Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010
I have a question for those of you who have read these books before. Yesterday, I was lucky enough to find a used copy of "The Far Side of the World" and since I've read and liked "Master and Commander", I picked it up. However, I later learned that this is actually the 10th book in the series, something that wasn't indicated on the back of the cover. My question is this: Is it necessary that I read the previous books in the series in order to understand the plot of this one, or can I jump right into it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010
Thanks for all the help, guys. All things considered, I think I'll follow your advice and read them in order, so as not to miss out on anything important.

Faude Carfilhiot
Sep 6, 2010
In other news; I just finished "Post Captain" from my local library, but thought it ended rather abruptly. Anyway, it turns out that the swedish translation is split up into two separate volumes, for some reason. So, now I have to hope that the library has the second part as well.

As for the book itself, so far I like it. On one hand, Aubrey and Maturin spends alot more time on land than on a ship and I'm not sure how I feel about that. On the other hand, the new characters such as Diana Villiers and Mr. Canning are pretty interesting and I hope to see more of them. I also loved the part when, during the temporary peace between England and France, Aubrey has dinner with Christy-Palliére and the latter gets a message that a mysterious individual has been snooping around. Anyway, Aubrey deduces that this guy is Maturin and finds it extremely funny that the french suspects the harmless doctor of being a spy.