Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

jazzyjay posted:

Hobbit bonden

This is the real casting sin of the adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

There were a number of Horatio Hornblower TV movies that came out in the late 90s that are worth a watch. Nothing on the quality of M&C of course, but still well made.

I enjoyed these and the Sharpe tv series too. The Hornblower ones used to be on youtube but looks like they got smacked https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hornblower_(TV_series)

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

I've enjoyed Dead Calm and All is Lost, which are modern sailboat movies, but still very much sailing movies.

Submarines are way easier to film. Das Boot has all the nautical fun anyone could ask for. It's kind of interesting as a bookend to A/M now that I think about it.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Finished up Clarissa Oakes/The Truelove last night, felt a bit light on to be honest but keen to see where it heads next, the biggest thing was the revelation about the higher placed spy from Clarissa, but I'm surprised more wasn't made about the way Stephen received that information, it just feels waaaay too fortuitous to have such important information just fall in to his lap like that but I don't see how anyone could have planned that in advance so I guess we'll see

screaden fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 2, 2023

Deeters
Aug 21, 2007

I'm glad to see POB captured the essence of Boston:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Deeters posted:

I'm glad to see POB captured the essence of Boston:

one of the rare fucks

well two

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

ChubbyChecker posted:

one of the rare fucks

well two

Because it's Boston :hmmyes:

(I remember reading an article saying that 1800s profanity was notably different than ours, way more about religious blasphemy than the sexual/scatological profanity of today. It was specifically about the show Deadwood but since Aubrey-Maturin is set even earlier, I would think the same would apply. So "drat your eyes" is probably more accurate than "gently caress you").

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
The best f-bomb is the "gently caress Old Harte" song from (iirc) Master & Commander

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Kylaer posted:

Because it's Boston :hmmyes:

(I remember reading an article saying that 1800s profanity was notably different than ours, way more about religious blasphemy than the sexual/scatological profanity of today. It was specifically about the show Deadwood but since Aubrey-Maturin is set even earlier, I would think the same would apply. So "drat your eyes" is probably more accurate than "gently caress you").

I've read similar about Deadwood, and a quick doublecheck reveals that they were talking specifically about cowboys in the American West. Sailors, especially on a multicultural crew like the Royal Navy employed/pressganged, wouldn't necessarily have that same religious background.

The earliest use of the phrase "I don't give a gently caress" dates to 1790!

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I vaguely remember reading a Milch interview where he said they considered period swearing in the writing for Deadwood but it sounded too goofy to the modern ear, like everyone was Yosemite Sam.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, some stuff that sounds tame or goofy today would be shocking then, but to some degree the reverse was true. "You smell like poo poo" would be less an insult and maybe more like constructive criticism, and slanderous comments tended to only work if they had a ring of truth to them. All the cuckhold insults were pretty period accurate though, in particular making horns with your fingers.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Phy posted:

The earliest use of the phrase "I don't give a gently caress" dates to 1790!

ok I'm curious now, where's this from specifically?

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Psion posted:

Killick.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

That mumping villain!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Psion posted:

From the Wikipedia article on "gently caress":

gently caress posted:

A 1790 poem by St. George Tucker has a father upset with his bookish son say "I'd not give [a gently caress] for all you've read". Originally printed as "I'd not give ------ for all you've read", scholars agree that the words a gently caress were removed, making the poem the first recorded instance of the now-common phrase I don't give a gently caress.

Cessna
Feb 20, 2013

KHABAHBLOOOM

withak posted:

I vaguely remember reading a Milch interview where he said they considered period swearing in the writing for Deadwood but it sounded too goofy to the modern ear, like everyone was Yosemite Sam.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Which it is real examples of cursing in the old west:

https://www.notesfromthefrontier.com/amp/frontier-cussing

quote:

Calling someone a “flannel-mouthed chiseling chuckleheaded gadabout coffee boiler” meant they were a no good, smooth-talking, dishonest, ignorant, jawflapping, lazy rear end. A “rag-propered lickfingers” was an over-dressed rear end-kisser.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

My dad still calls people chiselers

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Just started on The Commodore and Stephen's return to his home and daughter :smith:. I hope Padeen and Brigid have a long and beneficial friendship? That one tiny little reference to her looking in his eyes gives me some hope. The whole build up to that scene is incredible, I've never read something where I've had that palpable sense of dread through such lean writing, an extremely effective beginning. This feels like it's about to break a bit of a dry spell of the past few books which is nice, and the return of Clarissa Oakes is very welcome

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

screaden posted:

Just started on The Commodore and Stephen's return to his home and daughter :smith:. I hope Padeen and Brigid have a long and beneficial friendship? That one tiny little reference to her looking in his eyes gives me some hope. The whole build up to that scene is incredible, I've never read something where I've had that palpable sense of dread through such lean writing, an extremely effective beginning. This feels like it's about to break a bit of a dry spell of the past few books which is nice, and the return of Clarissa Oakes is very welcome

The description of Brigid's first sea voyage is one of my favorite passages in the books.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

yaffle posted:

The description of Brigid's first sea voyage is one of my favorite passages in the books.

