Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I'm currently studying to be an Engineer in Australia. So if anyone has any Aus related questions I'd be happy to try to help.

I've worked on Oil/Gas platforms for the last 5 years but wanted something with a bit more structured career path and a few more bits of paper with my name on it. There is basically no such thing as an ETO on Australian crewed vessels otherwise thats the position I'd be heading for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Their are only 7 engineering students in my intake. Well 9, but two are from the UAE and are already supported by NGSCO. Companies were talking to students in the first week. In comparison the deck class has 48.

I'm hoping to go straight into the offshore industry, where in Australia the standard swing is 5 weeks on 5 weeks off or the med swing 3on-3off-3on-6off (which I was use to from platforms).

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Whereabouts in Aus are you located man?

I'm at the maritime college in Launceston at the moment. Last year I lived in four states so I am use to moving around. For ease of work (and weather!) I'll probably base myself out of Perth again. Although I am Melbourne born and bred.

A bit more general discussion, whats the deal with unions? Should I be attempting to join one or avoid like the plague? The MUA is always in the news but I think only IR's can join, not officers etc.. Im also aware of the AMOU and AIMPE...

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Had my second of three Engineering Exams this morning, it basically consisted of:

*Forces in helical and double-helical (herringingbone) gearboxes.
*Stern tubes.
*Flow paths in water tube boilers.
*Survey requirements for (main 60 bar) boilers.

And a bit of other crap, was a lot easier then expected. Tomorrow is support systems and electrical.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Are you doing a steam ticket man? I haven't heard of a 60 bar boiler on a commercial diesel ship in a while.

Under the Australian system you can sit for your Steam qualification without having ever been on a steam powered vessel, so you get a Motor/Steam powered ticket. I am going to sit for both Motor/Steam but that is about a year off.

One of my lecturers is really passionate about steam, no matter what question you ask he will somehow relate it back to a steam powered ship. We joke that the crazy old dutchman must have a 60 bar coffee machine. After looking at pictures of a steam ships engine room, it looks like a nice clean quiet place to be!

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Yep generally everything is 440V. Shaft generators are generally rectified then inverted to keep them consistent. All 'domestic' power is off the same generator however its just one of the phases.

Some big self unloaders run a 11kV system as well.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Pulling up a large vessel takes a long time. In our case study we looked at a large bulky, with a 7 cylinder Warty'.

It takes about 2NM to go from 110 RPM to zero, remember your are talking directly coupled here and the forward movement keeps things turning.

~1NM to get setup for running astern.

Another 1-2 to stop. These things do not stop in a hurry.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I checked the maneuvering poster last night... Handy size bulker, CPP. Crash stop distance between .3 and .4 miles, depending on loading conditions.

Set your stop watch next time you want a FPP vessel to go astern, even stationary its a time consuming switch.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

tworavens posted:

I'm graduating school this month with an Associates Degree from a tech school in Electrical Technology which is basically a bunch of industrial electrical classes, some commercial, and residential with a healthy dose of the NEC. Is there a school or apprenticeship program for becoming a marine electrician? I'm perfectly willing to spend money on classes provided I can do it while working or on some distance learning program.

I don't know about the US, but the rest of world has pretty much scrapped the Marine Electrician/Electro Technical Officer (ETO) Role. So basically if you want to do Electrical stuff on ships, you are going to have to work for a living and get dirty and just be a Engineer.

And spend 8 hours a day cleaning purifiers.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

This is weird. I just joined an FPSO off the NW Australian coast, it's my first time on this sort of ship. I'm not called the Chief Mate, instead it's POT S&O (Production Operations Technician Storage and Offtake), the marine department doesn't run the show, the Captain and I spent the day on deck changing an I.G. valve, nobody is allowed on the bridge (including myself, I think) and the safety culture is bananas.

I am not allowed to carry a deck knife until I complete a module of computer based training. And really I'm not even allowed to carry one then because I'm not a rating/OS/AB (they're not called that, they're called General Operations somethings).

But they're paying me $1200 a day so I'll just keep my opinions to myself.

