were in the process of making cold fusion a reality, it would be hard to say you were a great engineer. I tend to agree with him.

I have a USCG 3rd A/E's license but just finished sailing as Electrician/Reefer/Oiler. I got out of school and worked in shore-side power plants for a but and then decided I wanted to go out to sea. After sitting in the MEBA union hall for four months and getting low on cash I took an E/R/O job through the MFOW and spent six months sailing in between New York and Singapore. It was a pretty rough six months.

US shipping is pretty slow from January till about May when it starts to pick up. When you graduate from an academy there will be companies such as MSC specifically looking for recent graduates. There will also be unions such as AMO or MEBA who just want a license. If you have a dream job with a specific company then get your 4.0 and do whatever they want to guarantee it happens. Otherwise there is plenty of work available, mostly through unions, and nobody will care what your GPA is as long as you can do your job. Networking with your classmates is also a good job hunting resource. I started making $70k/year in power plants before I graduated. I get 6 figure job offers 5 years since graduation. As long as you arent an rear end in a top hat, are easy to work with and show an interest in the job/learning and know what you are doing people will be happy to work with you (for the most part). Just dont be an rear end in a top hat or try too hard to be a stereotype.

I did not bring enough underwear or socks so bring enough for at least two weeks between washes. I also bought like 20-30 things of almonds at Wal-Mart when we hit the USEC and they lasted me for awhile. The most essential thing I brought was my Kindle. It only had like 50 books when I started out and I managed to acquire and finish over 100 more in the 6 months I was on.

When you get to your first ship as a 3rd, dont be afraid to ask questions, they probably wont expect too much. You should know most of whats going on anyways. They will give you help or orientation (or should at least). If you gently caress up (you will), learn from it and move on. Just dont stress or freak out, be chill, follow your training and if you are in trouble call the 1st or Chief and ask questions or for help. Actually, you should probably be happy to play ignorant and just ask questions until they hate you and then ask more. After 4 months you get to get off and get a new ship (if you are union) and you get a clean slate.

I have never had a problem with seasickness on anything over 500'. A 1000' container ship just does not move much and your officers will be doing their best to avoid anything real big anyways.

Safety drills kill and injure a lot of people. I have some good pictures from my last trip.

Diesel ships can run with unmanned engine rooms, some might have a watch. Steam ships usually run with a manned engine room. Everything depends on the contract, company and Coast Guard.

On my last ship I went down the USEC to Port Said, through the Suez to Jebel Ali, Karachi, Singapore, Sri Lanka (I forget the name of the terminal) and back to Port Said and NY. I got to see some of Port Said till the new terminal went into operation and some of Singapore. Over two months I got less than 24 hours off the ship. The USEC I got to go to Wal-Mart in Charleston when we pulled in at 0300 and got my hair cut in Savannah and thats about it. Singapore I got some time in and it was really fun time until I was seasick... You really get to travel when you are not working since you dont have any work and a wad of cash in your pocket.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Click here for the full 768x1024 image.

ABS lifeboat inspection. I make sure Im too busy to even be around during these let alone in the boat. gently caress that Im not crazy.

Click here for the full 1280x956 image.

3rd getting off in India. There was some discussion on how to get him off and it was decided to drop him down to a cutter. At this point he has been in the basket suspended off the side for awhile while waiting on rain and seas.

Click here for the full 1446x1080 image.

Cutter coming round to make another pass and try again.

Cutter coming alongside. You can see how small they are compared to a container ship. We were moving a little, our main concern was controlling the basket. They were bouncing around like a cork.

Tried to get a shot showing how the distance to the water and where he had been swinging around for over an hour. Jumping off the side of the ship would not even compare to the tiny drop you take in survival swimming.

