Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.
TMA Decky Grad checking in. I did my commercial cruise in the OSV industry, graduated a little over a year ago and have been working on the larger OSV/MPSV's in the Gulf since then. Fire away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.

Guliani is HOT posted:

Anyone here graduate from Texas Maritime Academy? That's probably where I would go. Has anyone here gone to any of the US maritime academies? What do you do, grab a degree and then join a union and just start applying for jobs?

I am seriously mulling this as a career for the next decade or so. I want to travel the world and do poo poo like hike the Appalachian Trail. Not that I think hanging around on a freighter is a good way to do that, but the high pay and contract-based employment seems like it would enable me to do that stuff in my off-time, and hopefully accumulate some decent savings as well so I can transition to an on-shore job later in my life. Thoughts? Will I be too worn out from working to do that sort of stuff?

How many months do you guys typically work in a year?
Whats the money really like for a licensed engineer/deck guy? Hearing "six figures" gets me all hot and bothered but is that really realistic?

I went to Texas Maritime, graduated in December 09 with a 3rd Mates License and a B.S. in Marine Transportation. Most of my friends who joined a Union out of school didn't go anywhere with it; they just ended up at the companies hiring in the Gulf.

In a year I work about six months (three weeks on/off), not including the various training classes I goto in my time off. As a decky working on a rig/drillship in the Gulf, I'm pulling about 130-140 a year, and that's for one of the lower paying drilling companies.

Pants, Grandpa! fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Aug 4, 2011

Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.
Yeah, I did my freshman and senior cruises on the Golden Bear, good times; absolute poo poo shows in every port we went to. I probably know a couple of the senior Texas students that were on there.

Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.
It wasn't perfect but it wasn't horrible either; when I was on there we basically rotated between doing

1. Deck work, maintenance, soundings, going into tanks, hands on training, etc
2. Navigational Watches, where seniors were constantly taking fixes/azimuths/weather/all that good stuff while teaching the freshmen who were basically lookouts, and
3. Classroom time, which you could do onshore so that was kind of a wash

We rotated between those about every five days and tried to do full celestial days everyday....it worked out alright.

Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.

FrozenVent posted:

Does that count toward your sea time, or is it on top of it? It sounds like a great way to do practical work in a structured environment (Vs the "enclosed space simulator" we had, aka the seamanship workshop's closet) but there's no cargo work involved, and you kind of miss out on the "time is money, get the gently caress moving" aspect.

Well, ok, that's not exactly a bad thing. All the US schools have training ships, don't they?

It counts as time and a half towards our sea time, so they're only two month cruises while our commercial cruise is three months.

And technically, I believe they all do, but I know for Texas we don't have enough money to fix up our ship to make it usable, so we sail with Cal. I also think, not entirely sure, that the guys over at Kings Point solely do cruises with companies; apparently they have a training ship but not the kind used for training cruises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pants, Grandpa!
Feb 2, 2005
Call Me The Mech Man.

PowerJew posted:

I just got hired on with Transocean one one of there drill ships in west africa. Couldn't be happier. The money is stupid good.

One of my friends just got hired on with Transocean....we worked at a different drilling company and the awesome/weird thing is that Transocean and the company I work for pay the same but are the lowest paying drilling contractors out there....and the money is still loving amazing. Nowhere to go but up in the oilfield.

• Locked thread