Just recently got through that part, absolutely love it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
https://arstechnica.com/science/2023/11/lost-letters-of-18th-century-french-sailors-have-been-read-for-the-first-time/

Great Britain still not hesitating to read other fellow's mail a few hundred years in the future.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Coming to the end of The Commodore and man this one is kind of sad? Everything to do with the slave ships (the description of them throwing the children overboard to be torn apart by the sharks was rough), the realisation of their aging, pretty much everything to do with Stephen's life and health, Jack being disappointed with his supposed promotion and his marriage, I have a horrible feeling none of this will end well in the next 30 or so pages. I did really like that passage where Stephen overhears Jack playing outside at Ashgrove and realises he has been moderating his playing in order to play alongside Stephen and his damaged hands.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

screaden posted:

Coming to the end of The Commodore and man this one is kind of sad? Everything to do with the slave ships (the description of them throwing the children overboard to be torn apart by the sharks was rough), the realisation of their aging, pretty much everything to do with Stephen's life and health, Jack being disappointed with his supposed promotion and his marriage, I have a horrible feeling none of this will end well in the next 30 or so pages. I did really like that passage where Stephen overhears Jack playing outside at Ashgrove and realises he has been moderating his playing in order to play alongside Stephen and his damaged hands.

Yes I just posted that passage on the previous page, it really is excellent. I just teared up again reading it.

And don't worry too much, things generally work out okay in A-M.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
How much of the idea that it’s rude to ask about someone’s life, even when it’s seemingly frivolous questions between friends, in social interactions taken from actual regency era society? I haven’t really been able to tell how much of this is based on historical ideas of propriety, how much of it is based on Stephen’s specific character as an intelligence agent, or how much is just coming from O’Brian’s own desire to hide his past. I’ve only read through The Wine Dark Sea so far for context.

Drunkboxer fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 5, 2023

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Drunkboxer posted:

How much of idea that it’s rude to ask about someone’s life, even when it’s seemingly frivolous questions between friends, in social interactions taken from actual regency era society? I haven’t really been able to tell how much of this is based on historical ideas of propriety, how much of it is based on Stephen’s specific character as an intelligence agent, or how much is just coming from O’Brian’s own desire to hide his past. I’ve only read through The Wine Dark Sea so far for context.

Idk about actual regency society but it’s what you’d expect from novels of the period. Like think of Pride & Prejudice where pretty much all the conflict is based on superficial misreadings of other peoples emotions that could be easily cleared up if anyone was straight with each other, which they can’t be because it would be unthinkably offensive . Like nobody dares to be so impolite as to ask Bingley why he’s hosed off leaving the sister in the lurch, or to ask Darcy what his problem is with Wickham. It would be rude to answer truthfully and rude to have to lie. So instead the question never gets asked and Darcy and Lizzie have a shouting match. which serendipitously helps fix everything but whatever. Or later on when Lady Catherine rocks up demanding to know what Lizzie’s intentions are with Darcy and even though she’s Lizzie’s social superior and has good reason to want to know, Lizzie basically says “my life is none of your business, gently caress off”.

Maturin definitely keeps his past close to the chest as well. There’s a funny bit (forget which book) where Jack is banging on and on about what he was doing during the Revolution and then asks Stephen what he was up to back then. Stephen spends a couple paragraphs calling back the memories of youth and the heady utopian idealism of those days before Robespierre and Napoleon and then his eventual answer is like “uh. med school I guess”

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Dec 5, 2023

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

skasion posted:

Idk about actual regency society but it’s what you’d expect from novels of the period. Like think of Pride & Prejudice where pretty much all the conflict is based on superficial misreadings of other peoples emotions that could be easily cleared up if anyone was straight with each other, which they can’t be because it would be unthinkably offensive . Like nobody dares to be so impolite as to ask Bingley why he’s hosed off leaving the sister in the lurch, or to ask Darcy what his problem is with Wickham. It would be rude to answer truthfully and rude to have to lie. So instead the question never gets asked and Darcy and Lizzie have a shouting match. which serendipitously helps fix everything but whatever. Or later on when Lady Catherine rocks up demanding to know what Lizzie’s intentions are with Darcy and even though she’s Lizzie’s social superior and has good reason to want to know, Lizzie basically says “my life is none of your business, gently caress off”.

