Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm in book 4 of this series. I started watching after I netflixed the movie. I'm really digging it, which says something as usually the only fiction I read of any kind is comic books. I'm juggling a book at a time in the series with Lords of Finance and The Mechanics of Web Handling.

I think I'm going to bake some hard tack this weekend. I don't know where to find any weevils though :ohdear:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm about 80% through The Surgeon's Mate (#7) after going on a company trip. I spent my evenings in the hotel room reading.

Also, I watch Parks & Recreation regularly and there is a point where a character declares that instead of working he is going to sit here and a read a book about old boats, and he holds Nutmeg of Consolation up to the camera.

edit: All the mention of food inspired me to try Port wine. Wow. I don't like sweet things that much and that stuff was like alcoholic syrup.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Well I've gone overboard. I bought Musical Evenings with the Captain Vol 1 & 2 along with the cookbook. I am vegetarian so many of the recipes are right out but I'll be trying my hand shortly, probably next weekend.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Question from (I think) The Ionian Mission regarding gunpowder...

Jack buys up the entire stock of a closed fireworks manufacturer and his guns end up with colored smoke and flashes, was this something the author made up or was it lifted from someone in the actual navy?

Also: I made sea biscuits from the cookbook. I put one in the bottom of a bowl and then filled the bowl with stew. By the time I got the biscuit it... was still really hard.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm reading Reverse of the Medal right now and I am about half way into the book (by page number). It seems like the entire first half of the book has been explanation of what happened before or in the absence of Aubrey/Maturin and character's relations to the pair. It is just now getting the point where things are actually happening. I predict the last book will be 95% back story, 5% new.

edit: Still loving the series. Also I made seabiscuits. They lasted about 2 weeks on my shelf before breaking out in a catastrophic amount of mold.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
^^^
Because they are CUR-TAILED :haw:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

With what result? Could you go into more detail as to how that particular scene played out? Every time I get to it I spend like half an hour online trying to research cricket rules to no avail.

Jack was batting with Stephen on his team, and Stephen knocked down the wickets Jack was trying to defend. At least, that's how I remember it. I loved the lead up to the match, Jack commenting on how strange Stephen's cricket bat looked and Stephen saying he was a capital hurler.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I finished Thirteen Guns this morning. There are some pretty good comeuppances in that book, particularly Ledward and Wray, shot and then dissected for their spleens?! Wow!.

I also feel like there was some pretty heavy handed foreshadowing, I'm going to put my predictions here and we will see what I get right...

London is in financial turmoil, either Jack or Stephen have lost all their money, I'm leaning towards Stephen since he was having so much trouble with his bankers and having so much money has changed his behavior. Also! Fox went away on a boat after being insulted and having the Diane run aground. If Fox makes it to Batavia, I think he is going to make life tough on Jack during a court martial by talking about the articles of war that he violated.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i finished the yellow admiral over this weekend. really excited about seeing how everything ends

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
is the unfinished voyage worth reading?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
just finished hundred days. kinda bummed about diana and bonden

who is the lady mentioned in the last sentence as they sail away?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i bought the gold paperback editions, the spines form some of the paintings on the covers, i believe some of them were done by o'brian.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
i'm reading the unfinished voyage now. it is noticably a first draft, the phrasing is just a bit off. enjoying it so far though. My next boat book is Six Frigates, it is about the founding of the US Navy.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

CarterUSM posted:

True dat. Six Frigates is excellent. On the subject of the RN, though, I also recommend this: To Rule the Waves: How the British Navy Shaped the Modern World

It's been a while since I read it, and I'm sure it's a bit thin on excruciating detail since, y'know, it's not three thousand pages long, but I remember it being pretty decent.