Need to get the rest of the pictures resized and transfer them from my phone. Ill finish this dramatic rescue in a sec.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Tons and tons of socks. If you figure you'll need 5 pairs, bring 12. A set of long underwear (Good pajamas, and the basis of any good cold winter gear if it gets cold). Immodium. Ex-lax. Extra deodorant. I wouldn't go so far as to bring my own pillow, but that's up to you. Soap and laundry soap are usually supplied by the company, but I wouldn't rely on their bar soap. It's usually cheap as gently caress. Maybe pack an extra toothbrush, in case yours goes flying off the shelf and land in the toilet. (True story)

What I managed to fit in my duffel bag (US military green duffel) and my hiking pack.

PS3 with games
MacBook Pro
Barely took a week and a halfs worth of socks and underwear, picked up more at Wal-Mart
Kindle
T-Shirts/tank tops (didnt wear t-shirts, too hot, grabbed more tanks at WM)
Boots/sandals/tennis shoes
Coveralls, Carharts, Dickis workshirts (Coveralls for the hot areas, switched to the pants and shirts in the Atlantic) At least 4 pairs.
Shorts/jeans/Dickis polos for port
Used my phone as my alarm clock.
My own warm blanket. Ive been on ships in cold weather without enough bedding. It sucks.
Toiletries. Bring soap/toothpaste/toothbrush/shaving needs/chapstick/moisturizer/deodorant
Nalgene or other water bottle. You need this. Bring it.
Also brought some of my own tools (multimeter, dykes, linemans pliers) just in case. You should not do this unless you dont care if you lose them the 1st day or they would be INDISPENSABLE to the job.

Thats pretty much it. Plan for weather, hot or cold. I did not bring foul weather gear/cold weather gear since I was on during summer in the Atlantic or in the Red Sea/Indian Ocean waiting to get the gently caress out. Also our A/C didnt work for around 10-15 days during the first trip so it was hot no matter what.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Mar 1, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Cutter approaching basket. This is on the stbd side. We could not control basket movement to port (towards camera) and the cutter is bobbing around like a motherfucker, dont be fooled by how calm the picture looks.

As soon as he hit the deck the cutter hit full reverse (I dont blame the cpt, if they hit us they didnt stand a chance) and the basket snagged in the cutters lifelines with the hook still attached. Luckily they got it free alright.

At this point he is safe on-board the cutter, although he has nothing except the coveralls he was wearing the last night when the accident happened (he claimed he slipped on a ladderwell in the port DG room). The cutters cpt decided he had had enough and that he was getting out and took him to the hospital, happy ending for everyone.

He died in the hospital in India of a heart attack while sitting up talking to the ships agent, totally unrelated to his accident. The hospital double checked the medical officers handiwork and could find nothing wrong with him prior to this.

Anyways heres a picture of the Red Sea at sunset. Its not a very happy day because I have around 5 weeks left. At least its my last trip.

Two Finger posted:

I'm a little jealous, I REALLY want to go back to sea.

You are an idiot.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Holy poo poo, that transfer. I thought you were just handing off his body until I read the end of your post; that's just loving scary.

Oh yeah. The first trip I took, the other cadet (We shared room :suicide:) had brought a normal electric alarm clock. Two things with that:

A) Ships sometime have weird electricity, like they were built in Europe or some poo poo
B) That ship had a really bad engine plant. No fault of the engineers, it was just a poo poo plant. They tried to used the shaft alternator a lot (SAVE DIESEL!) or something, and we had black outs all the time. Like once or twice a week. I think there was either a voltage or frequency gently caress up as well, because the alarm clock went insane after a while. (Cue the engineers going crazy on how I don't know the first thing about electricity)

But you have to watch out, cell phones will sometime grab the time and time zone from the local signal. If the ship isn't on the same time zone, well you either just lost an hour of sleep, or you're an hour late.

Most ships run 220v power for sockets. If you see a weird looking plug with two round holes you are looking at a 220v power source. Dont plug in your 110v cord to these outlets. Just because you are studying to be a mate does not mean you have to be ignorant.

It is difficult to maintain a steady 60 hz on the diesels and shaft generator since load is constantly shifting, the governors need to be rebuilt and the engines need to be re-timed. The shaft generator saves the engineers from having to do the hourly maintenance on the generators every ten days and saves a ton of fuel.

