Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brannigans Love
Sep 19, 2008

This is an excellent series, it is amazing how fresh and interesting O'Brian was able to keep each book throughout which is absolutely incredible considering the length of the series. The language does take some time to get used to but I found that looking up the nautical terms online helped a great deal.

On another note, I have heard that if you read Aubrey/Maturin first then the Hornblower series can be a little bit disappointing. Any truth to that, or should I get on board with those books as well?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brannigans Love
Sep 19, 2008

Decius posted:

I feel the same. It encapsulates the series perfectly. Next to Desolation Island it is probably the book I've reread most often.

I have to agree with this also. Everything that happens in India in H.M.S. Surprise is incredible and probably my favorite part of the series. Also in Post Captain when Stephen sees DV in in the opera house at the end of the book was one of my favorite scenes as well.

Brannigans Love
Sep 19, 2008

So can anyone here explain to me what happens during the cricket game at the beginning of The Fortune of War? I get the impression that something highly amusing happens when Stephen gets up to bat but it went completely over my head.

Brannigans Love
Sep 19, 2008

Smashurbanipal posted:

Why are the dogwatches so called?

As I understand it a normal watch is 4 hours long. A dogwatch is basically just a normal watch split between the two watches in the ship, each doing 2 hours.

Brannigans Love
Sep 19, 2008

Every so often I will check amazon to see if this series has been put up in ebook format. Last night when I checked I became a very happy Aubrey & Maturin fan. I haven't had a chance to read any of them on my kindle yet so I don't know how the conversion went, but the fact that they are now available is awesome. Looks like they are going for about $9.