Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Trench_Rat posted:

Unfortuanly there are no more dedicated maritme colleges in this country anymore. So we have to work out our cadet placements on our own.

We got a few Norwegians running around down here in Svendborg, Denmark. Did you ever consider going that route?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Yeah, the marine engineer's union in Denmark have about 70% of their members working ashore. Aside from power stations they also work in places like hospitals with a lot of HVAC and electrics.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

drug and alcohol search by the Captain (Long story)

Sounds interesting.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, it seems that Maersk's love affair with the dual officer concept is over. Apparently the times call for more specialization.

I'm supposed to graduate this summer and I can't say I'm too broken up about not going to work as a dual; my heart was always in the bridge side of things although it was fun being in the engine room too. Sure, I've spent quite a bit of time at school, but I suppose in the end I'll have a more holistic view of the ship.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I may be mistaken, but doesn't the new STCW have Electrical Officers or something?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Reportedly the gash is over 50 meters long. I can't wait to find out how fast they were going.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

sharkytm posted:

They had rolled far enough that half the lifeboats weren't launchable,

Are cruise ships like cargo ships, in that all people on board has to be able to fit in the lifeboats on one side only?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Mercury Ballistic posted:

As a 2nd mate I want to add that a ship within 300 m of land anywhere should either be at dead slow ahead or anchored.

I was on a blacked out tanker that drifted past a small island with a CPA of 0.25 nm and I was making GBS threads my pants. To willingly go even closer than that... crazy.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
2 days ago an 82 m coaster was headed south on Route T towards the Great Belt in Denmark. The VTS noticed that it was off course and notified the Navy. The coaster didn't respond on VHF, nor were dispatched ships able to communicate with it. The ship went across a shallow bank at Sjællands Odde without grounding and was headed right into a coastline. When it was 4.8 nm away from the coast Navy personnel were lowered to the ship by helicopter and turned the ship around. This was around midnight and the morning after (on the 17th) they took a blood sample from the captain; he had an BAC of 0.218% and is now in jail.

Here's a map with the ship's course. http://forsvaret.dk/SOK/Nyt%20og%20Presse/nationalt/Pages/Skibp%C3%A5sk%C3%A6vkursstoppetefteromfattendeindsats.aspx

This is far from the first time drunk Russian captains have mistaken Danish islands for deep waters.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Two Finger posted:

Wait, what?
The morning AFTER his BAC was .218? Isn't the legal limit for driving .08?
Shouldn't he be, uh, dead?

.05 here. I don't think most people start dying before ~.40, but yeah, he was really drunk.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Serf posted:

Anyone out there know if I've got a shot?

I am not a doctor, but at least in the Danish rules there is nothing specific about amputations. It would be up to your examining doctor to evaluate whether your condition poses a possible threat to you and the other crew in emergencies (and it sounds to this layman like it doesn't).

Anecdotally, I once had a chief officer whose entire left arm was paralyzed. I was too polite to ask where he had gotten his medical checkup.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

(I'm an accident report junky)

Let's post interesting accident reports!

Here's one about a fire on a container ship. Will teamwork overcome the blaze... and what exactly was the cause of fire?! :ohdear:

http://www.dmaib.dk/Ulykkesrapporter/CHARLOTTE_MAERSK_FIRE_07072010.pdf

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

Ever wondered what happens when a gas carrier has a spill?

Ah, the old "overriding alarms" trick. Sometimes I fear I will fall prey to that someday.

Good thing the gas vapour was visible.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
(I'm going to assume you guys are Americans) Aren't you pretty protected job-wise by the Jones Act?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

FrozenVent posted:

I would like to confirm that advanced marine first aid doesn't get any more interesting the third time. Transport Canada now wants four days of instruction, but there's the same amount of material so...

Sorry to hear that. We just had our third time too, and this was the one with injections and poo poo. One guy nearly fainted.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, I finally graduated.

Maersk Supply Service, here I come!

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Thanks! They haven't said yet, I guess they wanted to make sure I passed all the exams first, but I get paid from July 6th.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Any goons working out of Aberdeen at the moment? The weather is crazy nice today, so I'm not regretting not requesting a transfer to more southern climes. Bet I'll change my tune when the autumn storms come though.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Trench_Rat posted:

I might go on a spot marked PSV in Aberdeen just waiting for confirmation from the office

I'm on a contracted PSV. Gets kind of boring going back and forth to the same platform, although they did just break up the routine by sending us to get mud in Peterhead. SO exciting...