Maturin definitely keeps his past close to the chest as well. There’s a funny bit (forget which book) where Jack is banging on and on about what he was doing during the Revolution and then asks Stephen what he was up to back then. Stephen spends a couple paragraphs calling back the memories of youth and the heady utopian idealism of those days before Robespierre and Napoleon and then his eventual answer is like “uh. med school I guess”

A conversation is not an interrogation with two parties taking turns asking questions. :colbert:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

builds character posted:

A conversation is not an interrogation with two parties taking turns asking questions. :colbert:

Question and answer is not a liberal form of conversation.

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
I think that was the quote, anyway, and I have always wondered what was meant by "liberal" in that context.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Notahippie posted:

I think that was the quote, anyway, and I have always wondered what was meant by "liberal" in that context.

Before political liberalism becomes entrenched in the generation after the Napoleonic wars, “liberal” usually means generous or even free—(etymologically the word carries a connotation of “like a free man”). To continue my comparison from above, Austen uses the word to imply a kind of gentlemanly openhandedness—Darcy is very liberal to his people and tenants—but also to suggest openmindedness—Mrs Bennett is of “illiberal mind” (ie she’s an airhead full of fixed ideas). So I guess Maturin’s suggesting that Q&A is more like constrained interrogation (something he has been through for real) than polite conversation.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Conversational questions carry with them some implied right to know the answer.

Especially in a society with more exposure to hierarchy and authority, I can see it rankling. Questioning is what you do to a servant who has hosed up and might be trying to evade notice. So who the gently caress are you to question me?

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
It just seems so annoying to be limited to anecdotes and riddles during conversation. Asking someone about themselves is a handy crutch to keep a conversation going.

skasion posted:

That’s in Wine-Dark Sea, it’s what started me wondering about this. That and the part in Clarissa Oakes where she says she doesn’t like being asked questions about herself because it’s hard to keep all her stories straight (or something to that effect, I can’t find the quote now). That’s the bit that had me wondering how much of it is O’Brian talking through his characters.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Well you could talk about music, books, etc.; you could talk about news and politics -- the dashing exploits of certain naval captains perhaps; you could talk about interesting practical developments that are changing society in interesting ways; you could just gossip about ones peers or servants; you could muse on morality, or Character: whether this or that was indicative of one's character and the goodness or badness of that; you can tut tut and tsk tsk and praise and laud away the hours; you can say how all this bores you and wouldn't you rather like to go take in a more interesting sight and go stare at a bird or tree or some poo poo just as an excuse to not be trapped in a room having these excruciating conversations forever.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
Whenever the conversation lags, I just toss off a few jibes about the Pope or perhaps a humorous anecdote about a miserly Scotsman and the conversation is soon humming along with absolute celery. Ha ha. Did you smoke it? I said celery, haha.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

The KillJamesBond! podcast has done an episode on the movie. They respond a lot to movie-Hollum's fate to decide against the "dudes rock" Twitter consensus and the very shallow analysis of the professional critics.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sax Solo posted:

The KillJamesBond! podcast has done an episode on the movie. They respond a lot to movie-Hollum's fate to decide against the "dudes rock" Twitter consensus and the very shallow analysis of the professional critics.

Amusing, but the one lady making constant Star Trek comparisons was killing me, lol. Deeply painful. :v:

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle
Also, they want me to download an app so I can point out their many mistakes, but gently caress that.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Abi is a theater kid. Theater kids can't be expected to understand things properly.

yaffle posted:

Also, they want me to download an app so I can point out their many mistakes, but gently caress that.
Oh just go to AliceAvizandum's tumblr to point out any mistakes (Sophie Villiers? lol). I'm sure she'd love to hear them.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sax Solo posted:

Conversational questions carry with them some implied right to know the answer.

Especially in a society with more exposure to hierarchy and authority, I can see it rankling. Questioning is what you do to a servant who has hosed up and might be trying to evade notice. So who the gently caress are you to question me?

You are impertinent to ask who I am, sir! My second shall call upon yours forthwith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Sax Solo posted:

to point out any mistakes (Sophie Villiers? lol). I'm sure she'd love to hear them.

"Sophie Villiers" made my eyebrows shoot up and all the way around to what little hair remains on my bald head