Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

willbender
Apr 26, 2010
Thank you for making this thread. Patrick O'brian helped me sail through many a day of data entering drudgery after I found his books on tape at my library a decade ago. After I finally gave Master and Commander a try I realized I was almost looking forward to going into work so I could find out what adventures Jack and Stephen would be going on that day.

One thing I enjoyed discovering from these books is how many of our sayings come out of British naval tradition. "let the cat out of the bag" "the devil to pay (and no pitch hot)" "by and large" - you could easily come up with dozens of of these sayings, most still in common use, passed down from the British navy.

Now that I am actually reading throughout the series I am finding many things, sometimes entire subtexts that I missed the first time listening to the books. It is a pleasure to read a book written by a master who so clearly loves the characters they are creating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU