Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sailor’s sweetheart Sophie the secret sapphic stolen by surgeon’s spouse would’ve been an interesting twist. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'm just going to say it, if no one else will.

Wearing that hat athwart ship makes that dumb hat look even worse and fore and aft looks objectively better, and even a little dashing. I don't care what Nelson did.

One of the few consistent blunders Aubrey insisted on making at sea.

Lewd Mangabey
Jun 2, 2011
"What sort of ape?" asked Stephen.
"A damned ill-conditioned sort of an ape. It had a can of ale at every pot-house on the road, and is reeling drunk. It has been offering itself to Babbington."

Lockback posted:

Wearing that hat athwart ship makes that dumb hat look even worse and fore and aft looks objectively better, and even a little dashing. I don't care what Nelson did.

*Gasps and drops sherry glass directly into the pudding plate*

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name
Tbh the Tyrant himself famously wore his bicorn athwartships, very sus behaviour if you ask me

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Lockback posted:

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

SimonSays posted:

Tbh the Tyrant himself famously wore his bicorn athwartships, very sus behaviour if you ask me

Jack's solitary point in common with the Corsican upstart, if you ask me.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Lockback posted:

:agreed:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
Next you’ll be criticizing his very becoming buttercup-yellow braid.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Drunkboxer posted:

Next you’ll be criticizing his very becoming buttercup-yellow braid.

Nah, that's dope. Hat is stupid.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."
I always liked the little arc of Jack's thoughts on Nelson. He starts trying to copy him a lot, and then as the books go on he has these little thoughts of "Well perhaps Nelson wasn't right in all things." as he tries new things to make his ship run better. Particularly in Aubrey's love of long-range fire vs Nelson just getting right up close.

jazzyjay
Sep 11, 2003

PULL OVER
I've just finished reading Fortune of War (American war of 1812) and there's a great bit where the Java's captain is all "imma gonna go at em like Nelson" and Jack's suffering cognitive dissonance going "well Nelson is of course correct but on the other hand maybe only where Frenchmen are involved???" Then by the next book he's hating on Nelson but that's for other reasons :females:

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
People in this thread might appreciate a Christmas gift I received from my dear wife:

prints of the rigging and sail plans for HMS Surprise.

Their late arrival was no doubt due to the packet being delayed by the perfidious French.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

TerminalSaint posted:

People in this thread might appreciate a Christmas gift I received from my dear wife:

Their late arrival was no doubt due to the packet being delayed by the perfidious French.

:nice:

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
That's why the packages are numbered, vagaries of mail being what they are.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

Benagain posted:

That's why the packages are numbered, vagaries of mail being what they are.

Is Patrick O'Brian why "vagaries" entered my vocab? I found myself using it in a work e-mail and wondered where I pulled it from.

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
So I just finished The Yellow Admiral and I have a question about Stranraer, did Stephen kill him? Either by the digitalis itself or knowing that his own surgeon, Sherman, would be unable to get Stranraer to reduce his dosage?

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

screaden posted:

So I just finished The Yellow Admiral and I have a question about Stranraer, did Stephen kill him? Either by the digitalis itself or knowing that his own surgeon, Sherman, would be unable to get Stranraer to reduce his dosage?

That was a very neat medically accurate sequence, the admiral had atrial fibrillation and digitalis can be a treatment for it, but it's also a dangerous drug and easy to fatally overdose on. I don't think Stephen deliberately killed the admiral by anticipating he would overdose himself, he gave very explicit instructions to keep him from overdosing, but the admiral ignored them.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

a big dose is better than a small dose, stands to reason

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:

ChubbyChecker posted:

a big dose is better than a small dose, stands to reason

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

screaden posted:

Not on purpose, I don't think. Stephen leaves very explicit instructions and doesn't really have another option for treating his atrial fibrillation and related heart failure. He is very clear that Stranraer should listen to his surgeon and speaks highly of him to Stranraer, and then leaves detailed instructions for the surgeon as well. If he had had a safer drug regimen I'm sure he would have used it, but even today we dose digitalis through testing blood levels because it can be so variable. I think Stephen genuinely did the best he could, but sailors (especially admirals) are going to sailor when it comes to dose adjustments, and that's part of why he is so thorough in terms of trying to get Stranraer to listen to his surgeon. Stephen may be happy to murder someone, but I think he takes his oath way, way to seriously to ever consider doing so while acting as a doctor.

Also I can't help but laugh every time Stephen gives anyone medication, because when it isn't some opioid or coca, it's a laxative or emetic. Even when he is giving them a placebo, he fills it with some kind of purgative so the sailors "know they have been truly physicked". So him having a working medical treatment was pretty neat to see!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

His other period cure-all of bark and steel is actual useful medicine as well. Willow bark and iron supplements aren't great but they will ease pain and fever and ward off anemia.

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!
"Steel" refers to bloodletting, so it's not exactly warding off anemia :chef:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

TerminalSaint posted:

very cool!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Kylaer posted:

"Steel" refers to bloodletting, so it's not exactly warding off anemia :chef:

Wow, I had this image of them administering literal iron filings. Maybe that's never supported in the text!

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013
To be honest I also thought 'bark' was quinine, known then as Jesuit's Bark.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Oh I can see how the two would be related because w major side effect of quinine is hearing blood pounding in your ears. You could see how physicians would decide to let blood.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, I had this image of them administering literal iron filings. Maybe that's never supported in the text!

Yeah count me in for also not realizing steel meant blood-letting

screaden
Apr 8, 2009
Did I miss something in The Hundred Days or is Geoghegan somehow alive again?

