Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Notahippie posted:

There's two big shifts in his character between M&C and Post Captain. His relative wealth/inheritance in Spain* and the fact that he's suddenly an intelligence agent for the British Government where in M&C there's no hint of it an in fact he explicitly says that he's completely done with politics of all stripes. My take has always been that these changes are less a reflection of changes in his thinking as a person, and instead they're changes that O'Brien made when he decided to turn a one-off book into a series. I think the two changes give him a lot more plot hooks to develop and O'Brien inserted them for authorial strategy reasons rather than natural character development.

*Catalonia

Yeah, that's my reading of it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Tias posted:

Tag for following. I've only just started reading Master and Commander, is there commentary on it in this thread somewhere? I'm having a lot of trouble getting the slang.

Here are translations for the foreign phrases: http://www.saignon.org/FINE%20BOOKS/PERPLEXED/CLASSIC/Classic2004.htm

For the ship parts I just used google. There are some guide books too, but I haven't read them.

e: and here are the various Aubreyisms explained: https://hmssurprise.org/aubreyisms

ChubbyChecker fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Jun 24, 2020

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Molybdenum posted:

ive said this before but this series of books was my first introduction into the genre as a whole. after obrian i read the dudley pope series, cs forester and now im reading bernard cornwall's sharpe novels. i feel like im always chasing the high i got from reading obrian and i may never get it again except for the inevitable re-reads.

exactly the same thing happened to me

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Strange and Norrell is one of my favorite books. It's very much a manners comedy, like O'Brian, Austen, etc, so if you enjoy the humor from the latter two, I think you'll enjoy Strange and Norrell.

Sharpe I enjoy for the history of battles (Cornwell always does great research) and the battles are exciting but I can only read a little bit of Sharpe at a time. Every book is basically the same. A haughty new officer hates Sharpe. A new foe appears. A new woman appears. Sharpe fights the new officer. In order to get out of trouble, he has to undertake some impossible John Wick-ian task involving the new foe (or the officer if he's the main villain) in a big battle. Rinse and repeat, every book.

yeah, and he has the same format in his viking books

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

I'm far from the only person who has noticed this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=sharpe+formula+cornwell

Not saying Sharpe novels aren't entertaining, they're certainly a cut above most historical fiction. But there is definitely a heavily recurring story structure.

Also I just realized we're talking other historical fiction and no one has mentioned Flashman

there's also an ancient front page article: https://www.somethingawful.com/awful-movie-database/sharpes-piss-pot/

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

That's fuckin great!

And yeah Sharpe is formulaic but that's the charm. Cornwell is definitely dumbed down a bit from O'Brian but he's technically competent in a way most historical fiction authors just aren't.

We do have an ongoing Let's Read of Flashman right now! https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3894423

:nice:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

What a bunch of prudes we've become.

And jerks (we've become). The loss of formal dinner is quite the tragedy.

Is this a project Gutenberg recreation or just fake? It starts off with a couple of long s characters but the rest are clearly 'f'. The crossbar can be seen and there are f ligatures in places. Feems quite inconfiftent.

Was this an 18th century "cool ftory bro"? :fork:

no idea, i found it in the cursed pics thread

and formal dinners haven't disappeared, and no one is stopping you from organizing one

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It really freaks me out every time I remember the current head of the FBI is a Mr. Wray :ohdear:

haha

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Patrick Tull's narration

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Yeah it's definitely skipped and there are plenty of opportunities. At one point I went through some of the battles and there are places where impossible directions are given, and others where the behavior of the vessel seems contradictory.

See "mechanism" https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ship%27s_wheel

Could you post some examples.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sax Solo posted:

(That ships' wheel gif was still hosed so I fixed it up, lol ... Can't wait to be wrong, or to be right and still the wiki fuckers out-stubborn me.)

I found out years ago that it's useless to try and fix errors in Wikipedia since some wikilord sitting on the article will just revert it back.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

What do these people watch?

probably disney and marvel ips

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Master and Commander is currently free to watch if you have Amazon Prime.

all movies are free to watch if you have a vpn

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Stringent posted:

How is it if you've read the books? I remember seeing a snippet of it and wasn't too impressed.

