Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Simon is the monkey's name

Arglebargle III posted:

Aaaah this had never occurred to me until now but they have to use expensive copper structural bolts because iron bolts in the hull would be corroded by the electrical connection with the sea through the ship's copper sheathing. I wondered why they used copper pins in the keel that incentivized the dockyard stealing it like with the Polychrest or the Worcester. They can't use iron in anything that might touch the copper sheathing!

Iron also reacts with the wood and causes it to rot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Phy posted:

Kind of depressing there's basically one guy with an OSHA.jpg operation in the States doing live oak, but then I guess there's not a ton of call for it any more.

It's cause white oak does the trick 98% as well and is actually straight, and almost nobody does grown frames anyway.

Watching Tally Ho get built makes me appreciate how much better the later builders from the 19th century understood wooden boats than the ones who built the Surprise in the 18th.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

bettany was too good looking and too tall to play Maturin

one flaw in an otherwise perfect film

Oh I wouldn't go so far as to call that a flaw :swoon:

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Genghis Cohen posted:

I'm not sure that Dundas' wife is ever mentioned? We do hear of Heneage's 'tribe of little bastards' and his entanglements with various girls are mentioned throughout the series, so if he does have a happy marriage it's to a very understanding woman!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Dundas_%28Royal_Navy_officer%29

"died in office, unmarried, of apoplexy" shortly after being made First Naval Lord.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

A Proper Uppercut posted:

What exactly changed to almost double the speed? Engineering? Materials?

From some of the descriptions in the books it sure sounds like there was already a lot of advanced engineering involved with ship geometry.

Bluff above the water and sharp below. What a fascinating modern age we live in.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

A sloop rig is a fore-and-aft rig with a single mast. Your typical modern sailboat is a Bermuda sloop (distinguished by the triangular mainsail), whereas I think in Aubrey's day a typical sloop rig would have a gaff mainsail.

A schooner is a fore-and-aft rig with two or more masts (I think I've seen as many as seven by the beginning of the 20th century). A typical schooner of Aubrey's day would have a fore and main mast (although these might be much closer than height than in, say, a brig) with gaff mainsails.

A topsail schooner adds a square topsail to the foremast and possibly the mainmast, improving performance before the wind.

Golly, it really does sail by and large.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Arglebargle III posted:

Sometimes it's guys stuck on a remote southern island with no rudder and no forge

My favourite adventure genre!!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

"Gentlemen" were afforded a lot of leeway to get unto debt in that society. The agent is the person Jack signs over the prizes to in exchange for a cash advance on their expected sale. Jack believes he'll eventually see the balance, minus a gigantic cut to the agent, so he tells all the people he's buying things from that they can, indeed, let him have it all on credit since he's going to be so rich once the prizes are sold.

This, of course, totally falls apart if your agent fucks off ignominiously and the prizes aren't worth what you thought. Then everyone you promised money to wants the first cut from you because they know damned well you can't repay everyone.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Coolest thread on the forums, thanks for the illustrated explainer!

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

builds character posted:

If you wear instead of tack you’re a scrub.

Look at this landsman who thinks the naval yards just hand out spars and cordage to any Tom, Dick and Harry.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

She's very, very explicitly a widow, and her name is Mrs Villiers, because, again, she's a widow.

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Kestral posted:

but please tell me it happens in this book and we can put this whole storyline to bed.

I have bad/good news

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Kestral posted:

Hopefully she becomes markedly less horrible to everyone around her once she's married.

Yeah sure

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

Lister's article on sepsis and the value of sterilizing surgical instruments doesn't appear until 1867. I recall accounts of earlier surgeons preserving blood and gore on their equipment as a sort of signal of their professional experience. Medicine, uh, advanced a lot during the nineteenth century.

I really appreciate that the character gives no shits whatsoever about cleaning his instruments but does about keeping them ruthlessly sharp and making the patient trust that he'll be fast as lightning and give them great value, and is perfectly happy giving seamen pointless treatments if it helps them believe they'll get better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SimonSays
Aug 4, 2006

Tbh the Tyrant himself famously wore his bicorn athwartships, very sus behaviour if you ask me