Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

screaden posted:

I finished it for the first time a couple of days ago, it's taking a lot of my willpower to try reading something else instead of starting again straight away. It took me a bit over a year to read the full series. I loved every second of it, it rekindled my love of reading.

I can highly recommend the audiobooks if you do that kind of thing. It's a whole different experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thekeeshman
Feb 21, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I can highly recommend the audiobooks if you do that kind of thing. It's a whole different experience.

Get the audiobooks read by Patrick Tull, not Simon Vance (imho)

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
TIL Lord Cochrane held the first patent for an airlock, and was an early fan of steamships.

(IIRC Jack viewed the steam launch he encountered with some small amount of scorn, though I'd imagine he could be persuaded of their utility around a dreaded lee shore.)

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.
Smacks of innovation!

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
This summer I made the raspberry shrub from “Lobscouse and Spotted Dog” and promptly forgot about it until my six month reminder came through tonight and the memories of squeezing juice through cheesecloth came rushing stickily back.

Taste is a bit sickly but not disagreeable when iced. think I might add some lemon juice or something in future. Anyway it beats three-water grog. Very sedative.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Lobscouse & Spotted Dog is a fun reading little cookbook. It’s worth picking up just for Patrick O'Brian’s forward where he kind of veers away from talking about the book to lamenting the lack of pudding in america.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Drunkboxer posted:

Lobscouse & Spotted Dog is a fun reading little cookbook. It’s worth picking up just for Patrick O'Brian’s forward where he kind of veers away from talking about the book to lamenting the lack of pudding in america.

Husband made a christmas pudding this year. Candied oranges, suet, the whole shebang. They use so...much...brandy. Like, we kept running out.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
I think you cracked the secret as to why people would eat those things!

i've looked up a few recipes from things mentioned in the books and they are routinely incredibly unappetizing, but I could absolutely go for some toasted cheese and coffee, so it's not all bad

about 21, a few posts ago - I read the first few pages to see if one particular scene I wanted to exist did. It did. Then I stopped and don't feel like I missed out on anything. I probably wouldn't mind finishing 21 someday, so what I'm really saying is there's no wrong answer.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Traditional English puddings are delicious. Christmas pudding especially. It’s a shame nobody in my family ever wants to eat them.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

thekeeshman posted:

Get the audiobooks read by Patrick Tull, not Simon Vance (imho)

Agreed, those are the ones I listened to.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Psion posted:

I think you cracked the secret as to why people would eat those things!

i've looked up a few recipes from things mentioned in the books and they are routinely incredibly unappetizing, but I could absolutely go for some toasted cheese and coffee, so it's not all bad

They're really good! I made a couple of the puddings a year or two back -- I posted a trip report in this thread if you ? me -- and it makes a really nice dessert or breakfast. It tastes kind of like a moist, dense pancake with fruit inside. I think it'd be too thick without the cream sauce or maybe some syrup, though. It's too hard to find beef suet here or I'd make em more often, but I had to order it from a UK foods place online.

But yeah, a lot of the stuff in the recipe book comes directly from the books, and a lot of it isn't really practical to do. There are some puddings and pies and drinks that might be fun to make, but most of the others are either intricate dishes from some culture they were visiting that I certainly don't have all the ingredients for, or simple recipes made at sea or by people in poverty that I'm not gonna eat since I have better alternatives.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic
Everlasting syllabub is an easy recommend, and is really, really good.

I don't know why it's not still popular.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Everlasting syllabub is an easy recommend, and is really, really good.

I don't know why it's not still popular.

I made this last summer and yeah it's amazing. I still have some white port so I need to make another batch sometime.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I'm rereading The Far Side of the World and O'Brian really goes of out of his way to crap on Buenos Aires specifically and Argentina more generally. Does anyone know if that's true to the time period or more reflective of British sentiment around the time of the Falklands War when the book was being written?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've been making everlasting syllabub with sparkling juice in place of the wine and it is a big hit at potlucks and what not.

ovenboy
Nov 16, 2014

What's sparkling juice? Like light cider?