I finished six frigates and I've been reading this. After I finish it I'm moving onto wooden ships & iron men. To Rule the Waves is good so far, francis drake just looted the pacific coast of spanish south america and is running north.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I finished To Rule The Waves. Pretty interesting stuff. Any other recommendations?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Master & Commander scene

They are having dinner near the end of the book and looking around for a knife. Maturin grabs a swedish steel knife they were using to dissect a dead woman and when the host asks if the knife should be clean he just says a good wipe will do

:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Hogge Wild posted:

The broadside of a real Man-of-war must be truly something to behold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Cn-btAkeI

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I'm reading Pride & Prejudice for the first thanks to the Aubrey-Maturin novels.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Which audiobook version is recommended for this series?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Clonfert's a dummy

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

ItalicSquirrels posted:

I've thought of Clonfert as a lot of things through the years, but a dummy isn't one of them. Which part(s) are you referring to?

the part where the French catch him with his pants down, the fort on ile de pass blows up and he gleefully says "I got them right where I want them". Pym, on horrible advice from clonfert (inferior enemy, etc.) gets everything all hosed up by losing the fort and all the big ships at the show down

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
"Do you know the expression rogering, Jack?"

"I believe I have heard it"

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've made ship's biscuit from it. They exploded in mold after about a week, no weevils though.

They were a bitch to eat. I ended up putting them in a bowl and then pouring soup or stew over them. By the time I got to the bottom of the bowl they were kinda soft enough to eat.

Also I learned how to play drops of brandy on my piano.

The negus recipe is good. It is like ye olde tymee gatorade.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Someone in this thread mentioned the Ramage series. I'm on book 2 now. Thanks!

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

ItalicSquirrels posted:

The man just would not stop ejaculating.

I have this problem too. :gizz:

Ramage series: boy howdy are the deus ex machinas thick in this series. Also Ramage is super clever and all Frenchmen are buffoons that fall for every trick because they are perpetually drunk and reek of garlic. I'm going to finish the series but POB is head and shoulders above dudley pope.

Molybdenum fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Mar 3, 2015

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Mr. Midshipman Easy is pretty good so far

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I read a passage recently that describes babbington's choice in women and one of the women he pursued was a Chinese lady that weighs 16 stone. People were shorter back then so this lady was a butterball.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've got the cookbook too, I particularly like the drink recipes like negus and flip.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Mr. Midshipman Easy is a good book too.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I subscribe that guy's YouTube channel. I'm pretty sure he actually buried his boston baked beans in a remains of a campfire. Very legit.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Got a new job with lots of driving, I signed up for audible but I'm probably going to get through more than a book a month, what's the cheapest option for the Patrick Tull audiobooks if you buy them in one go or the like?

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
you can buy a complete first edition set all signed and in good condition on abebooks for a cool 50k + shipping

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
they look faded to me but maybe that is because I'm used to modern dyes/fabric colors.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C

Genghis Cohen posted:

Holy hell, that bit in HMS Surprise when Jack brings Stephen out of Port Mahon. "tell him that if the commandant is not here in 10 minutes, I will kill him on that machine". The extreme tension and horror of the scene is portrayed so well by the terse writing. It just sort of gets across how disjointed, quick and hard to take in the whole episode was for those involved.

Next few book spoilers

the reader knows he is tortured and generally recovers thanks to being marooned and the characters go on and on about how much better he is, etc. but in surgeons mate O'Brian explicitly describes how Stephen is missing 3 fingernails on his right hand and I just cringe everytime I hear it or think about because :barf:

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Pulain patois mixup in M&C gets my vote

I swear I know the first word from somewhere...

I have been working my way through Patrick Tull's audio. In ionian mission does the book really say Mustafa had a "speed" of canvas or did Patrick Tull misspeak? I can't quite remember the exact passage in the book but I'm pretty sure it was in reference to the torgud sailing, not the surprise.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
movie -> books -> thread -> audiobooks

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
my wife got me the hornblower series for christmas and I've elected to read them in publication order. I'm up to the hotspur.

also Patrick Tull's Wan Da accent: yeesh.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Paul Bettany talks a little about filming M&C

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGIwJ53XpxU&t=248s

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
The torgud and even the landings/town taking/ship burning in that book are among my favorites. The build up for the weird cannon that shot marble was great.

I liked especially all the hoisting up of cannon above a town, firing a few shots to show how screwed their opponents were and just waiting for the white flag.

Also here's a video game with some crossover appeal for Aubrey maturing readers.

https://youtu.be/ILolesm8kFY

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I've made the negus and the flip before. Both great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
I made everlasting syllabub from the cookbook for Thanksgiving. It is basically fancy whipped cream. Good stuff.