Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Two Finger posted:

They give you a combined ticket straight off the mark? Wow, that's different.

USMMA engine side have to get all three, it's mandated by law I think.

Frozenvent which self unloader is that in your photos?

edit: Stratafyre, NCB (http://www.natcargo.org/) is almost always looking for mariners to be marine surveyors somewhere in the country. Doesn't pay like sailing, but the benefits are great. That's too bad about OSG, A couple of my class mates work there.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 14, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I'm not too keen on getting Internet-detectived. It's a Canadian self unloader.

They're all pretty similar, really.

I know it's a Canadian self unloader. I've boarded it to do draft surveys (I've done drafts on all the self unloading lakers both Canadian and US). I just can't remember which one it is by sight, it's been a few years since I transferred away from Chicago to other ports. I think I know which one it is anyway. Hell, If you were sailing on the lakes between 05-08, I may have even boarded ships you were on. If you've been to Beemsterboer, KCBX, DTE, or US Steel in Gary, at the very least one of my coworkers had been on your ship. I won't pry anymore.

Fish Shalami posted:

Did you go to KP? What year/company were you?

So this shoreside job I took in the Silicon Valley has me doing Deckie nonsense driving little surfboard robots around the ocean dodging the same ships I used to work on. I don't think they realized when they hired me that when I said I work on ships, that doesn't mean I drove them :cripes:

05, 3rd. I'm in sort of the same situation, as an engineer doing a job they like to have retired C/Os and Captains for. Seriously marine engineers can do just about anything once they get out of school.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 28, 2012

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Did you or your co-worker wear an Exxon Valdez jacket and look for stone dust in the hold, or did you wear a yellow jacket and look for concrete in the cargo?

(I can't remember the company names, I think the cargo surveyor was SGS)

SGS would have been doing the cargo sampling, most of them aren't mariners. We probably would have done the hold cleanliness and draft. So probably the guy looking for stone dust in the hold. It's probably my co-worker, I know he sailed on tankers up in Alaska. I don't think he was ever on the Valdez, but I'm pretty sure he was on the Exxon tankers.

If it were me, I probably would have been in a military green knee length float coat looking vaguely like a bearded hobo. I did a lot of surveys in very bad areas (lovely barge work in scrap yards) when I was in Chicago and preferred to dress in a way that no body bothered me. Iron ore and coal dust go a long way towards keeping people from loving with a car too.

Fish Shalami posted:

I know a bunch of '05 guys down in Charleston, lived with one for a little while when I was shipping out of the hall there. My brother was 02 4th co, he's also on the forums here somewhere.

I've run in far more KP guys on SA than I would expect.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Never made it ashore at KCBX or Beemsterboer, but it does look like a pretty bad area, from what I've seen and heard.

You didn't miss anything. Calumet City is pretty depressed. About the only cool thing in the area is this bridge which you'd see going under it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTOg4aYGtdY There is also kickass smoked fish shack sort of half on the bridge worth going to slightly visible in the video.
http://www.calumetfisheries.com/

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fish Shalami posted:

It's about 6 pages - mostly reiterating obligation to MARAD and that they have and will pursue legal actions against those who are non-compliant. Reads like an underhand threat. All graduates from 2007-2013 should have received one.

They did that in 2012 for the 2011 reporting year to my class (05). Even active duty Army/Marine guys in Iraq / Afghanistan got letter saying we're going to gently caress you up and make you pay 250,000 $. Minor MSCS web site stuff (forgeting say one field in the form for in year). Pay no mind our MARAD commitment was technically over as per the contract. There ended up being an apology from the Maritime Administrator. Even more awesome no one could get through to MARAD to find out what was going on for like a month. Talk to the alumni if poo poo is ridiculous. They can get results like this:

"I understand that some graduates thought that the letter was accusing them of failing to meet their service requirements – that was not the intent. The letter was to remind the graduates that they not only have to fulfill their service requirements, they also have to report them, so we have a record that they have done so. We will revise the letter so that point is clear when we send it out again in future years.'

I'm glad I'm done with MARAD and the Navy. They are transitioning to a lets gently caress poo poo up attitude. SSIRRG stuff is getting really bad, anyone shoreside not living near a navy NOSC is hosed right now. Have fun driving to the multiple PFAs and a physical every year.

Best part for my class was, people who did nothing, absolutely nothing, no reporting, no maritime job, no navy ADT, didn't get the letter. Mostly people with minor paperwork issues, got it. Seriously though have your poo poo in order if you're a recent grad. Oh and navy ADT every year sucks find a classmate to do it with, it's a thousand times better with friends.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 13, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shovelbum posted:

Why would someone put up with 4 years of what I hear KP is like just to turn around and avoid the maritime industry and the Navy as hard as they can?

KP isn't that bad, and personally I really miss having Manhattan that close.

