Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

CarterUSM posted:

Just started rereading the series (for probably the fifth time). I always forget about the bees (NOT THE BEES) that Stephen brings aboard at the end of "Post Captain", when Jack gets his acting command on the Lively. Never fails to make me laugh, the rough, tough sailors losing their poo poo over a paltry sixty thousand or so bees:

Jack had the door-handle; he opened it a crack and glided swiftly through. "Killick!" he shouted, beating at his clothes.

"Sir?"

"Go and help the Doctor. Bear a hand now."

"I dursn't," said Killick.

"You don't mean to tell me you are afraid, a man-of-war's man?"

"Yes I am, sir."

"Well, clear the fore-cabin and lay the cloth there..."

Also, Jack's hilarious way of constantly referring to them as "reptiles".

And a little later, O'Brian makes a joke, an offhand reference to them that had me in tears. It's when they've docked, and Jack is still being sought by the "bums" who will throw him into debtor's prison, if they should catch him on land. Someone asks Jack if he will be going ashore:

"No. Killick will go to pick up my coxswain and some stores and salve against bee-stings; but I shall stay aboard."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I second that. Six Frigates is great.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Colonial Air Force posted:

I gave up on Hornblower, although it owes more to the dude reading the audiobook than anything else.

In other news, Naval Action is starting Early Access soon, and it looks like Goons are forming a clan.

Wow... I had not heard about this game at all, and it sounds like exactly what I've been wanting for years. Thanks for the heads-up!

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

It’s also the buildup that makes it great. While they are in port in Brazil, they see the other ship that has been savaged by the Dutch 74. Then later sighting a ship, Jack thinks it might be the same Dutch ship, but he isn’t sure.

Then the attempts to lose the 74 at night, with the Dutch captain thinking right along with Jack, and each day at sunrise he’s right there, not falling for Jack’s tricks. Followed by the long chase into worsening weather, etc., culminating with the shot hitting the mast. Man.

I think it’s maybe my favorite few dozen pages of any novel, ever.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

One thing I felt they changed in the film, was Jack's goofiness. In the books he's a hell of a tactician and sailor, but often fairly incompetent when it comes to actual non-naval relations to other human beings. Always sticking his foot in his mouth, whereas Crowe comes across as quite the debonair social butterfly, IMO.

Book Jack loves awful, awful puns, as an example. He does use one pun in the film, but it's a fantastic one.

I suspect these differences were due to the old Hollywood thing where A-list actor doesn't want to be written as a buffoon, you've got to make him an alpha in all ways.

MrMojok fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Aug 12, 2020

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I loved that deleted scene of Stephen knocking his head on the overhang as he makes his exit from scene. Though I realize this aspect of the books wasn't what they were going for with the film.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

He says he won't read all twenty books just maybe the first three

This was me, several years back. I'd just seen the film, and I had always heard a lot about the books, and decided I'd read the first one, "just to see what it's like."

I was reading on my kindle, and as I recall I read it over several hours one night, went to sleep, woke up the next day and immediately started reading until the end. And as soon as I was done, I bought the second one and downloaded and started it immediately.

I think it was about a week and a half later and I was on book seven. Did nothing else but read these, work, and sleep, for a long time.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Amazon or Netflix series adapting 2-3 books per season would be ideal, but it’s such a niche subject. People like us ITT love it but really there aren’t too many of us.

Also filming on the water is insanely challenging and difficult. So you guys saying it would have to be a ton of VFX are right.

It may be a bit too pessimistic, but I think the best we might hope for is a feature film about the life of Lord Nelson* or something like that. A large studio might view a big-budget period piece single film, as a better possibility for profit than a cable series.

*- I may or may not have been half-heartedly working on something like this for a few years

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Just watched the movie, for the first time in a few years.

Even after all this time I’m still stunned at what a great job they did with it. I think it’s just a wonderful film.

Has anyone here ever played that game Naval Action. I had my eye on it for a while several years back, but never bought it. I was wondering how it is these days, if there are people still online, etc.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

I know the timeline is pretty nebulous, but this one does put it about then.

quote:

HMS Surprise

Dec 24, 1804: Spain declares war on England. Nelson is blockading Toulon, but Villeneuve's fleet evades him in late March 1805, starting the chain of events that will lead to the battle of Trafalgar in October .

The book begins shortly after the capture of the Spanish treasure in late autumn of 1804 (last leaves on the trees). Lord Melville has been replaced (Melville actually served from May 1804 to April 30, 1805). Jack is on blockade duty off Toulon under Nelson. He leaves the blockade to go to Port Mahon to rescue Stephen. This must be before the end of March 1805 (Villeneuve escapes blockade).

Oct 21, 1805: Battle of Trafalgar
Jan. 1806: British retake Cape Town

The remainder of the book is not tied very strongly to any actual events. SURPRISE probably sails for East Indies in the spring of 1805.

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

“Jack Aubrey in the countryside” like it’s a Jane Austen novel is in many ways one of the greatest moments of the series IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

Which it is real examples of cursing in the old west:

https://www.notesfromthefrontier.com/amp/frontier-cussing

quote:

Calling someone a “flannel-mouthed chiseling chuckleheaded gadabout coffee boiler” meant they were a no good, smooth-talking, dishonest, ignorant, jawflapping, lazy rear end. A “rag-propered lickfingers” was an over-dressed rear end-kisser.