Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I think its the way all of o'briens descriptions are really understated, and you kind of add the humour to it yourself, I dont really know how else to describe it. Its probably the single thing for me that really sets his writing aside, and I've never read any other author that manages to pull it off quite like he does.

Also, get it right guys, it was the mainyard, not a mast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Smashurbanipal posted:

It's interesting that while the Aubrey-Maturin novels are better, in my mind, as a series than the Hornblower books, there is no stand alone spectacular read. Granted, Master and Commander is a great, but doesn't compare to say Beat to Quarters or Ship of the Line as complete novel.

Thats just because they are all so good. :colbert:

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
I take it cocoa leaves is basicaly unrefined cocaine?

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Smashurbanipal posted:

It was not a given that either would die attacking the Cacafuego.

Speaking of that though, Flamepoop or Fireshit?

No, but had they both survived they would have probably not fought, as they would each have proven their bravery to each other anyway. As for whether or not it was part of Jacks motivation, probably, but I doubt he would be conciously aware of it. But being at odds with his lieutenant and his general depresion at the time would surely contribute to deciding to go ahead with something extremely reckless even by the young Jack's standards.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009
No, its incredibly depresing, it just makes you feel so bad for PoB as he was obviously strugling to finish this book in the last stages of his life. Its a disjointed collection of drafts and notes put together by someone else (his son?) but you'll finish it and wish you'd never touched it.