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

lightpole posted:

But school is not fun

Can you expand on this? I didn't go to school in the US so I don't know what that is like, but mine seemed a very normal school experience.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Can anyone explain to a non-American what exactly the role of your unions (within the maritime industry) in the US are? From this thread it seems they are very involved in pretty much everything regarding your job.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Are there any goons down in Angola these days? We might be going there this summer, was wondering what it is like if/when you go ashore.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

shovelbum posted:

Day 20something on the Lakes. I miss my deep sea cadet time!

Is it true that on the lakes you don't say port/starboard but just left/right?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, it finally happened; I've started having dreams about the job. :argh: Dreamt that someone tried to blame me for hitting a quay even though I wasn't on watch at the time.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Ugh, annual classification survey coming up tomorrow. And I was so close to signing off today.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Skeleton Jelly posted:

Just wanted to let everyone know that this thread has been a massively interesting read. I'm myself at the moment in a trade school doing welding but I've been seriously considering seafaring as a career for a bit now and this thread hasn't managed to scare me away so far. I'm Finnish and maritime education here seems to be quite different from what it's like in the States and Canada so in that regards I don't believe I can get lots of advice here but actual aspects of the job are probably quite international.

Are you of the Swedish speaking variety? Quite a few Swedes attended my school in Denmark, fwiw.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

lightpole posted:

I don't know many people who stick with OSVs long term, they either choose shoreside or deep sea.

Really? In my company which has both deep sea and OSVs people are crawling over themselves to go to the OSVs. They have shorter work periods and many feel that the work is more exciting than just going from A to B to C all the time.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Disturbed Mariner posted:

Any blokes working in the North Sea, specifically from come companies like Geopower, Seajacks ect? Just curious

I'm on an AHTS mostly out of Aberdeen. Not from any of those companies, though.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

afen posted:

Ah, how I miss Aberdeen! All we ever get is Bergen and Mongstad :/

Yeah, we get up there too, spent all Christmas alongside in Sandnes.

Airport beer prices are quite a bit more agreeable in Aberdeen than Bergen/Stavanger.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Haha, I love that they use a machine translator in the final paragraph.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Mr Teatime posted:

I don't suppose anyone could give me some career guidance based on their own experience? I have a British ticket and I'm about to do my second trip as a 4th eng with Maersk Line, if hypothetically I wanted to ditch Maersk containers what are my best options to consider? My current plan is to fix up my CV and just fire it at everyone that owns a ship and see what if anything bites. Also if anyone has experience of escaping to a shore job I would be interested in hearing about it.

Well, we have quite a few British guys in Maersk Supply Service, maybe try them?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Well, FWIW, I see plenty of guys coming over from deep sea. Of course you don't have that much sailing time, but I'd give it a shot.

On my ship at least they do get half days on Sunday.

Oh, and if you manage to get on a Danish flagged vessel you don't pay taxes apparently, but you're still paid as if you do.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I saw my first irl grounded ship a few days ago. Far less dramatic than that Höegh ship, though.

We were about to tie up to it, but then some harbor tugs pulled it free.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I'm starting to get a bit worried about the oil price. The North Sea market is poo poo, and my company has just suspended the possibility of cashing out accrued leave days. If the price stays depressed for years we could be in for a world of hurt.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I survived a firing round! :toot:

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
~10 days until my company fires 50% of crew of my nationality. loving oil price.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf

Per posted:

~10 days until my company fires 50% of crew of my nationality. loving oil price.

And I made it. Wonder how long until the next firing round.

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
It seems Lufthansa has ended their Oil&Energy Club program. As far as I'm aware, that leaves only Air France/KLM with their Petroleum Club. Does anyone know of similar programs at other airlines?

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
I really miss Aberdeen. Going for a stroll, hitting up Poundland for 3-for-£2 Milka bars. Now I'm in Angola where you're liable to get arrested if you so much as visit another ship quayside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Per
Feb 22, 2006
Hair Elf
Speaking of IT, my company was hit by that malware attack recently. My ship still hasn't got use of its networked computers, we have to make do with a dingy laptop.

• Locked thread