You can turn off your time update on your cellphone usually.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I dont remember but you just watch your BHP and engine temps anyways and keep things within threshold. We were running at our minimum speed anyways to save fuel except through the Red Sea. There was quite a lot of drifting as well.

Its not hard to tell the difference between 110 and 220. You have 2 flat blades or 2 round prongs.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
In the US I was under the impression that the deck side of things is quite crowded while the engine side has a little more room to find a job. Aside from better job prospects you will also have an easier time moving to a shore side job if you ever want to stop sailing. Right out of college I was able to get jobs paying $30-$45/hr on shore, basically making 6 figures on shore right out of school due to contract structure. Deck cannot do that.

I find my work through unions or simply networking for the most part. If you are interested in a particular company you need to do your research and go to the job fairs and stuff for it. During the recession jobs have been more difficult to find but there is always something decent out there.

angryhampster it depends on what country you are in. An OS in the US I think would make around $5k a month but Im not sure. I would say if you are young and want to make money and have a lot of time off its worth it. If you are older with a family you should stay home unless you are starving and your wife left you and took the kids.

Dual licenses used to be offered, I know Kings Point offered them but has stopped. The only way to go now is to get a mates license with a QMED rating, Cal Maritime still offers this option but its a lot of work. I have a friend who sails MMP and then heads over to the MFOW and grabs work. It works for him since jobs arent easy to get in MMP and they might not pay well while he has enough time for his 3rd A/E and a decent amount of cash from MFOW.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Mar 27, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

You sound like my mother. Your girlfriend's safe, she has access to laundry, and she eats her fill every day the cook doesn't gently caress up. Calm down.

From my experience with academy girls and his whining Im betting she is twice the man he is.

A steam ship will usually run a watch schedule of 4 on 8 off but you usually get 4 hours of OT during whatever 8-4 time you dont have watch.

On diesel ships you will usually have an 8-5 schedule with 15-30 minute coffee breaks at 10 and 1500 and a 1 hour lunch from 12-13. This can vary depending on what your chief/1st wants.

Its not hard to live anywhere you want working out of the union hall. As a group 3 MEBA 3rd it can be difficult but once you are able to pick up Sealand/Horizon jobs and you have a 2nds you can live where-ever you want. Working out of the union hall you kinda have an idea of when you are going to ship out as well, unless a friend calls you up and tells you when to be in the hall cause a job is coming in you want.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

goku chewbacca posted:

I'm not really understanding completely with all the acronyms and maritime jargon and various education and career paths and positions.

Let's say I'm not interested in going to any more university, but wouldn't object to a couple of years of technical education. On the job would be even better...through a walk-on apprenticeship and then sitting for exams and certifications sounds perfect. How soon can I be making $US60-70k? What does it take to make $100k+? Where does it top out after that? Do the captains get to keep smoking hot wives in every port?

Sounds like its more common to find short contracts, return home, then find your next job when you're feeling bored/broke. Is it uncommon to be employed permanently with the same company, or the same ship and crew? It also sounds like a significant portion of the year is spent not working. Despite all the down time, are the salaries so high because you're paid hourly and working so much overtime?

Home base for me would be in northeast Pennsylvania, just under 2hours from NYC and Philly. Maybe 5 from Erie. What are the major port cities (for finding jobs) here in the Northeast and Mid-Atlantic region? How about the eastern Great Lakes?

Also, spending months on end in close quarters with the same (more likely) men sounds like it could be challenging. What's the social environment like? Please don't be offended, but I imagine reactionary conservative blue-collar types are common. Would women, minorities, gays, or people with non-conforming beliefs/personalities find the environment confrontational and uncomfortable?

Most abbreviations are just unions/companies.

MSC - Military Sealift Command, US Gov.
MFOW - Marine Firemens, Oilers and Wipers Union
MEBA - Marine Engineers Beneficiary Association
AMO - American Merchant Officers
SIU - Sailors something Union
SUP - Sailors Union of the Pacific
MM&P - Masters, Mates and Pilots

Those are most of the US unions.

