Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
MSC Second mate here, about to resign and look for something else. Tired of being away for 4-5 months and not know when I am getting off as the office has no people. The pay is great (about 15K/month) but it is murder on your family/social life. Do a few years and find a normal job. I may stay at sea, but not for 8-9 months a year. I can answer deck/navigation questions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
As a 2nd mate I want to add that a ship within 300 m of land anywhere should either be at dead slow ahead or anchored. Not to mention with a pilot and someone taking visual fixes. This is basic voyage planning stuff and SMS stuff. There are very few exceptions to this.

Some news site was saying that a former crew member lives in the town and the ship may have been planning a close pass by as some sort of homage.

• Locked thread