Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

withak posted:

That wasn’t very nice.

I know cruel to end on Reverse of the Medal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The problem with that analysis . . .I'd be inclined to agree with it, but the books have such flashes of such immense joy, joy beyond all disappointment

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Don't forget Dr. Maturin treated him for syphilis several times, so he probably ended up giving it to her.

Look, Maturin treats you, you're cured, stands to reason

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
https://twitter.com/punishedpope/status/1560019577794310144?s=20&t=uCMPS6DzTUKsvRat3LUYJA

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

AngusPodgorny posted:

Regarding the duel (spoilered because the resolution was one of my favorite things in the series): I figure neither of them actually wanted to duel, so they took the convenient excuse to postpone it, then just never brought it up again. Which seems out of place in a book because authors normally only set up conflict for the purpose of resolving it dramatically, but it's pretty genuine to real life where you'll find out something or something'll happen, but then there's an unspoken "you know what, let's just pretend that never happened."

There is a blink and you'll miss it elliptical resolution, I forget where but somewhere in the same book, where they both apologize without apologizing explicitly. (You're essentially correct)

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Wait bigger ships can go faster?

. . .I think I had picked that up actually but it's still weird

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MrMojok posted:

Just watched the movie, for the first time in a few years.

Even after all this time I’m still stunned at what a great job they did with it. I think it’s just a wonderful film.

Has anyone here ever played that game Naval Action. I had my eye on it for a while several years back, but never bought it. I was wondering how it is these days, if there are people still online, etc.

I played the beta and it was great but then it went open world pvp and got ehh. Might be good now no idea. The basic mechanics were great.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

MockingQuantum posted:

I just finished Blue at the Mizzen and my first read of all of the A-U books and I'm genuinely kind of broken up about it. I started Master & Commander sometime around the beginning of the pandemic and these books have, in some small way at least, helped me get through the last two years. It felt like how fantasy novels were for me as a kid, when I needed something completely fantastical and fictional to escape from everyday life sometimes, and I would get totally transported by whatever I was reading. I loved these books, and I'm sure I'll read them all again, likely sooner than later.

I'm amazed how invested I got, I definitely felt an emotional gut punch when Diana died unexpectedly in between two books, and an even bigger gut punch when Bonden died (can't remember which books those events happened in so just treat those like spoilers for the series, I guess!). I'm also a little disappointed that I'll never get to find out what happens with Stephen and Christine Wood, or get more of Horatio Hanson, who seemed like he was being set up to be a recurring and interesting character.

One question though, should I read 21? A friend who had read the series years ago said he read 21 when it came out and kind of regretted it, he said it kind of ended the series on a down note for him, though he didn't really go into why other than he felt it was pretty unfinished. What are the thread's thoughts on it? I'm inclined to not read it based on what I've heard.

Congratulations, you now have ahead of you the best re-reading experience I'm aware of. These books are so rich on re-read because with each passage through you learn how to read them better.

I've posted it before, but Jo Walton had a great series of posts on Tor.com a few years ago, on re-reading these books:

https://www.tor.com/series/re-reading-patrick-obrians-aubrey-maturin-series/

To quote briefly from her post on 21,

quote:

There isn’t much here—this isn’t an unfinished book so much as a barely started one, just a few chapters flapping in the wind. There are some lovely things . . . . But this is thin stuff, pretty much first draft, unrevised, and with only hints of where the story would have taken us.

The thing Peter Weir understood solidly when he made his movie was that Jack and Stephen are best seen in motion, neither beginning nor ending a voyage, in the middle of a commission . . .

We don’t need a conclusion or a culmination or any of the things we’d like in an ordinary series, it is enough that they are forever bailing. There will always be oceans. Stephen will always be causing Jack to almost miss his tide, and Jack will always be saying hurtful things about the Pope, and there will be nondescript birds and strange sails on the horizon, and gun practice, and music on calm evenings, and Killick muttering over the toasted cheese, until they all come to Avalon, by way of Valparaiso Bay.

And the books are there. I shall read them every few years for the rest of my life and be swept out again to sea.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed the Auberyad, and have been on a bit of a Napoleonic Era kick ever since. I was wondering, what is this threads opinion on the Sharpe books? I have heard that they get on the repetitious side of things, but that aside are they worth the time it takes to read them?

As others have said, they're very good, just not great -- better than most historical fiction just not on the same level of prose or characterization as Patrick O'Brian's writing.

They're one of the few series where you probably want to read them in internal chronological order, rather than in the order the author wrote them, because Cornwell plotted Sharpe's whole career out start to finish first, then wrote whichever parts seemed interesting until he'd filled it all in.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Sharpe also bizarrely manages to be at Trafalgar while Aubrey doesnt

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Now I want a tour of Fort Attaboy

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Austen typically is writing with multiple levels of irony -- the character, the narrator, the author, and the reader.

There's an Annotated P&P that I recommend highly

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
it's even worse than that. The main thing getting in Clonfert's way is Clonfert. If he could just. . . chill

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Anyone this deep in this thread, please consider this month's Book of the Month: Renault is the only other writer of historical fiction on O'Brians' level.

https://twitter.com/alloy_dr/status/1653514266266279936?s=20

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Sax Solo posted:

How are they on like writing skills though? O'Brian is meticulous but I think on top of that he's a very deft writer.

No one is quite as subtle a stylist as O'Brian but renault"s character work is on par or maybe superior. She makes you believe you're listening to Theseus, or Alexander, or Socrates.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Grendel posted:

He's definitely presented as unexceptional, money-wise, but he owns a ruined castle and has several tenants at that point, and I seem to recall him claiming to either be worth 10 000 pounds (about a million dollars today), or to have an income of 10 000 pounds a year. By the standards of the rural gentry, that would make him a very respectable catch, though not hugely impressive.

10,000 a year is what D'Arcy is pulling down in Pride and Prejudice; that would make Stephen near-royalty.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Bettany is too tall and too handsome for Maturin, and yeah Bonden isn't a hobbit, but

I mean

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

My mail is here!

I think - it’s been at least five years - I will give Post Captain another go and if I start slipping I will skip ahead.

:getin:

edit: I know the stack is missing books but that’s OK I can fill it in as I go.

This is what I'd suggest. Read as Thou Wilt is the Whole of the Law but Post Captain genuinely is a great book and it sets up a lot of the rest of the series.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
yeah as always if any part of it isn't working just let it wash over you and sail forward

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
You gotta have bad times to make the good times real, my good sea bro

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Think of it! Fresh honey!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

‘The captain is under way’ / ‘He has catted his fish’ what on earth does that mean?

Context? He's launched his boat and is moving forward and has secured his anchor.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

skasion posted:

It's apparently based on a book by Rafael Sabatini, anyone know of him?

He wrote a bunch of good poo poo in that same vein.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

adaptation (haven't seen yet)

What are you doing here, man

Oceans are now Battlefields!

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

StrixNebulosa posted:

I don't want to picture Russell Crowe as Aubrey in my head while I'm reading :(

Ok fair

Bettany's Maturin is the bigger issue though, too tall and too pretty

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
The Sharpe TV series isn't bad at all.

My favorite bit was when they put the French soldiers in historically accurate floppy chef hats

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Second Geoghan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Phenotype posted:

https://twitter.com/StephenKing/status/1768291733249327389

Well, this is kinda cool. They named a newly-discovered giant turtle after the god-turtle Maturin in the Stephen King novels, who in turn was named after Stephen Maturin from the Aubrey-Maturin novels.

So in a way, Stephen Maturin ends up with his own little bit of immortality just like Jack does, in-universe, with testudo aubreii.

I'm literally tearing up this is so nice