I would have to say schooling is the best way to go even though it sucks. I had quite a few people in my class who were older and had returned to school.

Job length depends. Union contracts are mostly 90-120 days before you have to get off in the first US port. I was on a "shuttle" so I stayed on for 180 days. Some of my friends sailing permanent are working 2 on 2 off or 3 on 3 off. Ask Mercury Ballistic about MSC's schedule. If you are looking for something specific you can probably find it.

On most ships you get paid so much because of the OT. My last ship I had a $27/hr base and OT was time and a half. I put in 1300 hours of OT over 189 days. Just remember that the more hours you put in the rougher it is on your body and your brain.

When you get on a ship you can either try and be a dick to everyone or just be chill and get along. I find its better to try and enjoy whatever you can since the situation is loving miserable anyways. Working with a lot of Filipinos and old guys you find common ground and figure out how to enjoy it. Most people just try to make the best of it but you still see some assholes.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

greenchair posted:

What happens if someone gets really sick? Do you worry about pirates or have weapons on board? What if someone goes nuts, is there any kind of jail or something? How much living space is there, just your room and cafeteria or are there a lot of common areas or a gym or anything? Is there internet and are there many access points? Do you think that more amenities for crew members would be worth it to a shipping company because it'd make it easier to hire workers (and maybe not have to pay them as much?)?

The 2nd mate or one of the other mates is usually designated as the medical officer and has some medical training. They are supplemented by the company/medical offices shoreside if they run into a situation they need help with. Basic medical is pretty routine, the complicated stuff that calls for an evac means the ship is diverted (see my picture post in this thread) and the person is evaced. Ships have a medical bay with equipment to deal with small wounds/illness/whatever. Dead bodies are tossed in the freezer.

The main pirate region at the moment is the Red Sea out into the Indian Ocean. Pirates look for slow moving ships with low free-board so they have an easier time getting on board. I went through the region 6 times. The ship I was on had very high free-board (the deck was very high off the water) and we did 26+ knots through so we were not an easy target. There were pirate attacks just about every time I was in the region with the USMC storming a ship with a Ukrainian crew and having to cut through a bulkhead into the focsle and shove an american flag through to convince them they werent pirates. US flagged vessels do not carry weapons (some MSC ships might) although the Alabama carries a private security team now and others might as well.

If people lose it mentally they can be locked in their stateroom or some such measure and put under guard before being put off at the next port.

My staterooms are usually pretty large. Most ships will have an officers area and a crew area, 2 separate messes, 2 separate lounges. Most people chill out in their staterooms and watch movies or read. Theres a decent amount of socialization. Gyms can be hit or miss. Most entertainment stuff is not paid for by the company but put together out of a crew fund that comes from different sources. Email is usually available but it might be restricted in size and only go out several times a day.

Noone is sailing for the amenities, the only thing that matters is the paycheck.

Sorry somethingawesomer, sailors can be pretty strange as it is and the women that get into it are usually not normal. If you take shortcuts you can put yourself in dangerous situations but many of them are manageable. Ive never been asked to put myself in a situation I thought was a danger to myself or others. Anytime I have had safety concerns they have been addressed.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

You're saying the men who get into it are normal?

Passengers ships: You have to wear a uniform and be nice to people, there's tons of office bullshit politics. Also, the pay sucks.

Ferry: Boooooo-riiiiiiiing. See also the comments on passengers ships.

Ro/Ro: Not common outside of Europe. Generally, Ro/RO are considered cargo vessels, btw.

There is one American flagged cruise ship that MEBA has. The pay is quite low but you work 8 months out of the year so you can get your group 1 card pretty fast which is pretty important.

Washington State Ferries are good jobs but they require certain courses for crowd control or something. Getting the required courses isnt that easy.

Sometimes you have to take the first job you can, sometimes you can wait for the money job or the ship you like or whatever.

