Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

builds character posted:

Wasn’t there a local squire that Diana and maybe someone else introduced her to? I could have sworn it’s implied that she figures things out with him.

I think Clarissa is part of that as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

jerman999 posted:

I mean Stephen did ambush, kill, and dissect two dudes in the jungle, the latter part perhaps good for eliminating evidence but maybe extreme?

I never took that as a clever ruse to dispose of the evidence, but just Stephen's love of dissecting cadavers (recall his prior complaints about the price of bodies, and the remarks about how they are so often in poor condition).

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Which book was it where Jack is a little aghast at Stephen cleaning out the Marine officer at cards? That scene came back to my head and made me smile.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Notahippie posted:

I've always appreciated how one of the times you see him absolutely lose his poo poo and order a flogging immediately was watching a sullen sailor fail to (salute? "make his obedience"? anyway, do something to acknowledge an officer) while passing a disliked officer on a narrow gangway. It's a reminder of how rigid and absolute some aspects of life aboard ship was and how there were some things that everybody was okay with a little bit of flexibility around and how some seemingly innocent actions were fundamentally Not Done.

I'm pretty sure Jack's reasoning here is that while some offenses can be handled with a lighter touch, anything that even whiffs of a degradation of Authority has to be put down immediately, or else risk things degrading into a mutiny later on.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
I'm curious, what was the fastest a man of war in Aubrey's time could go? Early on, the books make it seem like ten or eleven knots is a rare feat of speed, but such paces seem to get more frequent as time goes on, and I think at one point O'Brien mentions 15 knots.

Obviously it depends a lot on the vessel and the arrangement of sail and stowage, but it's one of those things that I wonder how much was speculative on O'Brien's part and how much came out of the logs he was poring over.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Wait bigger ships can go faster?

. . .I think I had picked that up actually but it's still weird

I think it's basically leverage; remember those scenes where they're racing along and the foam is at the fore mainchains and the deck is tilted? The harder the wind pushes on the sails, the further it tips the ship forward, so at some point you'd just push the ship into the sea. A longer ship takes more force to achieve the same degree of tilt.

I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Oh yeah also what someone said about taller masts still catching the wind in rough seas.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Sax Solo posted:

Conversational questions carry with them some implied right to know the answer.

Especially in a society with more exposure to hierarchy and authority, I can see it rankling. Questioning is what you do to a servant who has hosed up and might be trying to evade notice. So who the gently caress are you to question me?

You are impertinent to ask who I am, sir! My second shall call upon yours forthwith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Arglebargle III posted:

Wow, I had this image of them administering literal iron filings. Maybe that's never supported in the text!

Yeah count me in for also not realizing steel meant blood-letting