It's great. There were some things that weren't perfect, eg. a hobbit Bonden, and Aubrey should have been more jolly, and Maturin more religious, but it's still one of the best adaptations that I've ever seen. The ship sounds so alive if you have a surround system. And she looks great too. I wouldn't recommend watching it from a cell phone.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

I think Maturin is actually cast well, but having listened to all the Patrick Tull audiobooks of the series, I can't here the doctor in any voice but Tull's. It's a shame it didn't turn into a longer series-you would think a huge chunk of the cost was getting the ship built and once they had that it would be much cheaper to make subsequent movies or shows.

Yeah, apart from Bonden the cast was good to great. Maybe Awkward Davies could have been bigger. And Killick was absolutely perfect.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

builds character posted:

I love it too and, going back to hornblower chat too, I haven't found anything that scratches quite the same itch. There are other books that are also good and I enjoy (and I read a couple of the hornblowers and they were fine books) but nothing I love in the same way as these.

absolutely same

i read some bolithos too: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Bolitho_novels

i've tried chasing the same high but nothing really compares

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Sax Solo posted:

Yeah it's my favorite of the books I think. Some people criticize it of being derivative of Austen. I don't think it is, and to the extent it may be -- well, I like Austen too!

in my first read through i didn't much care for it, but on the second time i kinda liked it

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Finally after twenty years of attempts I convinced someone I know offline to actually read Master and Commander

They asked me the other day "wait, did Jack . . .deliberately break his ship?"

"Remember how the harbor master wouldn't give him new stuff?"

"Ohh, ok, I suspected that but I didn't *know* it"

Then he started talking about how amazed he was at O'Brian's contempt for the concept of explanation

He says he won't read all twenty books just maybe the first three

But he's so hooked

Said his favorite joke so far was how Jack had apparently been ordering dishes in Spanish, on an island that spoke Catalan, for months, without realizing

post his takes on the next 20 books

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

Sailing question: where is the half-deck exactly?

before the quarterdeck or after the forecastle

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Beefeater1980 posted:

Black Sails managed, somehow, and it has great naval shots and battles.

it was a horrible show

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Genghis Cohen posted:

While it certainly made an effort on atmosphere and had good production values, I rather agree this show was pure schlock in terms of plot. I couldn't take the interminable monologues by every character going on and on about their convoluted plans and quasi-philosophical worldview. Stop arranging alliances and immediately double-crossing each other and then reconciling god drat it!

Tias posted:

Seriously. Every pirate on it looks like some Jersey Shore spray tanned brawndo, and they clearly borrowed the Vikings people on set and costume design :eng99:

i'm very much into pirate and ship shows and really wanted to like the black sails, but i had to bow out in the first episode

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

builds character posted:

Have I got the movie for you! Similar era to Aubrey and Maturin too.

https://youtu.be/05AHp8MgSjk

hah

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Class Warcraft posted:

The book is actually pro-fascist.

no, but it's a widespread belief

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Class Warcraft posted:

I'm not inclined to give Heinlein: a rabid anti-communist, proponent of nuclear testing, and pro-war partisan the benefit of the doubt, but you do you.

starship troopers isn't a good book, and heinlein wasn't a good person, but that still doesn't make the book or the author fascist, "but you do you"

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Class Warcraft posted:

Thank you Heinlein Defender, for correcting everyone else’s interpretation of a book

perhaps you should learn to read

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Class Warcraft posted:

Here is a pro-tip: no one needs you here to arbitrate opinions about lovely right-wing sci-fi authors.

Some people look at Heinleins work and see a lot of fascist garbage. You don’t, whatever, fine, but that doesn’t make your opinion any more valid than anyone else’s.

do you often get this angry when people don't share your opinions?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mr. Mambold posted:

If he'd stopped at the Russian border and decided to consolidate a continental European Union and eventually made peace with Britain, he coulda been a contendah for George Washington of Europe instead of a megalomaniacal bum, which is what he was, let's face it.

Why would the Brits have made peace with him? And Napoleon's consolidation wasn't working very well in Spain.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Mr. Mambold posted:

Who knows, it's all speculative, ain't it. He didn't have a realistic end-game, and from all accounts he was a mediocre chess player.