I never said the men were normal. In an extremely masculine field with so many hosed up situations Ive found it takes a certain kind of female that wants to work in it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
AMO doesnt really use a union hall but most of the other unions do.

You go to the hall and register. You get a card stamped with the date you registered. As a new member you would be a group 3 or C card or something like that. At a certain time, 1200 or so for nationwide unions, the administrative people will post jobs on a board in the hall and people looking for work will put in their card. Group 1 or A members have priority and get first pick. If there are no cards or they dont want a job, it moves to group 2 or B or whatever. If there are still jobs then it moves to group 3. The oldest card of the group gets first pick and it works its way down to the newest. You need to make sure your paperwork is in order before looking for work though. Its important to get all your courses and medical and drug tests and union dues and whatever else you need done otherwise you will not be working. If all the jobs arent taken they are sent to the other halls and members there can take them.

There is also day/night work that goes out of the halls. Ships come in to port and either need people to work during the day, assisting with piston pulls, cleaning, doing whatever maintenance the crew cant handle or need someone to stand watch to cover for the ships engineers. The jobs are usually for 8 hours and pay the OT rate so you can make quite a bit of money but the downside is you are paid the same if you are working holidays or OT. If the ship is late or sails early you are still paid for your 8 hours. There are quite a few tricky technical details about that stuff in the contracts so thats basically the gist of it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

walrusman posted:

This thread has been a great read so far; thanks!

Out of curiosity, engineery-type guys:

What does the work of an engineer look like?
How do you spend your working time?
Do you have any technical education or experience beyond your respective academies, etc.?
What goes into the curriculum at those academies?

edit: I realized there might not be any specific engineer guys here, so if anyone else has information on this I'd love to hear it. Also more funny crewmember stories, and interesting ports/places you've been.

Engine department consists of the Chief Enginer, 1st A/E, 2nd A/E, 3rd A/E, an electrician, maybe a refrigeration tech and some kind of utility. Steam ships can vary with maybe another 3rd to stand watch and a couple more utilities.

The utility will take care of most of the cleaning and mundane tasks, turbo washes, clean filters, chip carbon on steam ships or assist an engineer with a task if needed.

The electrician takes care of all the electrical. Motors, breakers, elevators, rebuild contactors that were never supposed to be rebuilt with parts you dont have etc. They also assist with the reefers or take care of them if there is no reefer tech.

Reefer tech watches all the reefer boxes on the ship and takes care of the A/C and chill box aux. equipment.

Engineers: The chief is in charge and usually takes care of paperwork. They let the 1st know what needs to get done.

1st Engineer will direct everyone on maintenance and work with them. 2nd and 3rd usually get their own projects or assist in someone elses project.

On a diesel ship the focus is on maintenance. Diesel is dirty and needs tons of cleaning to burn. The 2nd usually spends most of his time cleaning the purifiers. Filters are pulled frequently as well and cleaned. Hourly maintenance on all equipment is performed, from the purifiers to the air compressors, diesel generators, main engine and whatever else. Ports also need to be prepped for, LO, FO and slops brought on or off, spare equipment, cleaners, whatever might be needed.

Once the routine stuff is done small projects that make your job easier or life a little nicer can be worked on to keep busy.

On a steam ship you get to spend 8 hours staring at gauges. The second 3rd leaves the 1st A/E free for any work that needs to be done.

AMO and MEBA both have technical schools and classes for their members. The AMO school is in Florida and the MEBA school is Calhoun. Engine manufactures and other vendors also provide courses.

The academic curriculum is fairly complete at the academies. I think I graduated with over 120 credits and I wasnt even an ME. You get all the general reqs, which are kind of glossed over since they arent important. The classes in my major went through steam and diesel plants, thermo, fluids, materials and the other theoretical stuff, day work which actually had us working on engines, the cruise portions (8 credits apiece I think it was), all the cadet type stuff you have to do (formation, watchstanding, uniforms) and the USCG exam at the end.

Thats a fair gist of it but I left a lot out so if you have more specific questions Ill be able to go into more detail.

