Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
camino
Feb 23, 2006
I'm currently working my way through one of the academies.

What's it like getting a job after you have a license? Do they give a damned about prior experience, or is it just do you have a license and a pulse?

I used to be in the Navy, and the Nav requires new people to qualify their watchstation before standing it unassisted, and I understand it is different on the civmar side of things. So let's say I get my license and get out of this academy, get a job and show up to the boat. Are they going to expect me to be able to stand a 3rd Assistant's watch immediately without learning the engine room? That's a little intimidating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Trench_Rat posted:

I'm currently an engineer cadet on board this ship http://www.eidesvik.no/veritas-viking/category136.html we run a odd crew scheme by having twice as many junior officers as we need to. Due to the company that has hired/chartered the boat having run a safety analysis. We got captain, chief mate, two first and two second mates. Chief engineer, 1st engineer, two second engnieers, cadet (me) and a oiler apprentice.

Which school are you at? Why did you pick that one over the others?

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Christoff posted:

I'm in the Navy right now. Just how many of the dudes doing this are prior Navy?

Assuming I get out after my 5 years (which I definitely plan on doing) I'll probably have never seen a Navy vessel. Of course I did all that training in boot camp, etc.

At any rate. Does being prior Navy help me get a job? What about medical jobs? I'm an EMT-B and Corpsman now (the latter not meaning poo poo in the civilian world) I have a ton of medical experience/skills. But, unfortunately, it's only because of Military medicine that I can practice them.

Couldn't really tell you about getting a job, but being prior Navy hasn't greatly helped me at my maritime academy. I do get to sit through powerpoint after powerpoint of information that I already know, and it helps me do fairly well on the tests.

My class has several ex-Navy guys. Biggest difference between us and the younger kids is that we're getting paid off the MGIB and we know what we're learning. We do have a FMF corpsman in class with us, and he's doing fairly well.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

shovelbum posted:

The US schools all seem to take different approaches, I have looked over most of their requirements- some train you more towards the operations/management side of things, some do the maths/physics mindfuck, some are all over the place and you wonder what they could even call their degrees, the one I am going to takes guys with random bachelors degrees coming in and essentially chains them to either a diesel engine or a pilotage simulator, notice how the curriculum immediately devolves into hour after hour of concentrated lab time past the first semester, as all other aspects of it vanish (in the grand US tradition, credit hours bear no actual relationship to the time spent in the lab)- http://www.nmc.edu/maritime/admissions/three-year-engineering-curr-guide.pdf The upside is a three year program with two commercial cadet cruises.

I am still looking forward to it.

I think we spent all of one day in the diesel simulator during first year, and that was only because half the class took a propeller club trip to go look at a dock or something.

Be prepared for PowerPoint. Oh god, the PowerPoint.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Thes a specific USCG Merchant Mariners physical, but any doctor can fill it out. Find the sleaziest doctor in your town and you're good to go.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Serf posted:

Thanks for all the information, FrozenVent. I think I will go to school, but not right now. I really need to do a little work in the field for a while, just to make absolutely sure I want to do this job. Also, a little time doing menial labor is just the kind of vacation I need from academics. So, after some research, I think the requirements to get a job as an AB/OS are as follows:

1) Get my medical.
2) Get a TWIC certification.
3) Get my MMC certification.
4) Look for a job.

Did I miss anything? I'm unclear on is the STCW. Anyone want to help me figure this thing out? As best I can tell it's some sort of exam for anyone wanting to get out into international waters. I've found some courses for it and the like, but no solid information on what applies to me. For instance, at one place, it had a Basic Safety Training course, but then said it didn't apply to AB/OS, oilers, etc. That seems odd to me, though maybe I'm reading it wrong. Like I said, I could use some help with this part of it.

For what it's worth, Great Lakes Maritime Academy offers a three year program for people that already have bachelors degrees. Bonus of not having to call 19 year olds in regiments "Sir@".

camino
Feb 23, 2006
Having lived in both, I'll take Detroit of Charleston any day. If only because of the Citadel.

camino
Feb 23, 2006

shovelbum posted:

Day 20something on the Lakes. I miss my deep sea cadet time!

Day 3 of 35. I'm gonna lap you sucka.

Per posted:

Is it true that on the lakes you don't say port/starboard but just left/right?

Some of the old timers do, but the new union contracts require the companies to call the union hall. Now there's a mix of the two.

camino
Feb 23, 2006
I was a RC divver on a sub, and I looked into getting my qualm transferred over. On the engineering side it wouldn't amount to much. Not sure on the deck side.

In the end, a maritime academy + the GI bill wound up being the highest paying solution.

Not much help, sorry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

camino
Feb 23, 2006

Phanos posted:

Well I live in Honolulu at the moment and I'm not willing to fly to the mainland to attend a maritime academy. I was mostly looking for temporary work because the university I'm attending is going to start charging me non-resident tuition that I can't afford and I thought I could take a year off and go back to sea until I gain residency in the state. Thanks for the advice though.

Probably not a great option if you're looking for temporary work. You'll need a Merchant Mariner's Credential, a physical, and an STCW class just to get a job. That's probably about $2000 out of pocket, and any credentials you could transfer over from The Nav would just be icing on top of that.

I'm pretty sure there's an Seafarers International Union hall out there in Honolulu. It might be worth knocking on their door to get a solid answer in what you need to do.

• Locked thread