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ovenboy posted:

What's sparkling juice? Like light cider?

carbonated fruit juice presumably

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
I’m reading The Yellow Admiral right now and I wish Stephen would just challenge Mrs Williams to a duel and get it over with. I’m sick of all that vile lickpenny shrew’s scheming.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Drunkboxer posted:

I’m reading The Yellow Admiral right now and I wish Stephen would just challenge Mrs Williams to a duel and get it over with. I’m sick of all that vile lickpenny shrew’s scheming.

I found her annoying in Post Captain, but I didn't expect her to become my most hated villain of the series.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

She's a doting grandmother, at least

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I know in my soul she did something reckless and stupid in the carriage ride that caused the accident; or, failing that, said something so awful that Diana chose murder-suicide.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

The way I always imagined it was she running her mouth and nagging and pissed Diana off so she drove recklessly, which Diana has done in the past when nagged.

A Real Horse
Oct 26, 2013

So my dad and I do a two person book club, and my most recent pick was Master and Commander. I am 40 pages and I’m going to have to read this entire series, aren’t I? It is already an absolute delight to read.

Also when Dr Maturin first wakes up after dining with Aubrey and thinks to himself “Christ, another day.” I have never related to a fictional character so hard in my life.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, if you enjoy the first book then the series is really going to be a treat for you. O'Brian really hits his stride a couple books in.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

A Real Horse posted:

So my dad and I do a two person book club, and my most recent pick was Master and Commander. I am 40 pages and I’m going to have to read this entire series, aren’t I? It is already an absolute delight to read.

Also when Dr Maturin first wakes up after dining with Aubrey and thinks to himself “Christ, another day.” I have never related to a fictional character so hard in my life.

Yes you will. If you get bogged down in the second book, keep at it; the remaining 18 will be more to your liking.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

A Real Horse posted:

Maybe one of my favorite parts of M&C. I sometimes go back and just read the first couple of chapters just for that part.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

A Real Horse posted:

Oh god, I just got a flash of Roast Beef and Ray as Stephen and Jack

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1768291733249327389

Well, this is kinda cool. They named a newly-discovered giant turtle after the god-turtle Maturin in the Stephen King novels, who in turn was named after Stephen Maturin from the Aubrey-Maturin novels.

So in a way, Stephen Maturin ends up with his own little bit of immortality just like Jack does, in-universe, with testudo aubreii.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Phenotype posted:

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1768291733249327389

Well, this is kinda cool. They named a newly-discovered giant turtle after the god-turtle Maturin in the Stephen King novels, who in turn was named after Stephen Maturin from the Aubrey-Maturin novels.

So in a way, Stephen Maturin ends up with his own little bit of immortality just like Jack does, in-universe, with testudo aubreii.

I'm literally tearing up this is so nice

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

So I went looking for this, and it seems like Tor nuked the entire post chain. Backups are available at https://michaelcross.me.uk/jowalton/, and look for Patrick O'Brian in the authors tabs.

Cassian of Imola
Feb 9, 2011

Keeping her memory alive!
I finished the whole series on audiobook some years ago and recently restarted it. I had forgotten how much ground gets covered in Post Captain and keep getting surprised by even major plot points (the vile Polychrest, the duel[!], how nasty Diana could be, how far Jack actually went with her, etc.). It's as close as I could reasonably come to the ideal Eternal Sunshine mind-wipe and it's wonderful

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Husband made a christmas pudding this year. Candied oranges, suet, the whole shebang. They use so...much...brandy. Like, we kept running out.

This is also why fruitcake in general and Christmas cake in specific (fancy iced and marzipan'd fruitcake) is popular in the UK, but fruitcake is a joke in the US. It works because it is soaked in rum/brandy/whisky for, like, weeks. Prohibition ruined you lot. Same reason (hard) cider basically died out until recently in America too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

A traditional British Christmas pudding is one of the greatest things on earth (I view the Christmas cake as the half assed version) but being in Australia I can never convince my family to serve it, because it’s ’too hot’.