I actually like the way we do things here in Australia. Yes sometimes the HSE (Health, Safety and Environment) Procedures are over the top, but we have some of the lowest LTI (Lost time injury) rates in the world of Oil/Gas.

The Old Man is not in charge overall, the OIM (Offshore Installation Manager) is. Also becuase they aren't steaming, you get a 50% reduction in recorded time served at sea. So they suck for cadets.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

localized posted:

What do you engineers use for hearing protection in the engine room? I need to pick up a headset for my training cruise this spring, so any input would be much obliged.

I love my Howard Leight L2N's. They are class five and really comfy. The neckband is better then the over the head type I find.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I'm on a 255m bulk carrier, that is coal powered! One of only two in the world. Pics to come, any questions ask away.

No we don't have to shovel the coal.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

StopShootingMe posted:

Gladstone - Weipa run?

Yeah boy!

Sorry for the delay,

Well since you guys are good seafaring folk, I'll go one better then pics and upload a documentary filmed at the time of construction! Excuse the lovely quality and quiet audio, its from a 1983 VHS.

Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Anb43yp98J0
Part 2: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55s2OikWLhw

The two vessels (sisters) are the River Boyne and the River Embley. They carry bauxite from Weipa to Gladstone (then return in ballast) in Queensland, Australia.

All coal handling is pneumatic and ash handling is vacuum and fairly unreliable. If it worked well, us engineers would almost be out of a job because everything else is rock solid.

Coal capacity is 3300 tonnes and we burn about 200 a day.

The control room doesn't really look like that anymore, its all touch screen interfaces to siemens PLCs.

Mitsubishi thought they were going to change the world with these ships, then they didn't sell any more. They probably lost money with all the R&D involved.

Anyways back to work, cleaning inside a condenser. Found a sea snake in there!

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Hahaha, what in the gently caress?
When you say condensor do you mean A/C condensor or what?

Nah steam condenser mate, its split in two so you can run on half at light boiler load and clean the other side. It's usually done every six months or so.

It's sea water cooled so you get a lot of hard growth (gooseneck barnacles) as well as fire weed and poo poo.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

How bad is it/old is the ship again? Do you need sawdust or anything? Although since its split it should be easier to plug leaks I guess.

Its in good nick, shes 1982 vintage but built well. Must be Yorcalbro or something.

Of the 1000+ plus tubes (guessing) about about 4 or 5 are plugged.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

I justgot around to watching this. Ok, the first half of it, you can only watch so many "The Building of the MV X..." videos before they all turn into the same thing.

16 kts is hella fast for a bulker, we trudge around at 12 knots or so all over the lakes... Maybe 14 on a good day with a good day. That whole pneumatic thing sounds like a gigantic pain in the rear end to maintain, tho. Do you know what the consumption would be for 12 kts?

That coal handling system is pretty cool, but at 200 tons a day, I can see why it didn't catch on... Most of the boats I've been on burn about 30 a day, every ton of fuel you have to carry is a ton of cargo you can't load... And nobody pays you to carry fuel!

Kind of surprised those boats got assigned to a bauxite run... On a coal run, I can see the whole coal-burning thing being the perfect thing.

The official service speed is 16 kts, we probably average 13-14 as we have to navigate the great barrier reef.

Coal makes sense in a couple of ways, Australia has a poo poo load of it. The port of Gladstone is a big coal hub so its always available and the same company that wants the bauxite exports the coal so economically it works for them.

I don't know what would be a comparable HFO consumption to be honest.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I'm on a BP Virtue class tanker at the moment, pretty nice but is tender and rolls a lot.

It's super clean, the only vessel I have been on where you wipe the soles of your boots (often) as to not leave oily prints in the engine room.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

The 8-12 is the best watch if you have a Captain / Chief Engineer who leaves you the gently caress alone, otherwise the 12-4 is the least lovely watch.

Chief Mate you mean? The only time the Cheng speaks to anyone on the deck side is in the duty mess at meal times. At least on my ship.

Although we run a extra 3rd so the mate doesn't stand a watch, unless were loading/discharging he spends his days drinking coffee and sending the deck cadet down tanks.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

aqae posted:

I'm an integrated rating in the Australian industry. Currently floating around off the coast of Indonesia doing seismic surveying. Nearly 4 weeks into the 5 week swing (posting to you from the engine control room!)

