Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Aubrey is the original himbo. He knows about sailing but otherwise he's a big goof, Russel Crowe needed to oaf it up a bit imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

It's very funny/good that when Jack meets his black son Jack's main concern (beyond his wife knowing about it) is that he's Catholic.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

I love the Sethians explaining that they 100% have to have SETH painted on the side of the ship which everyone else is mad about and Jack's diplomatic solution is to leave it there but drape a sheet over it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Love Jack and Stephen coming up with the most outlandish poo poo to tell Mrs. Williams about Stephens castle.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The ladies getting very excited to teach those poor sailors how to keep a house clean.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Jack being incredulous that Stephen broke his promise not to consort with vampires and doesn't even have the decency to be embarrassed about it.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

If Diana just went apeshit on Stephen (and Jack sometimes) every now and then and shamed them down to their bones then she'd probably be more liked. Let fly with insults, unjust comparisons and nearby crockery and we'd probably cheer her spirit as an uncommon plucked 'un. Diana's one move is to get upset by something and then immediately cut ties with everybody and run away to the other side of the world. Perhaps thats in keeping with her options as a lady of her social class at this time but it is still very frustrating when it happens yet again.

I think Diana gets a lot of negative reactions also because she's so daring and fun compared to the more passive female characters that we expect her to rise above societal norms as a more typical fictional character would and when she doesn't it seems like she is purposely being cowardly or cruel. You could imagine a cheesy version of the novels where to gain true freedom, Diana poses as a man/boy and becomes a celebrated midshipman on the Surprise or something like that.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

"I wonder you can speak with such levity about my daughter. I have always treated yours with proper respect."

"You called them a pair of turnip-headed swabs once, when they were still in long clothes."

"For shame, Jack: a hissing shame upon you. Those were your very own words when you showed them to me at Ashgrove before our voyage to the Mauritius. Your soul to the Devil."

"Well, perhaps they were. Yes: you are quite right – I remember now – you warned me not to toss them into the air, as being bad for the intellects. I beg pardon."

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The 10,000 might be a joke from when Stephen is practising upon Mrs Williams about his castle.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

‘Where is the Doctor?’ he asked some time later, when the Surprise was tearing away southwards under a perfectly astonishing show of sail with the wind on her quarter.

‘Well, sir,’ said Pullings. ‘It seems he was up all night – the gunner’s wife taken ill – and now he and the chaplain are at peace by the gunroom stove at last, spreading out their beetles. But he says that if he is given a direct order to come and enjoy himself in the cold driving rain if not sleet too as well as a tempest of wind he will of course be delighted to obey.’

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Another good quote, it's always fun when the narration plays along with the jokes.

quote:

‘Mr Davidge, how came you to speak so petulantly to me last night as to say “Don’t you ever go to bed?” ’

‘Why, sir,’ said Davidge flushing, ‘I am sorry you should take it amiss. It was only meant in a rallying way – in the facetious line. But I see that it missed its mark. I am sorry. If you wish I will give you any satisfaction you choose to name when we are next ashore.’

‘Not at all, at all. I only wish to be assured that when you see me conversing with Mrs Oakes at the back of the poop you will allow me to finish my sentence. I might be on the very edge of an epigram.’

Well before the ship took her position by measuring the noonday height of the sun, almost all her company knew that the Doctor had checked Mr Davidge something cruel for speaking chuff in the first watch last night; had dragged him up and down the gunroom deck, flogging him with his gold-headed cane; had made him weep tears of blood. At this point Jack knew perfectly well that the dear Surprise was about to cross the tropic of Capricorn; but he had no notion of how her surgeon had savaged her second lieutenant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

‘Jack, give me joy. I have landed the ship!’

‘What of it?’ said Jack, who had felt the bone-jarring impact and already regretted letting Stephen demonstrate his supposed new navigational skills.

‘I have landed us upon the moon!’

‘What moon?’

‘Why Jack; the Earth's Moon, which gazes upon us every evening. I am sure you have had cause to notice it before.’

‘Stephen are you telling me in defiance of all naval tradition, you have landed my ship upon the moon?’

‘Just so.’

‘I did not recall giving you permission to do such a thing’

‘I told you of the paper, the Art of Soaring Through Aether, in the Philosophical Transactions, and you commended my desire to walk upon the surface of the moon. You said it would be a better way of restocking on cheese for our late-night meals.’

‘I remember it perfectly. But I had believed you to be describing an idle fancy, no more.’

‘I certainly mentioned my intention to make good the attempt at some length; but you did not attend. You were playing cricket at the time: you were watching out, and I came and stood by you.’