Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I own all the books and all the Tull audiobooks.

I love the books and they do let you absorb things at your own pace, put the book down and go look something up and etc... but the Tull audiobooks are great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
That would be Cochrane. O'Brian was not shy about saying he modeled a huge part of Aubrey and his adventures on him. Starting with Speedy vs El Gamo (which was known as Cacafuego). Interestingly Cochrane had several more impressive exploits in real life that didn't make it in. Probably because no reader would believe that one person had done so much and yet could still be ignored/poo poo on by the higher authorities.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I though the nobility was on his Catalonian side?

Both sides. His Irish cousin Edward that he refers to from the revolution is the fifth son of a Duke. It's left to the reader as to which son of the Duke Stephen is descended from but it would have to be one of the older ones since he was of an age with Edward.

Its not clear which family on his mothers side he's related to but they are obviously wealthy and influential.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Octy posted:

Well, it still seems odd that Jack wouldn't interact with them if they're guarding his cabin and what not, although that's about the only time I can think of that he specifically refers to them. At any rate, it sounds like they had a relatively easy job. Not many opportunities for misadventure outside of combat, I suppose.

From a while back but, the Marines were kept as separate from the crew as possible so that they could be relied upon to act against people they otherwise may have known for years. Marines did help with the chores around the ship, even the sailing, but they did it through their own separate chain of command. Jack probably would never have occasion to talk to any of the enlisted Marines, even in an official capacity. The ships officers probably had the authority to give direct orders to the Marine enlisted but it would certainly be a big political problem to do so under any but the direst of circumstances. Pretty much everything requested would be formal through the chain of command.

Also the standing orders for someone on guard duty going all the way back to Napoleonic times is to not engage in conversation, even with senior officers other than to report your status, because otherwise you ain't keep a watchful eye guarding is ya? So, even the guard at the door is kind of a non-entity if he is doing his job right.

As far as it being an easy job, I doubt it. Being a sailor is a valuable skill and even as brutal as Navy discipline is known to be most of the time there was a certain amount of respect for an old hand, especially the warrants. Your typical enlisted Marine would be another rung or two down the social ladder and kept busy and under strict discipline.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PerilPastry posted:

If you want to buy Jack's dress uniform Russel Crowe is selling a bunch of props and accoutrements from his movies
https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/list/AU0822/34

I just hope whoever adopts Killick gives him a loving forever home

You can own the Surprise

https://www.sothebysaustralia.com.au/list/AU0822/162

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PlushCow posted:

I tried reading P&P because of this thread but stopped a bit after 1/3rd of the way through; I think my brain needs a bit of action and danger in a novel to keep it going. I did find P&P witty and clever and, because of O'Brian I think, pretty accessible and plan to give it another go someday. If I'd tried to read P&P before getting totally absorbed by O'Brian I don't think I would've made it past the first few pages.

Interestingly Jane Austin’s older brother, Sir Fancis Austin, was a very successful officer in the RN who took 40 prizes and was involved in a number of actions and eventually rose to Admiral of the Fleet.

Her younger brother Charles Austin was also a very accomplished RN officer active throughout the napoleanic wars.

So, she could probably have written a rousing good sea yarn if she’d had the inclination.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I just realized that Maturin kills all of Diana's known lovers except for Jack, although he was going to.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Doesn’t he kill Johnson? Who is it he kills while going through the desk?

Pretty sure that she attempts to seduce him but he refuses in such a perfectly gentlemanly way that she doesn’t realize it until she’s living in seclusion in his outbuilding.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
An interesting thing I discovered recently is that during the Napoleonic Wars a surgeon on a British man of war was the 2nd highest paid person on the ship after the captain. Potentially far more than a 1st lieutenant or master.

It’s conceivable that a senior surgeon on a 3rd or 4th rate may have had a higher income than its captain as surgeons were paid by seniority and captains by the seniority of their command.

Leads me to think that surgeons on ship were probably treated with a lot of deference by even the commissioned officers. It’s hard to come it high over someone when the service values them more than you by a considerable margin.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Probably Edward Pellew. Cochrane gets all the love but there's a lot of Pellew in Jack's actions.

One day when tracing through an action to see who was really involved I came across a link to short summary of one of the captains careers. Over his long career he took many prizes and was involved in numbers of single ship and fleet actions and was wounded many times and described as being pretty much covered in scar tissue. Made admiral in 1847.

Just another Napoleonic era sea captain in the RN.

e: Found it, Josiah Willoughby who actually captained the Neriede during the Mauritius campaign

https://en.wikisource.org/wiki/A_Naval_Biographical_Dictionary/Willoughby,_Nesbit_Josiah

Murgos fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 17, 2018

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
In The Far Side of the World Dr. Butcher is telling Martin about how he is a master of trephination and states that,

"Mrs Butcher complained continuously of headaches and I trephined her and she hasn't complained since."

For some reason I just always accepted this as he cured her, it took my until my 5th (?) reread to get it.

Also, how utterly horrible.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

withak posted:

Obviously she learned that if she complains then she gets a hole drilled in her skull so she stopped complaining.

Yeah this was my reading.

Strapped to a chair, probably gagged, scalp cut open to the bone, a hole cut in the skull with a saw and then a plate nailed over it and sewn up. While conscious.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
I wasn’t ascribing nefarious motive.

Yet the act is still what it is and the patient will still understand that the consequences of continued symptoms.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Nuclear War posted:

So I've been through this thread and since I've read the books through like three times I figured 'get the audio books everyone's going on about' but Audible doesn't have the Tull versions. I'm shattered. Are the other narrators alright?

I have the entire set narrated by Tull in my audible app.

https://www.amazon.com/Master-Commander-Aubrey-Maturin-Book/dp/B0001BJED2/ref=tmm_aud_title_1?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1529421270&sr=8-3

On amazon, go to see all versions and select "Audible Unabridged" and there will be two choices, one from 2004 and one from 2010.

Patrick Tull is the 2004 edition.

Simon Vance is 2010.

I've listened to a few of the Simon Vance editions, he's fine but Tull is magic.

e: never listened to Ric Jerrom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
So, by the end of the series Pullings is a post-captain and must be pretty well off financially even only getting a fraction of an eighth for most of Aubrey’s prizes (the cruise in the pacific as surprises captain must have been really lucrative) and also only in his early to mid-30s since we meet him as a gangly teenager in 1801 and the books never make it much past 1815.