Oh yeah, MFU and SUP have better payscales and union reps.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

walrusman posted:

Thanks for the replies, guys. To clarify where I'm coming from, I'm not looking for a fun diversion or gap year (god I hate that term) bullshit. I'm just sitting on an engineering degree that I can't seem to put to work, and I'm at a phase in my life with few connections and a thirst for -- yeah I'll go ahead and say it -- adventure. I have experience working in close quarters, I get along with everybody, and I find I really like a mix of manual labor and brainy poo poo. What's not to love about a high-demand field that pays you poo poo-heaps of money and then gives you several months off with which to enjoy it?

In reality my pursuit of this field will likely end at reading this thread, but in the meantime I appreciate you putting it up.

If you have any practical experience theres plenty of shoreside work. I get job offers from the local stationary engineers union all the time. The pay usually starts around $40/hr with a pension and solid benefits. You can also look through power companies, they are always looking for people to live in some miserable part of the country.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I dont know about the deck side but all my friends who worked in the gulf on rig supply vessels had nothing good and a lot of bad to say. The jobs are dirty, hot and miserable, I dont know anyone who has actually stayed with it for very long after graduation.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
When you get off a ship in a foreign country usually the visa or shorepass you are given restricts you to a 30 mile radius from the ship or something like that. Getting off a ship to go on vacation is not going to happen for most of the reasons that have been already listed. A lot of countries hate letting sailors in just to catch a ship.

Ive heard horror stories of people trying to get from the airport to the ship after layup in Singapore. Normally when you get in, customs comes on board and clears everyone and everything goes like clockwork. Within a few hours you are able to get off and do whatever (cant leave country). If you have to fly in you are escorted from the plane to the ship every step and not allowed to deviate. Karachi was even worse, Pakistan customs didnt even want to let us off and made all the unlicensed lock up their booze in the slop chest.

As a sailor you arent some tourist with a nice visa that lets you wander around and do whatever. Everything gets very tricky, very fast.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

AlphaDog posted:

I was advised by my psychiatrist that if I didn't disclose my condition in a job like that, and something bad happened, then I might be liable for damages. I believe they also perform a medical history check of some sort where you're required to disclose existing conditions, which would gently caress me. It nearly hosed me for an IT job at a transport company, because they disqualify truck drivers with serious mental illness and the stupid loving HR department couldn't understand that I would have nothing whatsoever to do with trucks, apart from maybe seeing one on my drive to work.

You need to disclose everything. In the US you are attesting to the fact that everything you say is true and if someone finds out otherwise you are hosed, its really not worth it. I am a type I diabetic and have a waiver allowing me to sail as an officer so most stuff can be worked around but not in your case.

Ugh union physical is the worst but I need to go back to work. Last one though.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 13, 2011

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

HandOverFist posted:

With a passport, twic, mmd, the safety/first aid course in hand in the US how easy is it to find work by applying for deck hand positions or would hiring a head hunter or joining a union be a better option?

With just an OS cert on your MMD it might not be easy. You could try looking through tug companies or large companies like MSC but most places are looking for AB's since there is not much OS work around. SUP will have some OS jobs as well.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Sadly, I'm American. I am guessing that makes it hopeless without 6 years of education or 60 years of experience, like every other job in this country.

Maritime academies are 4 year college programs that give you a degree and a license if you so desire. Its a pretty quick and cheap pathway to an easy 6 figures.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Two Finger posted:

4 years? Mine's only three...

But yeah, I agree, probably one of the quickest paths to earning 6 figures I can imagine. One year after this one for me!

