Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

i81icu812 posted:

So what is the best way to get the full series of these books? I know the full hardcover print has some unfortunate typos: http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Aubrey-Maturin-Novels-volumes/dp/039306011X

The softcovers form a nice set of pictures on the shelf. I have all of them on my Kindle but I've been rebuying the softcovers as I read through them again (just up to HMS Surprise) specifically for that reason.

You can see an example here: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/patrick-obrians-aubrey-maturin-series-patrick-obrian/1113863780?ean=9780393339659

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Speaking of TV series, I liked Master and Commander the movie and all, but I would kill for an HBO-style miniseries of these books.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
These are my favorite books ever but they do have some slow parts. There are some sections where POB wants to go into particulars of Royal Navy custom or English country life in a bit too much detail. Also if you read them straight through, remember that they came out years apart so I imagine he had to fluff things a bit to keep people up to date with the setting. That said, they do work incredibly well read back-to-back, in a few cases picking up right where the last one left off.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
It's surprising because there is definitely a contingent out there that dislikes the movie greatly. I liked it and didn't mind it as a mashup of three books. It's probably the best we're going to get anytime soon, which is also how I felt about the LOTR movies.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Octy posted:

Having re-watched the film just now, I agree. It was a struggle to finish whereas I rather enjoyed it when it came out, although I hadn't read the books.

Here's a question: what was the function of the marines on board a navy ship (beyond the obvious) and how did they fit into the command structure? I'm reading The Far Side of the World again and there's a part where everyone is lined up for divisions. Jack is surveying everyone when he comes to the marines and his internal monologue goes along the lines of how their faces are impersonal and nameless despite having sailed with them for months. I understand they have their own commanding officer - in this instance, Howard - but what were their actual day-to-day duties? It certainly sounds like they're not helping sail the ship and are rather clustered away elsewhere for Jack to not know them.

The Marines are a detachment aboard ship with their own officers. Usually the head is a captain, who reports directly to the ship's captain. Probably a lieutenant on smaller ships (I want to say it was one on the Sophie). As stated above, they're there to enforce order on the ship (including guarding things, like the captain's cabin), and provide help in combat (shooting muskets from the rigging and manning cannons during battles, boarding ships, assaults on land).

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

uPen posted:

Books then thread.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

Sax Solo posted:

Oh for me it's gotta be the Waakzaamheid.

I'm on my third circumnavigation and just started Desolation Island - really looking forward to this part.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
If they focused on Maturin and his intelligence activities more, they could do a lot of on-shore stuff. (which, if I remember, the movie didn't do anything with?) Plus with stuff like the Volume (the thing they used in the Mandalorian) they could do a lot of ship shots without building a whole ship. Or do a bunch of a below-decks stuff like Hornblower did.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

builds character posted:

Spoilers for folks who haven't read all the books. Don't babbington and mrs. wray end up happily married?

Yes, they do and she's quite bubbly for him. e.g. "Charles"

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Yea it's great. This is my first time through the series so only my second book. Did not expect the absurdity of the whole walking across France in a bear's skin. I'm also a big fan of Austen and a lot of the interactions with/about the women have that air.

I've re-read the series 4 or 5 times at this point, but man I would give just about anything to read it again for the first time. I'm very envious.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

thekeeshman posted:

Thanks for posting this, it's really well done and clarified a lot of things I didn't have clear in my mind from the books.

Likewise, and I just finished (most of) what must be my 7th or 8th circumnavigation, and I even have some of the companion books that explains things.

I said most of there because I decided to pick things up in The Ionian Mission rather than just start at the beginning. The 'middle' of the series is my favorite part, although I did go back and read the first few chapters of Master and Commander because it's always fun reading about when Jack and Stephen first met.

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]
Keep on truckin'. (Or sailin'?)

The series has some really good arcs especially later on. I can't imagine reading them when they were being published, waiting years in between books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hannibal
Jul 27, 2001

[img-planes]

A Real Horse posted:

So my dad and I do a two person book club, and my most recent pick was Master and Commander. I am 40 pages and I’m going to have to read this entire series, aren’t I? It is already an absolute delight to read.

Also when Dr Maturin first wakes up after dining with Aubrey and thinks to himself “Christ, another day.” I have never related to a fictional character so hard in my life.

Maybe one of my favorite parts of M&C. I sometimes go back and just read the first couple of chapters just for that part.