Some people are just lazy. I have class mates who sailed who just didn't bother to report. Also the navy stuff is a pain in the rear end, they don't really tell you what to do and then they change the rules on you all the time. Don't get me started on order writing or trying to get paid afterwards. Every time they change something some people just fall off (CAC cards dropped a lot of my class mates as an example) Some people just get frustrated with it and go "gently caress this poo poo". They are often still very pro maritime and maritime employed.

Edit:
And there are some people who goto KP because of their families and really just want nothing to do with maritime.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jan 13, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

I am really bitter. Don't be afraid to tell someone to gently caress off with an offer even if it sounds ok cause you need the money. There will always be other jobs.

Best advice I was given. Have a "gently caress off" fund. Save enough money (and keep it liquid) that you are comfortable enough at anytime to tell an employer to gently caress off.

And Fish Shalami, I think the shore-side waiver thing is (and has been forever) broken anyway. I went shore-side and submitted a waiver letter when I graduated and then never heard anything. Also you don't have to submit on the website. You can print out the annual report form, fill it out, and scan it in and email to what ever the current Maritime.Graduate@dot.gov address is (edit: I also faxed and physically mailed a copy (signature confirmation), because gently caress them saying they didn't get it). There was a phone number I called too (202) 366-5737. Basically they have a database that flags discrepancies. I called them up they let me know what those were and we just cleared out all my flagged discrepancies. I just told them the information over the phone. You'd have to weigh if you think you can clear everything out vs just lay low for however long you have left commitment wise.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jan 15, 2014

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fish Shalami posted:

2014 is my last year to report

This depends on who you ask, btw. I'm 05. I have an email from Capt Albert where he told me this: "Yes you will need to submit reports for 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016." I had a very long conversation with him about that on the phone, I pointed out out my obligation to MARAD was over in 2011, to the navy in 2013 etc. What they argued back to me was you need to submit until the year after you're out of the navy, they extend the MARAD reporting requirement as applying to the navy years.

Personally I don't think they have a leg to stand on there if poo poo got serious. That's not at all what the MARAD contract says (is what the lawyer I asked said). Basically I got told to do it anyway unless I wanted to deal with another bullshit letter. I did one last year because of that. Several of my class mates didn't and did not hear anything back about it. I don't know if I will this year.

So they could still gently caress with you, I got that letter in 2012.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Fish Shalami posted:

Sounds like you've done more investigating into this than most. Yea the contract I signed says 5 years reporting to MARAD, not 8. I think you are well clear, they explicitly stated in the most recent nasty-gram that they were most concerned with 2007-2013 grads.

I would not even be talking about this stuff on SA if I didn't think I was well clear. Mostly I've just gotten in the habit of being all "how are they going to gently caress with me this year?"

And they kind-of hosed it up when they went after my class. But that's bad for you guys (unless they just make the same mistakes again)

Yeah what ends up happening is a bunch of classmates start talking about their problems with MARAD / the navy then one guy is sort of pushed into making all the phone calls/emails to find out what needs to be done, so he can then email it to the others. It tends to be the person who is the least hosed up as far as having things in order goes. That person can ask questions for the really hosed up people(without giving names), so they can figure out what to do without drawing unnecessary attention to themselves. I ended up as that person for the group of people I stay in touch with.

Just be careful (and it's sounds like you are being careful so this is more for other grads that might be lurking). In one of those conversations I got told that they considered a failure to do the eight year navy stuff a MARAD commitment breach even if it was after the five years specified in the MARAD contract. I also spent a lot of time talking to the navy asking questions (specifically to LCDR Cassano) He's not a bad guy, but I'm pretty sure he's got a spread sheet or some sort of database to keep track of who is compliant with the various SSRG requirements. And I think there is a schedule to go about separating people who are not complaint for too long. And I'm pretty sure he's sends all that information to MARAD.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's also a good idea to take (and ideally pass) the FE if one goes the BEng route. I think sailing time can count towards the time needed to sit for a naval architecture PE.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Total deck side automation could be more problematic than it's worth depending on the vessel type. The crews on bulk carriers are already very often too small to get the holds ready in time for loading as it is. Especially with cargoes like kaolin or grain. What might go away with automation is watch-standing on both sides of the house.

I board those Atlantic Ro-ro vessels occasionally. I'm pretty sure I've done BB load surveys on that one.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Where do you all go for STCW and firefighting renewal?

I'd only ever gone to GMATS and that's not around any more

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

Had a USCG CoI today. I get to sit in the control room on watch for all the drills thankfully. Everything went well till the EDG test. The #1 FO circ pump wrecked itself two days ago and the 1st was a little more focused on his relief than it. The #2 is apparently on the emergency bus as found out today when we blacked out the plant. The EDG won't automatically go online unless someone removes and replaces a fuse in its control circuit as well.

USCG was not as amused as I was and said that the #1 FO circ was a no sail item.

I had a vessel have it's EDG die during a flag state inspection I was doing once, that day could have been worse. That EDG fuse thing should be a no sail too, I'd think. I've seen them detain for similar issues during port states.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

I still can't believe that radio operators are still a thing in the age of GMDSS and V-Sat.

