Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000
I really enjoy this series not only for the nautical period fiction, but because the relationship between Aubrey and Maturin was so enjoyable to read. The more books I read the more I envied their camaraderie and it kept me in the series far longer than pure genre fiction would have.

I don't remember if I read it somewhere else, but it seems that the author was often casting himself as Maturin and probing his own self-doubts about friendship and his ability to have it and be worthy of it. It added an interesting depth and character contrast that made the series memorable to me.

Anyways, that's probably all nonsense. Read the books, you'll love 'em. 21 was kind of emotional for me though, just because drops from rough draft to draft notes mid-stream...it was too sad and I couldn't get through it.

Edit: Hiero -- you might want to edit out almost all your description of Maturin at the end of your post because it doesn't come to light until farther along in M&C

Campbell fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Feb 28, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

silly posted:

... S. Thomas Russell ...

Reading his first book "Under Enemy Colors" a few years ago got me into Patrick O'Brian in the first place. Thanks for the heads up on his 2nd book!

Campbell
Jun 7, 2000

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

That book is my absolute favorite in the series, all because of 2 pages. You'll know them when you come to them.

Had to go read the recap and it all came flooding back. That section embodies what I love about the series as a whole.