Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Just purchased Master and Commander and Post Captain at the bookstore last night. Since I was a little kid I always had an interest in naval history and warfare to various degrees, so it would seem I am in for a treat. First time reading this series.

Unfortunately, they didn't have A Sea of Words or anything, so I imagine I will be zoning out a bit once the nautical terms really start picking up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pixelbaron
Mar 18, 2009

~ Notice me, Shempai! ~
Finished Master & Commander and have just jumped into Post Captain. Really amazing journey so far. I had a couple of starts and stops with the first book (can't tell you how many times I read that opening concert scene), but once they got out to sea the pages flew by and I was hooked. I ended up buying Sea of Words and Harbours and High Seas, the latter being nice because it is sometimes hard to picture where they are at currently.

While I found most of the scenes on shore in the first book boring, it's completely different in Post Captain and I am enjoying the change of pace.

I think I am going to buy a used copy of Stephen Biesty's Cross-Sections: Man-Of-War, it's a "childrens" book that I remember getting all the time in the library, and would probably come in handy for visualizing the life on a ship.