Cool to find this thread...

I've got my TAGS books to do the mates (2nd) understudy but can't see myself in the industry forever and am kinda afraid of the commitment, plus I like a lot of the hands on stuff and variety that we do on deck (not saying it isn't done by mates) but eh, what can I say... sucker for responsibility.

Met some very cool people, this is the first ship I've sailed on with a largely foreign crew + client compliment. Ukrainian skipper and engineers, phillipinos, heap of british in the seismic dept... gotta say though... this ship has seen better days. Absolute hunk of shite. Stores was a nightmare when we picked the thing up in Bali, barely any food, and what was left was either rotten or had weevels. Made me appreciate my Aussie vessels!

add: Since I started in this game I always wanted to get on the anchor handlers. This is my first stint offshore. Gotta say seismic is pretty slow. and boring as hell. I'm hoping this mob will give me a stint on one of their clankers... the money is magic here (cabin share allowance, too ha)

Are anchor handlers really all they're made up to be? They sound like the kinda stuff I really wanna be doing. High intensity, hands on badass stuff. My other option is with an Antarctic supply vessel and they're offering me a permanent job but it's quite a considerably paycut from the offshore... but the other plus is they're laid up though winter in the port where I plan on moving in the next year or so... so... money or lifestyle?

Chase the coin. 'Lifestyle' happens in your time off.

I've heard the Australis is a bit of a poo poo box and P&O are pricks to work for. I'd hit up Farstad/GO Marine/Mermaid/Svitzer etc. and go straight to the north west shelf.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

I think you need to understand this is a very, very lonely way of life. It is not a coincidence marine engineers have the highest suicide rate of ANY career - I believe it is over triple that of the average.

I don't think this is at all true, infact I don't think we are even in the top ten (morbid as it is).

Although we are miserable bastards and sit around the smoko room staring of into space hoping something crazy happens so we don't have to walk back down the pit and clean purifier discs.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

nwin posted:

Any of you guys sail on oil/chemical/gas carrier tankships?

Im an engineer on a 49000dwt products tanker.

Its pretty good, as a third you get about $140,000AUD and work 6 weeks on 6 off.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

I'm going to follow you around the forums emptyquoting this from now on.

gently caress
This is seriously the worst thing ever

Kinetic Rim Gun's are your friend.

Edit: Request thread title change to "Which smart c**t flushed hand towel?"

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

Modern steam turbines are much more efficient nowadays so I would expect to see more of that instead of two stroke but we will see. I know they have been looking at conversions but I have no idea when or even if anyone is going to move on this. I know the new standards are costing companies over $1kk in fuel a trip. APL and Matson sail to LA or Oakland and then sail up or down the coast to the other port and dont leave the 200MEEZ.

Even super modern 3 stage ( HP, IP, LP) 100 bar systems with reheaters are not as efficient as a dirty old slow speed two stroke. The only way they work is with bonus fuel like boil off gas in gas buggies. Heavy fuel is STILL too cheap to be going anywhere soon.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Grey Skies posted:

Edit: Can any Australian seagoons tell me how/where you find merchant mariner jobs in this country? I'm not 'qualified' so to speak (I'm currently in a similar role as a 'deck officer' in the Navy) but was curious as to what job prospects are like over here. I take it all the pathways to qualification go through AMSA? I've had a read of the information they have on the website but have no idea where to go to look for cadetships and actual jobs after qualification.

Job aspects and pay are good, you are correct in that all accreditation is done through AMSA. They have a Navy bridging program I think?

After you have your ticket, you just have to ring companies and ask for jobs. There isn't really a national database or anything like that. Its the same as getting any other job. You see positions advertised on normal job websites like Seek etc.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

He did say budget of $60 though, and they tend to be around $100.

Depending on where he's working he made need an IS model as well.

Just aside, don't your companies provide this stuff?

When I started as a cadet I was told to just grab a new Bahco wide mouth shifter, an IS Pelican LED torch and a non contact voltage tester from the store. The only thing I carry that wasn't provided is my Leatherman.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

Pay cut wouldn't actually be that gigantic, pull in 100-120 or so.