My program was an ABET accredited engineering program in the US which means I got my 3rds, a degree and if I wanted I could have gone for my EIT and then PE. The returns on the PE would not have been worth it though. To fit all that in I completed around 120 units which pretty much means 10 months of 8-5 classes a year not including time spent on homework/studying and any extracurricular activities.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I would say a quarter of my class goes straight to a local shore job. The IUOE local rates here start around $30-$40/hr. To get those you have to be a little flexible. Some of my friends sailing out of Seattle can't come anywhere near that unless they go field service or something lovely. The degree just opens up more options which is always a good thing.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
90 day fly out to Japan. Oh God I'm not ready to work.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Ro/Ro going where-ever so I have no idea. Possibly between Japan/Korea for military cargo or something but thats just a guess.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

localized posted:

I heard from a friend that RoRos have some of the nicest crew accommodations. Confirm/deny?

From what Ive seen its just another ship, the accommodations can only get so nice. On a ship space that isnt used towards cargo is wasted space and a loss of money. There are some parts of the ship that cant be used for certain cargo types which is where the crew and engine goes. The more space available, the more things you can put in there but only if the company wants to pay for it.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Yeah the only Ro/Ro I've been on were grey hulls which are totally different.

All flights to Japan canceled due to a typhoon. At least I got most of my errands done and can relax instead of rushing around.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Finally, fly out to Nagoya tomorrow. I finally remembered what I had heard about this company, they like to keep people on as long as they can so they dont have to buy plane tickets from the states to Japan, business class at that. Ive also heard questionable things about the food but we will see. Im not too worried about the sea time since I need it for the union and my license upgrade. I did 6 months my last ship and as long as this ship is lower stress without an rear end in a top hat chief and 1st Ill be ok. I think I spent over $200 on snacks and half my duffel is filled with almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
International flights are all business class by contract. gently caress CD's thats what hard drive is for. Much smaller too.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

J Corp posted:

Signed on to a RoRo tramp ship a few hours ago, setting sail the morning after tomorrow.

SoCal, Guam, Korea, Okinawa, Japan, Mexico, Panama, East Coast.

See you loving NEVER.

Did you get the Green Dale or Wave?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
J Corp your ot rate is my penalty rate and I get 2 hours OT and 14 penalty on my duty night for sitting on my rear end. Unless you are already close going through the hawsepipe is a waste of time. Anything special you might learn over those years should be picked up by a new 3rd in his first 6 months. I know you are close and dont want to bring you down but anyone looking to get in should go to school if they figure out its something they can handle. The course load and workis brutal and all the academies have some sort of regimntation which drives a lot of people off so drop out rates are high. Engineers are all but garunteed to make 80k or more on graduation. Deck a little less. My expectedpay is 90k in 6 months work as a 3rd. I have no problems getting it.

Im on the Green Cove now, 42 days of drifting before we got cargo. We were out of food by the time we got back to Japan. The cook was making ramen noodle packets for breakfast.

Its not hard to sneak some booze back on the Bear. One of my friends dropped a 5th of rum on the quarterdeck getting back on board and just kept on walking. The mate on watch said he should have picked it up 1st. I was thinking about grabbing an lwo spot on there for kicks since the cruise this summer looked awesome but I would rather get paid.

shovelbum if you make it through you wont have a problem with work, just keep a good attitude and show up ready and willing to work and learn. Its not rocket science out here, more a be able to work with others because you cant get away from them thing. I think SUNY was just ranked in the top 5 schools for money and jobs. The other maritime schools have the same options but also some different majors that bring the averages down. You have nothing to feaar if you can make it.

Also steam is loving awesome. No dirty rear end diesel manifold to leak everywhere and be really loud. Just boil water all day.

Sorry for the post, Im on duty and only have my kindle for internet. 3 weeks to Hono then on to Mexico, Panama, Puerto Rico and Jacksonville where my 90 is up.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Been off for 3 weeks and its almost time to look for work again. I need another 50ish days this year. I realized I get a little weired and grumpy after about 100 days or so.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
What happened? Post pics.

FV NZ is pretty short on engineers currently right? Whats it take to get a job down there coming from the US? Any idea?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...o-1226164873611

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-15212641

I'm in Canada; I don't know what it takes to come here from the US; I've never met anyone who's done it. Isn't there something about how the US isn't a signatory to STCW or something like that that makes it more difficult for you guys? I think I heard that somewhere.

