Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
OP, I think that you've made a great choice in reading material. It's very interesting what O'Brian notes in the foreword of M&C(I think, I'm away from home atm), how the actions and ships described are closely modeled on real ones that he learned about via various Royal Navy and other maritime-related sources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I don't believe Patrick O'Brian intended for their to be sexual undertones, only that it is very easy to read a relationship into the characters.

Jack and Stephen are the most important people in each other's lives. That much is obvious given the number of sleepless nights Jack passes worrying about Stephen's missions ashore.

One of my favorite scenes (comes much later in the series, I think the Yellow Admiral) is when Stephen overhears Jack alone, playing the violin. He realizes Jack has over the years become quite an accomplished violin player and has in fact, been playing below his skill level so as not to make Stephen feel uncomfortable or out of place.

In basically every aspect save the sexual component, they are in my mind a couple.

In some ways they are like an extreme version of a 'work couple' as the term is today: they live in an unbelievably close world aboard the ship and things happen between them - both on land and at sea - that one would not normally encounter; this is intensified by both the friendship and the occasional doctor/patient relationship that occurs. In fact, in one unusual sequence, they are in Jack's cabin and conversing about some incident or other while Stephen administers an enema to Jack. Many times in the series, they save each other's lives, fortunes and health with hardly a thought or hesitation.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I love re-reads of this series because each book always has some detail that was lost on me in O'Brian's prose.

Reading Master and Commander, and I realized that Stephen and Mr. Florey were dining with knives that were shortly ago used to autopsy a prostitute.

Mr. Florey suggests washing the knife.

Stephen compliments the blade as "swiss-made" and says that a wipe will surely be sufficient.

So gross.

Yes, things were really bad as far as cleanliness and technique went. When Stephen was about to operate on someone's skull...

"Had it not been for the need to preserve the appearance of professional infallibility and god-like calm, Mr Cotton would have pursed his lips and shaken his head: as it was he muttered, 'The Lord be with us,' and slid in his flattened probe. Stephen turned back his cuffs, spat on his hands, waited for the roll, placed his point and began his determined cut, the white bone skipping from the eager teeth and Carol swabbing the sawdust away. In the silence the ship's company grew still more intent: the midshipmen's birth, ghouls to a man, craned forward, unchid by their officers. But as the steel bit down into the living head, more than one grew pale, more than one looked away into the rigging; and even Jack, who had seen this grisly performance before, turned his eyes to the horizon where the distant Astrée and Iphigenia flashed white in the sun".

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Rexim posted:

I'm reading The Thirteen Gun Salute and I just got to the part where

Stephen apparently kills Wray and Ledward, and then dissects the corpses.

:staredog:

Yeah, Maturin is not just ice cold, he's very cunning as well, taking advantage of every opportunity that fortune presents. He managed to get in the good graces of various court officials and then orchestrated the downfall of Wray and Ledward, based on the undercurrents of jealousy about the sultan's catamite. Ledward picked the wrong boy to be two-timing with.