I'm sure you've thought about it. But you save so much coin at sea by not commuting, not feeding yourself etc. for half the year.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

Well, that's it. I'm now a Class 3 Marine Engineer.

We need a new cadet.

Well done!

What were your orals like?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
No real good pics of the ECR, few quirky ones.

Oh no!

The famous DevCon cock 'n balls. Will probably outlive the ship!

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Trench_Rat posted:

is it a babcock boiler?

She had MHI licensed copy of a Combustion Eng. design. Two 60 bar boilers. I say had because she is Bangladeshi cooking pots now.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

FrozenVent posted:

Did someone save the boiler dick?

I think it was created just to give the poor guys chopping her up a laugh.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

I keep turning down shoreside jobs starting at 100k with built in overtime plus more OT pushing it to 120+ starting with increases once you qualify etc etc. I'm dumb.

As it the leave keeping you at sea?

Personally I wouldn't trade working 6 weeks on 6 weeks off for the same money on the beach... Working four times a year is great!

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

lightpole posted:

Motor? What the gently caress is that poo poo where's steam and gas turbine?

Double barrel tickets aren't super common these days, but (in Aus at least) you can sit your Steam Endorsement with no steam time. It's 16 weeks on each form of propulsion for a dual ticket.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I'm still an eng cadet...

I'm doing my college all the way up to Chiefs in one go. Which in Aus is now a degree also.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

shovelbum posted:

Wait you just walk out of school as an unlimited Chief? What?

Nah you have just done all your theory.

The basic 10 steps are:

1. Pre-Sea Course at college.
2. Go away to sea do 9 months as a cadet.
3. Do Watch keepers College.
4. Do Seconds and Chiefs College.
5. Sit orals for Watch keeper. You must have done 36 months of college or have an approved trade.
6. Sail as a Watch keeper get 15 months sea time.
7. Sit orals for Class 2.
8. Sail as a deucer get 15 months sea time.
9. Sit orals for Class 1/Chiefs.
10. Sail as chief. Get $$$.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Fish Shalami posted:

So how many sea days or years experience do you have between starting and walking out with a Chief ticket? I really wouldn't feel comfortable sailing chief without at least 10-15 years sailing experience, not to sound overly pessimistic, but there are too many things that can go wrong out there and usually do.

No one would give you a job sailing as chief without 10-15 years experience. The above is just for the ticket.

In fact I think BP Require 6 years sea time as a deucer on a tanker before you can sail as chief on one.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Who's hanging out for the 'Captain Phillips' movie?

Why do radars in movies always go ping ping ping ping?

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Two Finger posted:

I might be wrong, but it seems like American sea training is almost... quasi-military or something. It's weird as hell to me. All this talk of regimental and uniforms and poo poo...

Does seem very different to my Aussie training. I'm an Engineer but the only time I saw a fub in uniform was greeting a pilot at the ladder.

Although the Customs guys at my college wear uniforms to class.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
I don't know what the situation is like in the UK, but in Aus the degree/diploma stuff is all bullshit until you come ashore.

The only thing you need is that certificate of competency from AMSA. Or MCA in your case. If you are going to stay at sea for while, I would just get the tickets and the sea time and worry about further academic qualifications when you need to.

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005

Trench_Rat posted:

I've been geeking out lately on marinetraffic.com and seen alot of UK flagged tankers operating both in the north-sea and international. Are these ship UK crewed or is there some sort of "international" (filipinos and eastern europeans) UK flag and domestic UK flag

The flag state has more to do with ships owner, not the nationality of the crew. For instance the two BP tankers that service the Aussie coast are UK flagged but fully Aussie crewed. As are the Rio Tinto ships.

There may be two UK registries divided by the type of vessel and the trade however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pazrs
Mar 27, 2005
Been studying the theory and process of Main Engine Crankshaft deflections. College is a putting a far larger emphasis on it then I expected. Which usually means its a common point of failure when you go for orals.

How to deal with an unknown boiler water level was the biggest failure point I think. On donkey boilers at least.

Trip the loving thing!

• Locked thread