At the end of the day, the British are pragmatic. They and France were the two biggest empires, Great Britain was bleeding out from the war worse than France from what I've read; the East India Company was being raided.
Britain was also already a constitutional monarchy. They'd made a peace with the U.S. and quickly resumed trade relations. Britain and France had duked it out for 700 years. Eventually, it ends one way or another.

If Napoleon doesn't invade Russia, he's got way more than enough army and resources to keep insurrections in Spain to a minimum. Maybe he recognizes Catalonia as a separate nation? He recognizes at some point that semi-autonomy for Prussia, Italy, etc. is far better than keeping standing armies everywhere.

None of which were my original point.

Nappy sending more troops to Spain wouldn't have helped much, because he already had huge troubles supplying the troops that were already there. If he had just sent his massive Russian invasion force to Spain, they would just have starved there. Britain didn't lose much in the short term from losing the 13 colonies, because they they could reap most of the benefits from trading, and they weren't an existential threat, unlike Napoleonic France. The most important colonies were the sugar producing Caribbean ones. You are quite correct that Napoleon didn't have a realistic end goal, and he would just have kept on gambling with invasions until he lost.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Deeters posted:

Ahoy, thread. I finally read Master and Commander last year, loved it, and picked up the next few. I'm currently in the middle of HMS Surprise. I went down to the local library's book sale today and walked away with all this for $12.

I might have to go back tomorrow because they were spread out around like 20 tables. They just kept appearing as I was walking.

a nice haul!

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

might have to try that

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Arglebargle III posted:

I don't agree I don't see Dylan as a villain and I don't think Maturin is a loyalist. Padeen doesn't have any political ideology. A failed Irish revolutionary being active in later independence movements around the world is very realistic.

maturin in the first book and in the rest is essentially a different character

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

builds character posted:

Jack is miss piggy.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phy posted:

Laudanum Stephen

Cocaine Stephen

Sober Stephen

Stephen stepping off the boat at Pulo Prabang after practicing with a rifle for the entire sailing

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

wouldn't all the triangular sails before the foremast be jibs?

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

A Proper Uppercut posted:

I recently started reading this series. Or rather, listening to the audiobooks. I've listened to a lot but I think this is easily the best narration I've ever heard, it really brings things alive.

I'm just getting into Post Captain now, and I have two notes so far -

Hearing a delightful British man read about a great big horse fart had me laughing for 10 minutes. And then the line of "I thought it was the horse".

And it seems like poor Maturin is getting friendzoned.

Yeah, Patrick Tull is amazing.

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

Been cleaning out my grandmother's house after she moved to a smaller place and found these:

Very cool old engravings of ships from different countries and relevant to this thread. There are 6 in total and she's taking the other 4 with her, but maybe they'll come to me some day. My Italian isn't very good and I can't find a date, but I think they're likely 18th century. I can't remember if the other four are all frigates too. My grandfather sailed all his life and was in the navy in WW2 and then an engineer that worked in shipbuilding, his father and grandfather were both ship's captains in the late 19th/early 20th C. My dad says he has my great-grandfather's sextant somewhere-it would be really cool to figure out how to use it.

:nice:

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Phenotype posted:

You certainly were. I started with O'Brian, and he's just head and shoulders above any other similar fiction I've tried. Hornblower is probably closest for verisimilitude, but he's such a closed-off, dull person that his books are nowhere near as much fun, and they don't go as deeply into life ashore, either. I've also tried the Alan Lewrie books, which seem like the other extreme -- he's an interesting character who does a lot of fun things, but his books are kinda trashy and nowhere near as immersive.

Tried Sharpe too, actually, but the army stuff isn't as fun as the stuff they get up to at sea, and after reading 3-4 of them you really notice how similar and shallow they are, just fun adventure stories without much meat to them.

p much yeah

haven't tried lewrie's books, but i read some bolithos and had to quit because they just weren't the real deal

bernard cornwell's other series have the same characters and plots too, regardless if they're set in viking era or whatever

i still like them, but you can't really read them all one after another

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

It’s not at all historical but Susanna Clarke’s Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell scratches some of the same itch as the Aubrey-Maturin series for me. It’s fantasy-ish, but very well written and totally engaged with its period and setting in a similar way as POB.

it's excellent