Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

Probably my favorite book series. I'm up to the Wine-Dark Sea this time around. If I were to pick one favorite it'd probably be The Ionian Mission, Jack at that point has a fair bit of prestige (he's been promised the Ajax, 44, and is going to be taking her to the prestigious North American station) and is basically killing time with a lovely old 74 while he's waiting for her to come off the docks. So you get to see this neat interplay between the old Surprises and the drafts from other ships that make up the other 500-odd of the Worcester's crew, with the old hands explaining how the doctor would charge you ten guineas for this on land, so you're lucky you're at sea, mate, and so on.

One thing I'm curious about : did any of the rest of you goons know how to sail before you started reading these? I grew up racing small sailboats with my dad, so I pretty much knew what most of the rigging and sails were going in. (A modern sloop doesn't have royals but they do have jibs and halyards, for example)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU