Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Hey, cool thread! I can't believe I never saw it before.

My mate is a Second Engineer (or whatever they call it now) on tankers and bulk carriers that mostly cruise the Australian coast. He loves his work, but he's going to have to take time off soon because his wife's pregnant with their first kid.

He has some loving great stories, especially about going to Japan and Malaysia. So you do sometimes get to leave the ship and have a bit of a holiday, even if it's not where you were expecting to go or for as long as you'd like.

I'd join up in a heartbeat (deck, not engineer), but I have a medical condition that prevents me from getting into the industry :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

^^^^ Have you checked with an actual marine medical examiner? You'd be surprised what you can get away with. poo poo, I had a Captain who was on like his third bypass.

Unless it's color blindness, then you're well and hosed. Even some form of diabete are acceptable, but you'd probably get restrictions... Rumour has it there was a chick with one arm who passed it.

Yeah, I checked. Since it's schizophrenia, it sort of disqualifies me from lots of jobs, especially ones where going beserk could kill people and destroy millions of dollars worth of equipment and cargo. Not that I'm going to go beserk, but the possibility's there, apparently.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Interesting, I didn't know that was a disqualifier. There's no psychiatric testing component here, just a long rear end form where you have to check every medical issues you've ever had. (Spoiler: You've never been sick and consume no more than six units of alcohol a week.)

I can see why it would be an issue, tho. Anything that requires someone to be on medication could become a serious headache really fast, really.

I was advised by my psychiatrist that if I didn't disclose my condition in a job like that, and something bad happened, then I might be liable for damages. I believe they also perform a medical history check of some sort where you're required to disclose existing conditions, which would gently caress me. It nearly hosed me for an IT job at a transport company, because they disqualify truck drivers with serious mental illness and the stupid loving HR department couldn't understand that I would have nothing whatsoever to do with trucks, apart from maybe seeing one on my drive to work.

• Locked thread