Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
No matter how many times i read about Stephen being late to a dinner or some other event, i always crack a smile when he's forcibly hauled back and made presentable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
There's a phrase that captures Jack perfectly and damned if I can remember it exactly. Something along the lines of "A man with a great appreciation of all humor, be it his own or other's."

That's why you can never fully dislike the pun thing, because he never steals jokes and laughs just as hard at other people's. Every time he tells the dog-watch story he makes sure to give Stephen credit.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
The nice thing is that O'Brian pretty much expected that to be the reaction of non-sailors, so your job is to happily nod along like Maturin while checking a cheat sheet if you really want to try and get it. The idea that a sailing ship is a finely tuned machine is what's important, not the exact details, so feel free to skim a bit over rope chat.

\/\/\/ Welp.

Benagain fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Feb 7, 2012

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Living in a loft apartment with four other men, I've gained a newfound appreciation for the "we're all going to act as if we can't hear what's on the other side of this wall" aspect of shipboard life.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
That's why the packages are numbered, vagaries of mail being what they are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Fun Shoe
Jack's pissed but also realizes he gets to do more math to figure out navigational techniques IN SPACE