Sorry meant Two Fingers. All my STCW's are up to date as far as I know, I was under the impression that the USCG was fairly tough. Up until recently the exchange rate worked against mariners working foreign and living stateside but now Canada, Australia and I think even New Zealand are all looking pretty good and I wouldnt mind living in any of them, especially NZ.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Chevron still has tankers? I thought all the oil companies had gotten "out" of the transportation business after that one incident in Alaska...

Jones Act means companies need US flagged tankers. Polar is ConocoPhillips, SeaRiver I think is Exxon, Chevron has their own. Theres also ATC and OSG.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

PowerJew posted:

Yep, Chevron's fleet is in the 20's but that is international. US fleet consists of four product tankers bought from seabulk.

SeaRivers fleet consists of all of ATC's old steamers that have to last till at least '14 when the ships they just ordered will finally be built.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Fish Shalami posted:

Just sent off my paperwork to USCG to upgrade to my 2nd Engineers Motor and Steam, hopefully there are no hold-ups.

Thinking about dumping the union and getting into the drill ships for a little bit, those guys are pulling in some serious cash.

The 3rds are doing like 90k for 6 months or around the same as the union working 12s right?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

The newer boats that are being built in China have them, seeing as they're bulk carriers and have to be somewhat SOLAS compliant to be hauled over there. The newish tankers all have them, and so do those tiny new project cargo boats.

Lake boats per se aren't required to have lifeboats anymore, just life rafts and a rescue boat of some sort. The Canadian lakers you see with life boats are either deep sea boats that were repurposed as lakers, old ships from before that law got changed (Where they haven't removed the lifeboat for sentimental reasons, I guess?) or newer boats that were built in China.

I can't remember if thousand footers have life boats, but I think I've seen some American boats with them. The traditionnal kind, I mean, with gravity davits and all that.

Never actually been in a freefall being launched, the Captain of the only boat I've been on that had them chickened out every loving drill. I'm told it's quite fun. They're no longer woo-woo special technology by any sense of the word, anyway... I kinda like them as a concept, personally, but the only time I could see them being useful on the lakes is in the dead of winter... And even there, some people would argue that liferafts would have better insulation.

Personally I'd rather be in the solid shell with an engine.

I make it a point to never be in a life unless its in the water or locked in the cradle. Why would you ever want to voluntarily launch in one that poo poo is dangerous.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
There go the Horizon D-8s. Ugh, jobs.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Horizon is (most likely permanently) laying up its 5 D-8 class vessels because they are broke so less jobs to go around.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

shovelbum posted:

Also interested in hearing about breaking into the oil field jobs, what has been helpful in landing those for people? I'm just a scrub-rear end cadet so I figure better start asking this stuff early.

Last I heard Transocean hired 3rds out of school for the most part although sometimes they have listings on their site. Im betting PowerJew got in as a 2E through their site. I have another friend working for Maersk Drilling, he said internet applications are pretty much where its at, just try to get in and get experience wherever you can. Make sure you go to whatever job fairs your school has and pay attention to when companies come around for interviews. If you have a career center make friends with the people there and see if they can help. Otherwise your teachers might know people as well. If you have an interest in a particular company that doesnt recruit out of your school try to work with someone on campus to set up a contact/interview.

Companies like to hire right out of school for some reason, at least for 3rds, so sometimes it best to get your foot in the door early, set up contacts and maybe even see if they take cadets on as interns.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
US shipping companies:

Polar Tankers
SeaRiver Tankers
Chevron (MEBA but I believe they have right to hire)
Army Corps of Engineers
MSC (Government)

Unions:
MEBA
AMO

Rigs:
Transocean
Maersk Drilling

Field Service:
Solar Turbines
GE
Siemens
Local 39 International Union of Operating Engineers (California/Nevada)
Power Industries Consultants
NAES
Warstila
MAN

Ive heard of some tug&barge companies needing engineers that pay well. Thats a short list but I havent looked for a job in awhile.

• Locked thread