Sounds cake as gently caress. I'd be all over that if I had US papers.

Mostly they just read everyone's email.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Heard one Hanjin ship got seized in Singapore.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Some flag States put their flag state inspections online. You can check out some of the cruise vessels this way. Most flag states are loath to detain a cruise vessel because of all of the people involved you ruined a lot of vacations if you don't let the ship sail. But for the flags that you can find the reports for online the deficiencies will give you a good idea of how lovely the vessel is. Personally I won't take a cruise ever.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

There are a lot of cartons of cigarettes on a cruise ship.

Most of the better flags do "quality assurance boardings" to follow up on port state inspections where most that type of stuff happens or when they think they have a crappy flag inspector working for them.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Ooh a new place to look for common class A deficiencies. I've also boarded some of those vessels before for break bulk and bulk cargo work.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm hearing rough news from other smaller container lines, grumblings about the big lines (maersk, msc, etc) artificaly keeping rates low to drove the smaller lines out of business.

It's more over capacity as a root cause but this type of talk usually precedes coming bad news.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

So 10 ZIM vessels are now bank owned. They are still ZIM chartered for now.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm glad that happened cruise ship engine rooms range from from adequate to holy gently caress really. That might shake up the culture.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

When something like this happens port state gets real aggressive about looking for it everywhere. They were already pretty serious about OWS and magic pipes.

Edit: I've seen permanently installed buckets to catch leaking fuel oil dripping over electrical cabling in cruise ship engine rooms. Oily rags jammed into crevices all over the generators type stuff. Anything that puts more attention on it is good.

Bar Ran Dun fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Dec 2, 2016

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FrozenVent posted:

Quick, what do you answer when someone from the office asks "so do ships ever hit whales?"

Usually it's already dead from other causes whales.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Don't read that transcript in public.

I'm crying in a goddamn Denny's parking lot.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm going to drink a tsingtao for Smiley tonight. The hard drinking, hard whoring, Yemeni DEU on my first ship as a cadet 15 years ago.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

El Faro updates:

http://www.professionalmariner.com/Web-Bulletin-2017/Cargo-shift-probable-during-El-Faros-final-voyage/

http://www.professionalmariner.com/Web-Bulletin-2017/TOTE-El-Faro-cargo-report-done-in-factual-vaccuum/

The important part is "not in accordance with the vessels cargo securing manual"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

It's still a good way to get to places that are otherwise hard to get to as an American. Outside of that, just fly.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

shovelbum posted:

The only people with enough time off to travel by ship are already doing it for a living anyway, yeah

I know a lot of retirees. They want to go a place and don't give a gently caress. One couple went to Iran that way.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Yeah they put the producer at the berth the Lurline was at, it ain't going anywhere. Kauai will be running until the Manoa gets going again.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

The port engineer calls it warehouse P for the Consumer. Consumer should be laid up in Seattle where the Lurline was, Producer is in Tacoma. Not sure why they did it that way since they have free power in Tacoma and it would be much easier to break out and lay up the Consumer there but oh well.

You're right I mixed them up, drive by it every day too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

It's all different terminals Matson owns that they don't really use for cargo so they can do whatever they want. The container yard in Seattle where they have a ship sitting they store random boxes, some full of spare parts, some empty etc. It's a bit confusing as they just purchased the AK operations of a rival line and now have two different terminals in the Sound and should probably consolidate operations.

They own a stake in SSA, that's why don't use T-25 anymore. As for consolidation horizon in Tacoma was run really differently...

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

That's Pascha, not Matson so it's not related. The containers are probably spare parts or something like that. Not sure if it has a yard period or something or what the deal is, that's usually out of LA and doesn't generally come to the bay. 30 is generally a lay up place but can also be emergency repairs. I can ask around tomorrow unless BrandorKP knows more.

Don't know about the sfo area.

I do know a bunch of changes are coming 1 April as the new alliance starts up, it's going to shuffle all the who goes to what terminal stuff up. Matson up here probably moving over to t30

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I had a color blind classmate at usmma. They noticed junior year (he'd manage to fake it prior to that physical). He managed to graduate. Edit he was deck side too.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

http://www.marinelink.com/news/tacoma-could-exit423893

Something going on with the Alaska service, they are letting the contract with the terminal expire. Nobody really knows anything that I've asked.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

lightpole posted:

Probably just do everything out of Seattle, they have plenty of room up there and the C9s pull in there. Saves 6+ hours per trip as well.

Not so much room anymore t18 just picked up three of the THE Alliance services that are leaving W.U.T. Matson is already getting bumped back over to the other side .

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Maybe they want to start over on the shore side of things for the service, instead of having what the inherited from horizon?

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

There are many things I cannot say, but yeah basically.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Most people skip the EIT because it's usually around the same time as license. For anyone still in school, don't. Take the EIT, you'll be glad you did. I'm glad I did.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I do 60 to 80 regularly :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

I'm in grad school while doing 60-80 :(

• Locked thread