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

screaden posted:

Did I miss something in The Hundred Days or is Geoghegan somehow alive again?

Could be a slight continuity error, there are one or two such things across the series, typically with minor characters reappearing after they've left the ship in one way or another. Can you quote the passage in question?

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

Could be a slight continuity error, there are one or two such things across the series, typically with minor characters reappearing after they've left the ship in one way or another. Can you quote the passage in question?

Reddit seems to think that this was just after his wife died who was his proof reader and would type up his handwritten manuscripts and so slipped through.

The Yellow Admiral posted:

Stephen had been walking aft to meet Jack as he came from talking to the master by the wheel. At the general cry he turned, and calling out ‘Do not move him’ he ran to Geoghegan hoping that there might not be too much damage – that taken below with great care he might be recovered. After a moment’s examination he could only report instant death.
18-The Yellow Admiral, ch.5, paragraph 111

The Hundred Days posted:

Stephen bowed to the inevitable and said, ‘Killick, please do me another kindness and take these children to Poll with my compliments – beg her to wash, brush and rig them in a suitable manner, feed them on whatever is appropriate, and above all be very kind and gentle with them. They do not speak any English yet, but Geoghegan will interpret.’
19-The Hundred Days, ch.8, paragraph 148

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

screaden posted:

Reddit seems to think that this was just after his wife died who was his proof reader and would type up his handwritten manuscripts and so slipped through.

I think that's quite likely, alternatively, he might just have picked an Irish name, meaning to refer to some Irish-speaking member of the crew. Which I think is a trick he pulls with Jack and other officers' lines sometimes? "Smith will accompany you to the boat" where Smith is not really a character who ever crops up again, and that's fairly realistic to how a ship's company would work, not everything is done by our old friends.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Second Geoghan

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

Genghis Cohen posted:

I think that's quite likely, alternatively, he might just have picked an Irish name, meaning to refer to some Irish-speaking member of the crew. Which I think is a trick he pulls with Jack and other officers' lines sometimes? "Smith will accompany you to the boat" where Smith is not really a character who ever crops up again, and that's fairly realistic to how a ship's company would work, not everything is done by our old friends.

I've definitely noticed this and is how I just hand waved it away, but he gets referenced a few pages later again as being in the tops and looking out for tunny-boats. It felt like he was referring to the same Geoghegan, but whatever, a minor quibble.

Anyway Hundred Days was really good, and really fast paced compared to the previous books, I burned through it so quickly. The death of Diana felt oddly tossed aside though, I know he generally likes to let those things happen "off screen" but for such a major character it felt strangely detached. Even Bonden got more of a reflexion from the characters than she did. Also :smith: about Bonden

I'm through the first chapter of Blue at the Mizzen and I'm starting to get sad, I'm not ready to read the 21st book yet, and I'm going to force myself to read something else instead of just immediately restarting the entire series again, I'm keen to read the first three with more experienced eyes and thoughts than my first time through

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

screaden posted:

I've definitely noticed this and is how I just hand waved it away, but he gets referenced a few pages later again as being in the tops and looking out for tunny-boats. It felt like he was referring to the same Geoghegan, but whatever, a minor quibble.

Anyway Hundred Days was really good, and really fast paced compared to the previous books, I burned through it so quickly. The death of Diana felt oddly tossed aside though, I know he generally likes to let those things happen "off screen" but for such a major character it felt strangely detached. Even Bonden got more of a reflexion from the characters than she did. Also :smith: about Bonden

I'm through the first chapter of Blue at the Mizzen and I'm starting to get sad, I'm not ready to read the 21st book yet, and I'm going to force myself to read something else instead of just immediately restarting the entire series again, I'm keen to read the first three with more experienced eyes and thoughts than my first time through

I've read that criticism of an important death before, but I don't think it is treated lightly; although it is never dwelt on at length it's made clear that Stephen is utterly bereft and it is picked up how everyone around him treats him with care, and how he throws himself into the war to avoid his grief. I think, although it may have been more personal to the author (I don't know when his own wife died in relation to writing the book) this is a pretty effective way of communicating the social restraint of the times, which is such a big part of how he portrays relationships in the books. It's not as if we would ever be treated to a modern-style scene where Stephen sobs on Jack's shoulder about how much he misses her because those weren't the rules back then, Stephen is intensely private about his grief as he is about most things.

evilfunkyogi
Jun 27, 2005
:effort:
Just finished my third re-read of the series, what a perfect ending.

I don't think I'm ever going to read 21, I feel it would just tarnish things.

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

Jack may have fought at the Nile but Stephen lives there every day.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

evilfunkyogi posted:

21 doesn't tarnish anything, but it also doesn't really make things better. It's really just the table setting for the next group of books and it doesn't even get that far into table setting. It's definitely unfinished, definitely a draft, but also there just isn't enough there to mean or impact much.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

Lockback posted:

21 doesn't tarnish anything, but it also doesn't really make things better. It's really just the table setting for the next group of books and it doesn't even get that far into table setting. It's definitely unfinished, definitely a draft, but also there just isn't enough there to mean or impact much.

Yeah, there's really not much finished text and what's there is unpolished, and the rest of it is just notes and stuff. It's more of a curiosity than a real book. I'm still glad I got it, if only as a glimpse into O'Brian's process and as a capstone for the bookshelf.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screaden
Apr 8, 2009

evilfunkyogi posted:

I finished it for the first time a couple of days ago, it's taking a lot of my willpower to try reading something else instead of starting again straight away. It took me a bit over a year to read the full series. I loved every second of it, it rekindled my love of reading.