Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Speaking of La Fléche, McLean was definitely responsible for the fire onboard, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

Phenotype posted:

Almost finished with my latest readthrough, and realized I had a couple questions about The Hundred Days. What was the Surprise doing all this time? Just sitting docked at Shelmerston? It feels like a period of at least a year or two has gone by, since Jack was on the beach for a bit, then was given Bellona and sent after the slavers, then spent some time on the Brest blockade. But he's immediately got a full crew of well-trained seamen that embarrasses the Pomone with their gunnery exhibition when he's given the squadron at Funchal in The Hundred Days.

And how did Maturin get back his wealth? Last I remember reading was that it had been seized in Spain, but then halfway through the book he's meeting with Sir Joseph and they're talking about how Maturin is a wealthy man again. I tried to read back but couldn't find a passage explaining it.

In The Yellow Admiral there's a chunk of the book about fitting out the Surprise for the trip to Chile. Before that I think you're right and it was docked in Shelmerston.

And Stephen gets access to his wealth again at some point after foiling the burglary attempt by the Spanish agent, I don't recall if they go into more detail

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

In addition to what SimonSays pointed out, Diana very much has family at the start of the series, in the form of the Williams family. Mrs. Williams houses Diana and expresses a willingness to provide her with more if Diana will clear the field for Sophie.

Napoleon Nelson
Nov 8, 2012

I'm rereading The Far Side of the World and O'Brian really goes of out of his way to crap on Buenos Aires specifically and Argentina more generally. Does anyone know if that's true to the time period or more reflective of British sentiment around the time of the Falklands War when the book was being written?