Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

PlushCow posted:

It's pretty funny how often these nonfiction books reference O'Brien's novels as inspiration for writing said book, or as in Six Frigates about the novel having a nearly accurate description of the battle.

I live in Boston and I've seen the USS Constitution, and I still feel like I never really understood the battle with HMS Java until I read the description in Fortune of War.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I just finished HMS Surprise for the 5th time. I'm at the point where I can grab a book at any point in the series at random and just really, really enjoy it. This really is the ultimate bromance series.

Yeah, I think that one is my favorite in the series. Letter of Marque is probably my second favorite.

I love the battles and descriptions of sailing, but the best moments for me are Stephen's tortured and introspective moments when he's dealing with Diana.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

CarterUSM posted:

I love the oblique reference to John James Audubon when Johnson is trying to give Maturin a gift of ornithological prints, referring to "A young Frenchman I met on the Ohio River, a Creole, very talented..."

I've read the series through several times and I never caught this. :aaa:

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

bollig posted:

Hey so, while I am not completely prepared to break my 'one book by an author a year' rule, I was thinking that maybe I could read a non-fiction book pertaining to the age of sail.

Six Frigates

Colonial Air Force posted:

I would definitely read at least one of the books before watching the film, just so you understand that the casting is drat near perfect for every character EXCEPT Maturin. We've discussed it earlier in the thread, and certainly Paul Bettany is a fine actor, but I always pictured Maturin more Catalonian than Irish.

Killick in particular was perfect.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

I saw a (mounted) Potto and a Hoopoe in a natural history museum last week, and now I know why Stephen was so excited about them.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Pishtaco posted:

Largely inspired by these books, I have been working on a frigate simulator.

I just released a build: https://thapen.itch.io/painted-ocean

It's fairly bare-bones, and I don't guarantee its realism, but it does give an idea how these ships function. You can maneuver in the wind; there is weather and terrain for the world for a year; there is time acceleration, if you want to sail across the Atlantic; and you can set up frigate actions. If you want to lose your foremast and shoot up into the wind, now you can.

Holy poo poo, this is amazing

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Sax Solo posted:

Like, the movie's all right, it has some good things! It has a kind of "Rah rah our boys at sea" tone to the ending which is kind of terrible and a painful clash with POB's cynicism. Coming out in 2003 with the buildup to war in Iraq there was a bit of contextual stink to it that probably can't be felt now. Otherwise though the choice of HOW to end it is very good.

I think Weir originally wanted the Acheron to be an American frigate, but the studio was concerned about audiences being confused.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, if you enjoy the first book then the series is really going to be a treat for you. O'Brian really hits his stride a couple books in.