Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
I was recently compelled to seek out Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World. It is emphatically not a good movie, and a poor adaptation, but anyone who's having trouble wading through the dense technical language of the novels should find it worthwhile viewing. Russell Crowe is a perfect Aubrey, too, which makes me sorry that the film isn't better and they didn't make more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Far too corny and false in the usual Hollywood way (the books were never this maudlin), some execrably constructed action sequences, and a lamentable botch of Maturin's character in nearly every aspect. It's lovely to look at, though, and I was never bored. The good moments were very good indeed, I just wish there had been more of them.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
One bit I did love was the dinner. I love the dinners in the books so much, and the movie captured a very good flavor there (Jack devouring his Acheron made me laugh out loud, a rare accomplishment))

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
If you've finished the Aubrey/Maturin titles, don't forget to read The Unknown Shore. I think it's one of O'Brian's funniest books, though the main characters (recognizable prototypes of Jack and Stephen) suffer HORRIBLY throughout the second half of the story. A slightly different flavor overall, still really good stuff.